Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Belfast Intermodal Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Good to see. I expect that this will result in a journey time reduction for the Enterprise service. In my experience you can be anything between 10 minutes and 25 minutes travelling between the Donegal Rd junction and Belfast Central, then you have to hike to the City Centre when you get off.

Any chance of improved line speeds between Newry and Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jeez, I've tried to get my head around this before and would like somebody to explain it to me. Does this mean that Larne and Bangor trains will also run to the new 'hub'?

It seems strange that in Dublin everybody moans about not having a central railway station, but after the creation of Belfast Central and the new bridge linking the Larne line the powers that be want to go back in time. As I say, I just want it clearly explained - please. :confused:

Larne and Bangor trains already run to Victoria St. Belfast Central Station is further from the City Centre than Great Victoria Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

cgcsb wrote: »
    Larne and Bangor trains already run to Victoria St. Belfast Central Station is further from the City Centre than Great Victoria Street.

Ah there you are - thank you! As an ex.railway enthusiast who traveled to Belfast by train only a few months ago I wasn't even aware of that. I couldn't agree more that Central is anything but 'central'. So, from what you're saying it sounds like a step in the right direction.

How about reopening the line to Armagh?

I doubt NIR will reopening anything in my lifetime. The line between Belfast and Newry is in a dire state for such an important line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Since the new pedestrian walkway opened opposite Central Station past the Waterfront Hall, Central is far more accessible than in previous times.

It all depends upon where you are going to in Belfast city centre.

GVS has the benefit of having the bus station adjacent to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Central station was opened at a time when the actual Belfast City centre was dying due to the Troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It was announed in the past days that the intermodal hub is to be named Belfast Grand Central Station

Its being relocated a bit further from the city, but will see the Dublin trains move back to an actual central location - the old Central Station (now Laynon place) was only central in name, or maybe central in the sense it was the middle of nowhere.

Its not just a transport hub but they are also building housing and office/ retail space which they are calling Weavers Cross as part of the development .

In the bigger scheme of things I cant see how its THAT much better than the old arrangement except that the Dublin trains can terminate there, plus they gain 5 extra bus bays - so its more an urban renewal project than a quantam leap in public transport integration

Advertisement