Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat roof definition ?

• 23-03-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

From an architectural and or a planning perspective is there a technical definition of a flat roof.

Specifically, I was wondering if there was any particular angle of pitch above or below which a roof becomes defined as flat ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    From an architectural and or a planning perspective is there a technical definition of a flat roof.

Specifically, I was wondering if there was any particular angle of pitch above or below which a roof becomes defined as flat ?

architecturally, that point is usually 10 degrees or under, as defined in BS 6229:2003

planning wise, the roof covering usually is the determining factor, as slates / tiles cant be used under 15 degrees

why is it an issue? the eaves restriction usually has a big factor on planning exemptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

sydthebeat wrote: »
    architecturally, that point is usually 10 degrees or under, as defined in BS 6229:2003

planning wise, the roof covering usually is the determining factor, as slates / tiles cant be used under 15 degrees

why is it an issue? the eaves restriction usually has a big factor on planning exemptions

Thanks for that information - it is helpful.

The issue arose recently with a household insurer that did not want to cover a flat roof. Most of them are alright with flat roofs but some are not.

I was just curious to know, in technical terms, where the tipping point lay on the issue of whether or not a roof is flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The insurer will definitely have that written down somewhere I their documentation.

If you're installing one now and worried about same you could ring your insurer to ask.

Advertisement