Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I consider this car?

• 23-03-2016 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Ran a cartell check on this. Only flag is that it has changed hands in the last month. Guy seems to buy/sell cars so maybe that's not too much of an issue. Price is competitive but maybe that's because nobody like an underpowered 1.4 focus! Looks to be in great nick and nct till oct. Mileage is average.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/focus/2005-ford-focus/10031637

Any reason I should avoid? I put an offer just in case but I can obviously walk away if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Engine light is on for a start, front and rear reg plates don't match (could be absolutely nothing but I'd check for work done at the front), ex lease car too.

Ask the seller if they are a trader or if it's their own car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If's a wheeler dealer flipping over cars then chances he knows very little about the history of the car other than looking it over when he bought it. Personally I'd rather buy from a genuine owner who has a bit of knowledge about it's history rather than a guy who just bought it to sell it on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

All good points, thanks! Hadn't even noticed the dash light in my haste. I'm going to go and see it anyway cause I'd like to know if I'll even enjoy driving a focus anyway!

Does anyone have any recommendations of other cars in the same vein? I'm not concerned with power and I want to keep it under 1.6 for tax and insurance purposes. I want a relatively large hatchback with 5 doors. 2005 is as old as I'm willing to go, and I'd like a modern comfy interior. One thing I can't stand is old creaky plastic panels in cars! I want to spend somewhere in the region of 2000-3000.

Ignore his guff about the wife wanting a smaller car to be honest. I can't imagine it's true. Take it he's a small time trader and check EVERYTHING about the car.

The 1.4l is heavy on juice in those as the car is heavy and the engine underpowered.

After that pretty much accept the car will need a full service,possibly timing belt (I don't know if it's belt or chain) check the tyres and for crash damage. Check any service history available for the car. Check that engine light is on, if it's not on it has possibly been switched off and no repair carried out.

I'm not suggesting the person is being dishonest but with used cars make the proper checks regardless of the scéal the seller gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

All good points, thanks! Hadn't even noticed the dash light in my haste. I'm going to go and see it anyway cause I'd like to know if I'll even enjoy driving a focus anyway!

Does anyone have any recommendations of other cars in the same vein? I'm not concerned with power and I want to keep it under 1.6 for tax and insurance purposes. I want a relatively large hatchback with 5 doors. 2005 is as old as I'm willing to go, and I'd like a modern comfy interior. One thing I can't stand is old creaky plastic panels in cars! I want to spend somewhere in the region of 2000-3000.

We have a '05 Focus 1.4 since '08. Currently at 317k kms and going strong. The handling and gearbox are better than most of the similar cars out there. Only problems in all that time has been a new starter and alternator needed. Starter a few years ago and alternator last Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Engine light is on for a start, front and rear reg plates don't match (could be absolutely nothing but I'd check for work done at the front), ex lease car too.

Thats a light for a blown bulb is it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

millington wrote: »
    Thats a light for a blown bulb is it not?

No its the engine light.

The one on the left is for the temperature outside.

OP, just a bit of advice. I picked up a 2005 Focus last month for €1200 with 6 months tax and test on top of a decent service history with the TB done last November. This one is seriously over priced in comparison. I have had one tiny issue with it since I bought it which was fixed with a €40 camshaft sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Don't ask them outright though.

A very simple "I'm enquiring about the car you have for sale?" - If they ask which one or make a guess such as the "The focus is it?" then you know they are a dealer.

Naos wrote: »
    Don't ask them outright though.

A very simple "I'm enquiring about the car you have for sale?" - If they ask which one or make a guess such as the "The focus is it?" then you know they are a dealer.

It's all on adverts

It's all on adverts

What do you mean?

• Advertisement

That's not an engine light. Also what's wrong with the plates?

That's not an engine light. Also what's wrong with the plates?

On the right it is. Look twice, speak once.

The plates aren't the sane front and back. It could just be that it was broken and replaced or that the car was crashed and it replaced as part of the repair. Nothing definitive but just requires a quick look to establish why.

What do you mean?

You type the questions put to the ad, the seller knows already which car you're calling about.

OP check the quick clear windscreen is still fitted and if possible functioning. It's great.

Also seats look filthy so budget for a valet

On the right it is. Look twice, speak once.

Ah yes - fair enough I was wrong there good spot ;)
    You type the questions put to the ad, the seller knows already which car you're calling about.

I don't really get the above. What I meant to write was call them via phone and enquire about the car, if they know straight away they could be a private seller.

So I went out to have a look at the car. First thing I noticed was a nasty mark above the back-left wheel which had been painted. However, when I was checking that out I noticed that the back wheel was also askew! I took it for a quick spin round the block cause I wanted to see what a focus was like to drive and tbh I couldn't feel anything wrong, but I steered clear anyway. He also played dumb about most of the issues I pointed out.
    The engine light was on but very faintly and there were marks on the dash glass like someone had been messing with it so that was another red flag. Ah well I'll have to keep looking! Glad I went anyway because I realised that I really like how they drive, so I'll keep hunting for one!

Anyone have any ideas of other similar cars? I listed what criteria I'm looking for on the first page and I wouldn't mind a few options.

So I went out to have a look at the car. First thing I noticed was a nasty mark above the back-left wheel which had been painted. However, when I was checking that out I noticed that the back wheel was also askew! I took it for a quick spin round the block cause I wanted to see what a focus was like to drive and tbh I couldn't feel anything wrong, but I steered clear anyway. He also played dumb about most of the issues I pointed out.
    The engine light was on but very faintly and there were marks on the dash glass like someone had been messing with it so that was another red flag. Ah well I'll have to keep looking! Glad I went anyway because I realised that I really like how they drive, so I'll keep hunting for one!

Anyone have any ideas of other similar cars? I listed what criteria I'm looking for on the first page and I wouldn't mind a few options.

There are plenty of nice Focus out there for much cheaper than he was asking. See my earlier post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

In light of the engine light looking dim and the dash looking as though it was messed with.

05-WW-1450
    05 WW 1450
    05WW1450

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

If you look at his other ads you can clearly see he's a dealer, anyway I think you made the right choice dodging this.

There are plenty of nice Focus out there for much cheaper than he was asking. See my earlier post.

I was just going to edit my reply there regarding that! That's an extremely cheap price! A wheeler-dealer guy I know thought that 2000 was too cheap for that car and said that good 05 1.4 focuses should be closer to 3500! haha. Glad it worked out for you, and I'd be ecstatic if I could find that good a deal myself! Was it in decent condition cosmetically as well?

• Advertisement

I was just going to edit my reply there regarding that! That's an extremely cheap price! A wheeler-dealer guy I know thought that 2000 was too cheap for that car and said that good 05 1.4 focuses should be closer to 3500! haha. Glad it worked out for you, and I'd be ecstatic if I could find that good a deal myself! Was it in decent condition cosmetically as well?

Absolutely perfect interior, a very slight scratch on the passenger door which I fixed. I am still shocked I got it for so cheap, he was asking for €1600 but he took €1200 which actually made me slightly suspicious of it.

Good move walking away op. Lots of them out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd look at the Toyota Corolla hatchback too, 1.4 litre engine is one of the most powerful in that class and Corollas are very reliable. However you may have to drop back to a 2004 to buy one for similar money to that Focus

Advertisement