Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westbury tree felling

• 23-03-2016 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why a good number of trees have been cut down in Westbury Corbally over the last number of weeks, disease?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

i don't know the reason but there is a a enormous amount of trees being cut down or cut back completely this year. Limerick Lawn Tennis club looks horrendous after what they have done to their trees. The green area on the Ennis Road by Greystones also had some beautiful trees cut right down to stumps, Scoil Carmel on SCR - again beautiful trees cut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Loads done around Dooradoyle Raheen too. Public and private land, evergreen, deciduous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

It drives me nuts to see beautiful mature trees in our city getting butchered for no good reason.

Ever notice how artists renditions of proposed new buildings and street renovations in Limerick always show full mature trees on our streets - there is a reason for that, they make the place look more aesthetically pleasing and liveable.

But then the council come along and butcher them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

Red King wrote: »
    It drives me nuts to see beautiful mature trees in our city getting butchered for no good reason.

Ever notice how artists renditions of proposed new buildings and street renovations in Limerick always show full mature trees on our streets - there is a reason for that, they make the place look more aesthetically pleasing and liveable.

But then the council come along and butcher them.[/quote,

AFAIK serious damage being done by Roots to Cables Drains Paths etc also considering Storm Darwin ever occurs again need to be on top of it !

Derbhoy wrote: »

But then the council come along and butcher them.[/quote,

AFAIK serious damage being done by Roots to Cables Drains Paths etc also considering Storm Darwin ever occurs again need to be on top of it !

I'd like to know if this is as a result of poor planning or is it somewhat inevitable.

As in, at the design phase of any street can they minimise the damage by choosing appropriate trees and giving them enough space.

Storms are seasonal, yes certain trees need to be suitably pruned but is this what is happening or is it widescale indiscriminate butchery?

Given their previous form, I'd be inclined to believe some pencil pusher in an office just gave the go ahead to lop them all down without a second thought to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Butchered just about every tree in a ditch around meelick too :( place looks bare

cronin_j wrote: »
    Butchered just about every tree in a ditch around meelick too :( place looks bare

Butchery is about the best description for the work on trees on fr russell road and near Collins pub. I understand trees need to be trimmed sometimes, but this is zero blade all over rather a short back and sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

cronin_j wrote: »

Some of those trees needed to be felled but it looks like they broke them rather than cut them. Badly hocked really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Below is from Cathal Crowe's FB page on March 4th

WESTBURY TREES:
    Following last year's storms the Council undertook an audit of trees in the estate. The poplar trees were seen as being very dangerous and susceptible to falling. Poplar trees are also notorious for their expansive root network. Roots are damaging sections of footpath, road, boundary walls and underground pipe networks. The council will use a grinder to remove the stumps and replace some of the cut down trees with semi-mature native trees

As I suspected. More poor planning - planting trees that are unsuitable for the area.

At least they are trying to rectify it but if they got it right in the first place they wouldn't be spending more taxpayers money trying to fix the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

As I suspected. More poor planning - planting trees that are unsuitable for the area.

At least they are trying to rectify it but if they got it right in the first place they wouldn't be spending more taxpayers money trying to fix the problem.

Was it the council, the developer or the residents that planted the trees?

Maybe the planning laws should only allow for the planting of indigenous trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Below is from Cathal Crowe's FB page on March 4th

WESTBURY TREES:
    Following last year's storms the Council undertook an audit of trees in the estate. The poplar trees were seen as being very dangerous and susceptible to falling. Poplar trees are also notorious for their expansive root network. Roots are damaging sections of footpath, road, boundary walls and underground pipe networks. The council will use a grinder to remove the stumps and replace some of the cut down trees with semi-mature native trees

, some of the Westbury residents are under the impression that some of the tree's were removed to allow the new double decker buses manoeuvre around the estate

, some of the Westbury residents are under the impression that some of the tree's were removed to allow the new double decker buses manoeuvre around the estate

Fox-Mulder-fox-mulder-25366403-1024-768.png

Interesting theory....

But the widespread reported incidents of tree mutilation would suggest that is only one of three possible scenarios:
    1) inexplicable hatred of trees.
    2) decent bus routes (if only there were real bus routemaps that we could cross reference the tree mutilations with!)
    3) aliens

Which do you think is more likely???? I'm going with aliens, because who hates trees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Drove into Westbury earlier and at least 2 trees on the left do have large visible roots running right up to the kerbing/road.

I still think the trees looked butchered but possibly the root damage argument does hold water.

Advertisement