Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus from Bratislava to Vienna info?

Options
  • 23-03-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

We are flying to Bratislava in April, we plan to visit Ljubljana in Slovenia also we want to get a bus to Vienna and then a train from Vienna to Ljubljana. My question is can we just board the bus from Bratislava to Vienna on the day it will be early on Friday 15th (as we need to get a connection). Can you tell me are we ok paying our tickets on the day (it would be easier for us) instead of paying online, how long does the journey take, are the buses frequent, how much is a single ticket also more importantly when do the early buses leave for Vienna as we need to get a connecting train there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I take it you are flying to Bratislava with Ryanair?
    If so, your best option would be to book seats with their transfer bus service from the airport to Vienna. The bus runs in schedule with the flight as in it departs 40 minutes or so after the plane lands in Bratislava from just outside the arrivals area. I think you can pay the bus driver too if you rather not book in advance, but that way you are not guaranteed a seat on the bus so it might be a risky option.
    I think it costs about €10-€15 for a single and the journey is very quick...around an hour and fifteen minutes to Vienna.
    Be prepared to see loads and loads of windmills on the bus journey:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thanks for the info I meant to say we are flying in in the afternoon in Brat and staying overnight there so we get to see a few hours of the city. Then getting up early next day to get bus to Vienna. We figured better to leave early as we arent staying in Vienna so we need to get a connecting train journey to Lubijana we arent keen on bussing it from Vienna. I think we will be able to get an early bus from Brat and pay on the day but not sure how the train will work if we can pay online beforehand or will they let us pay at the Vienna station. I know some European station work different to Irish ones where you have to have a seat booked before you step on board. Im wondering will we have to sort this out before we leave Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a ferry service which takes you right into the centre of Vienna from Bratislava, takes about 2/3 hours. It's been 8 years or so since I took it but it was a beautiful trip. If the times work for you it might be a more pleasant way of making the journey?

https://bratislava-slovakia.eu/travel/vienna-bratislava/boat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thanks not too worried about the journey from Brat to Vienna bussing it is fine just need to sort out the second leg from Vienna to Lub. Slovenia hard to navigate round all the sights far away from each other, no trains and then have to make our way back to Brat to get to Dublin but it will be worth it I've always wanted to see Slovenia and we get to see Slovakia too.

Advertisement