Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Forerunner 105 Replacement

Options
  • 23-03-2016 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

So I have been using my Forerunner 105 quite happily for the last few years, however the battery is no longer holding charge.

I would like to invest in a new multisport watch with approx the same functionality, but i do not even know where to start.

Any recommendations? Baring in mind I have a limited budget.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

what do you use it for? just running? biking as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭danburke

Running and riding.

see if you can still pick up a 910xt cheaply, they were going for a bargain with the release of the 920 and probably the best option if you want for both sports.

mossym wrote: »
    see if you can still pick up a 910xt cheaply, they were going for a bargain with the release of the 920 and probably the best option if you want for both sports.

Thanks for the suggestion! would these be the cheapest alternative?

danburke wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion! would these be the cheapest alternative?

probably not.the running focused watches , the forerunner series is probably still cheaper but i'm not sure if the cheap models support bike functionality. but having done so for a year, the idea of using a running focused watch for biking doesn't appeal to me. even though they can do it, they're pretty rubbish at it.

if price is your main focus, look at the lower end of the forerunner range and see if any support biking.

the other option to look at is the new vivoactive HR. probably the nicest solution for your needs but no idea if the budget works or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I thought all if not most of the Forerunners have Run and Bike. I'd generally favour Garmin, the newer watches are pretty slick.

I've a 920 but only for the additional swimming and tri. The 910 and 920 are fairly chunky.

Useful link here in the various watches
    http://www.220triathlon.com/gear/run/gps-run-watches-10-of-the-best-tested-and-rated/10875-2.html

i thought so as well, but looking at some webpages they seem to suggest they don't.

Yeah, I don't think the entry level forerunners support biking anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

They do.

The older FR10 / 15 / 110 / 220 / 225 don't do bike or other sports they are set up only for running.

The new versions 25 / 230 / 235/ 630/635 / 920 etc all have the same firmware so you can drag and drop apps for different sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

what about looking for an used foreunner 105 ...
    you were happy, know how it works ...
    KISS
    danburke wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

So I have been using my Forerunner 105 quite happily for the last few years, however the battery is no longer holding charge.

I would like to invest in a new multisport watch with approx the same functionality, but i do not even know where to start.

Any recommendations? Baring in mind I have a limited budget.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I suppose as an intermediate solution, that could be a really good idea.

if you can find a unit that hasn't been used much would make sense, battery on a well used unit of the same vintage of yours likely to be in a near condition to your own, they only have a finite number of charges/usage life.

if you're happy to keep using the 105, did you check to see if a replacement battery can be ordered or if anyone offers a service to replace the battery?

No, I haven't looked into a battery replacement. I'll have an ol google now.

mossym wrote: »
    if you can find a unit that hasn't been used much would make sense, battery on a well used unit of the same vintage of yours likely to be in a near condition to your own, they only have a finite number of charges/usage life.

if you're happy to keep using the 105, did you check to see if a replacement battery can be ordered or if anyone offers a service to replace the battery?

Thanks for your suggestion. It appears a relatively cheap ipod mini battery can be used for my model forerunner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQTHF76B6A

Advertisement