Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre or ADSL ??

Options
  • 23-03-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Fibre broadband came into my area after a long wait, I live 580 meters from the cabinet as the crow flies and get an ADSL line speed of 19mb (I get 16MB max on speed test).
    I presumed I was going to get high Fibre speeds considering I live so close the cabinet (I can see it from my house) but when I checked my max Fibre line speed it was 12MB download. I am now in a dilemma to stay with ADSL with 16MB down with pretty bad ping and upload or go to the supposed 12mb Fibre with a probable better upload and better ping. I also live in a family of 5 so there are a lot of other devices on the internet, so which would fair better handling that ? I do a lot of uploading and most importantly I like to play a lot of games at the weekends so which would you recommend if you were in my situation or has anyone been in my situation before and what was your experience ?
    Thanks

(By the way, what sort of arseway rollout plan do these guys have, we've been waiting years for Fibre with most of the parish having decent ADSL speeds so literally the Fibre they have been pumping millions into is only useful for less than 1 percent of the population in the parish, I could puc a sliotar from the cabinet further than where the Fibre speeds reach which is a bit of a joke, I guess the Fibre won't be useful until FTTH which will be another long wait)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Fibre broadband came into my area after a long wait, I live 580 meters from the cabinet as the crow flies and get an ADSL line speed of 19mb (I get 16MB max on speed test).
    I presumed I was going to get high Fibre speeds considering I live so close the cabinet (I can see it from my house) but when I checked my max Fibre line speed it was 12MB download. I am now in a dilemma to stay with ADSL with 16MB down with pretty bad ping and upload or go to the supposed 12mb Fibre with a probable better upload and better ping. I also live in a family of 5 so there are a lot of other devices on the internet, so which would fair better handling that ? I do a lot of uploading and most importantly I like to play a lot of games at the weekends so which would you recommend if you were in my situation or has anyone been in my situation before and what was your experience ?
    Thanks

(By the way, what sort of arseway rollout plan do these guys have, we've been waiting years for Fibre with most of the parish having decent ADSL speeds so literally the Fibre they have been pumping millions into is only useful for less than 1 percent of the population in the parish, I could puc a sliotar from the cabinet further than where the Fibre speeds reach which is a bit of a joke, I guess the Fibre won't be useful until FTTH which will be another long wait)
    Hi  SilageIsLove,

Thanks for getting in touch. Is your service with eir?

Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SilageIsLove

I'm with Vodafone but I was told by them yee own the line and they piggyback off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

I'm with Vodafone but I was told by them yee own the line and they piggyback off it
    Have you contacted Vodaphone and requested for them to prequal the line for efibre SilageIsLove?

Pamela 

Advertisement