Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Field of (Dead?) Trees M9 Motorway S/B

Options
  • 23-03-2016 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Curious to know provenance behind this "Field of (Dead?) Trees" on L.H.S. as one goes S/B on M9 Motorway please.?

Are they dead? If so why haven't they been felled or why haven't they fallen of own accord and what's caused them to die?

Don't know how long they've been in this state & it's like an Art Installation.

Hope the photo rings a bell, not sure what part of Kildare the motorway is running parallel to, guessing Kilcullen?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Curious to know provenance behind this "Field of (Dead?) Trees" on L.H.S. as one goes S/B on M9 Motorway please.?

Are they dead? If so why haven't they been felled or why haven't they fallen of own accord and what's caused them to die?

Don't know how long they've been in this state & it's like an Art Installation.

Hope the photo rings a bell, not sure what part of Kildare the motorway is running parallel to, guessing Kilcullen?

Thanks.

It's close to Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ABarrie

Hi!
    I have been so curious about these trees for years and finally made a point of going to see them a few days ago.
    I just signed up to boards just to write this reply so I can't post links or images unfortunately because I'm a newbie.
    If you take the Castledermot turnoff the M9 and head through the town towards Moone High Cross Pub then take the L8049 over the Bridge on the M9 you can park at the gate onto the land on the Southbound side of the road and there's an underpass that brings you directly into the field with the trees. In terms of actual information about them... I still have so many questions but what I do know is that a farmer owns a lot of forest and working land in the area and for some unknown reason cuts down interestingly shaped trees from his land, brings them here to this triangular field, strips them of their bark and sticks them in the ground! We reckon his farm is on the other side of the motorway. They've been there since at least 2009 when that section of the motorway was opened - because of where they are I'd say he started putting them there after the motorway was built. A lot of them have started to rot and fall apart or fall over. We asked a local woman who was walking if she knew anything about them but I'm not sure she fully understood what we were asking about but did say that the family that own the land around there are 'tree mad'. I took a load of photos and got some footage with a drone. When we were there there was a tractor in the field with a a freshly cut weird shaped tree in a trailer which I assume the farmer is planning on stripping and sticking up and that would make 15 of them standing. The whole thing looks like it takes A LOT of effort and there's even a large tree in the middle that has been stuck back together with some iron support plates and bolts. It's just bizarre and I need answers! I will continue searching!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd love to see some pics of this. I may even go on a road trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Could be wildlife related
    Dozens of wild birds and mammals use tree cavities for shelter, resting or nesting. Some excavate their own cavities in the decaying wood of dead and dying trees. Others wait for a woodpecker to do the work and then occupy and enlarge the cavity.

These cavities in dead and dying trees – as well as some living trees – are invaluable to bluebirds, kestrels, wood ducks, flickers, pileated woodpeckers, chickadees and many other species. Their limited availability makes each one a precious commodity in any forest, woodlot or backyard

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

I always wondered about these- thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Woodhenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Joe Public wrote: »
    Woodhenge?

Nope, years that's in Wiltshire....
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodhenge

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That field is part of the farm connected to Belan Lodge B&B and Guest Accommodation, there are nice field and forestry trails there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I saw him putting these in years ago and always thought it was some mad idea to stop a CPO on his land as the motorway was going through it. I recall at the time he was "planting" them upside down and I still see no earthly reason for it but it certainly is a curiosity. It wouldn't really be worth a visit imo.

It's here for those interested

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.9557815,-6.8566211,446m/data=!3m1!1e3

Advertisement