Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adare (Parking & Food)

• 23-03-2016 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

I am travelling to Kerry on Friday and will be stopping in Adare for a break. Where is the best place to park up and go for some grub?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's a public car park at the rear of the church as well as on street parking.

Coming from Limerick, turn right off the roundabout and the entrance to the car park is on your right.

Lena's do decent bar food and there's a few restaurants around there too.

Edit - just saw that you may be travelling to Kerry. If you're at peak time I'd bypass Adare completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's Good Friday. Lena's etc will probably be closed.
    The Good room (opposite The DunravenArms) do a nice range of Lunchtime food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Food in the Dunraven bar is good from what I've heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

phog wrote: »
    Edit - just saw that you may be travelling to Kerry. If you're at peak time I'd bypass Adare completely.

Think of it as a penance. For the day that's in it. Blessed are the adare bound motorists, for they shall have much time to contemplate.

edit, missed the obvious Kerry bound "thine Kingdom will come........................................................ eventually"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

If I am coming to Kerry via Adare, is there a way to avoid the traffic, a road I can enter to come out at the other side of adare, I find the congestion and back up terrible, was in traffic for an hour this week just crawling, and stopped, maps do not give great detail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

goat2 wrote: »
    If I am coming to Kerry via Adare, is there a way to avoid the traffic, a road I can enter to come out at the other side of adare, I find the congestion and back up terrible, was in traffic for an hour this week just crawling, and stopped, maps do not give great detail

Where in Kerry are you heading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

And where are you coming from...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

The Adare bottleneck is a f*cking joke. a bypass should have been constructed years ago.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Where in Kerry are you heading?

Killarney, Via CastleIsland, Farranfore

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

daedal wrote: »
    The Adare bottleneck is a f*cking joke. a bypass should have been constructed years ago.

You can blame the good people of Adare for stopping it with their mad petition for fear of losing passing trade!!

• Advertisement

Yes there is but there's a maze of roads out there. the best option (road wise) is the R519 towards Ballingarry and then next left, over the river Maigue and turn left onto the L1420, past the Woodlands and onto the N21 at the Lantern Lodge Roundabout.

Is there's tailbacks into Adare you could try turning right after passing through Croagh somewhere around the sign for Clonshire (that's off to the left)

I hope this works - the point you're aiming for on the R519 is here then follow my route above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

phog wrote: »
    Yes there is but there's a maze of roads out there. the best option (road wise) is the R519 towards Ballingarry and then next left, over the river Maigue and turn left onto the L1420, past the Woodlands and onto the N21 at the Lantern Lodge Roundabout.

Is there's tailbacks into Adare you could try turning right after passing through Croagh somewhere around the sign for Clonshire (that's off to the left)

I hope this works - the point you're aiming for on the R519 is here then follow my route above.

Of course, the OP should reverse your directions as they're traveling _to_ Kerry.

Of course, the OP should reverse your directions as they're traveling _to_ Kerry.

oops

Then I'd go through Patrickswell village, straight through at Lucey's Cross, over the motorway at Mount Earl Bridge and then take my 2nd right (1st right will bring you onto the motorway/N21). Cross the L4120 at the 5 Cross Roads and the Thatch pub should be on your right, over the river, turn right onto R519, then turn left at the T junction on the N21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

I assume OP made it to Kerry 2 years ago or thereabouts.

Read the Thread properly. The more recent question was asked 2 days ago...

PetKing wrote: »
    I assume OP made it to Kerry 2 years ago or thereabouts.

I did not want to be opening a new thread, and I am well able to make my way to Kerry,
    I was just asking a simple question, as I always find that Adare for those of us that want to drive on and not stop is terribly choked up and busy most of the time.
    Adare is a beautiful place, but it is choked up by having traffic running through the village, it should be bypassed so that the people that live there and those passing on outside the village that want to stop can do so peacefully.

@goat2, what time of day (and Day) do you anticipate hitting Adare ?
    Any time before 4:30 (apart from Friday...4ish onwards) and after 6:30 should be fairly smooth on Weekdays.
    Weekends can be slow at any time, but you should get to the Woodlands Hotel Roundabout easily enough and make a decision there.
    The route suggested by Phog would be the best if hitting it at peak time, but be ready for a couple of miles of very narrow twisty roads.
    Basically, The Thatch Bar (V94 H298) is what you are looking for. Get that up on Google Maps and the rest should make sense. :)

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    @goat2, what time of day (and Day) do you anticipate hitting Adare ?
    Any time before 4:30 (apart from Friday...4ish onwards) and after 6:30 should be fairly smooth on Weekdays.
    Weekends can be slow at any time, but you should get to the Woodlands Hotel Roundabout easily enough and make a decision there.
    The route suggested by Phog would be the best if hitting it at peak time, but be ready for a couple of miles of very narrow twisty roads.
    Basically, The Thatch Bar (V94 H298) is what you are looking for. Get that up on Google Maps and the rest should make sense. :)

It was about 5 or 5.30 on Friday, I have learned my lesson, but the traffic on both directions seemed to be backed up

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

Firstly there hasn’t been a petition from locals stopping a bypass. They are crying out for it. One of the proposed routes meant less bridges (meaning cheaper to build) but would have cut through huge areas of Natural woodland & this was what was objected to & they wanted the more expensive route. Not a complete objection.
    For those thinking of bypassing the village via Woodlands Hotel it’s not that narrow a road just a few sharp bends. Please show respect to the families who live on it and slow the bloody hell down. Coming around a bend to meet a lunatic speeding around on the wrong side is not much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It depends on what part of Kerry your coming from but I often use the Foynes Road coming to and from Limerick city to bypass Adare. The 'shortcut' around The Woodlands isn't much of a shortcut as the traffic moves through Adare quite quickly. I've timed it with other people sitting in the traffic and we both seem to get to the other side around the same time.

• Advertisement

Athdara wrote: »
    Firstly there hasn’t been a petition from locals stopping a bypass. They are crying out for it. One of the proposed routes meant less bridges (meaning cheaper to build) but would have cut through huge areas of Natural woodland & this was what was objected to & they wanted the more expensive route. Not a complete objection.
    For those thinking of bypassing the village via Woodlands Hotel it’s not that narrow a road just a few sharp bends. Please show respect to the families who live on it and slow the bloody hell down. Coming around a bend to meet a lunatic speeding around on the wrong side is not much fun.

I can understand then, it would be wrong to cut down swaths of woodland for a road, it took hundreds of yrs to get to this stage,
    I also understand that the village being choked up every day is a nuisance to the people living there, there are lovely shops, cafes, and so on there, would be lovely to stop there if this traffic was not on it.
    They should build and avoid the forested and woodland areas to get around it.
    We all pay enough motor tax , with more than one car to most homes, it is a lot of revnue.

Advertisement