Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting an abandoned warehouse

Options
  • 23-03-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here would know how to go about renting an abandoned warehouse in/around Cork City? I've tried a few property agents and got blank stares. Any ideas on where to start the search?

Regards,

Padraig

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What have you tried to track down the warehouse owner?

Any idea who the last occupier was, perhaps you could start your search from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 paddy_o_generic

Graham wrote: »
    What have you tried to track down the warehouse owner?

Any idea who the last occupier was, perhaps you could start your search from there.

Thanks for the reply Graham. No I'm not even at that stage yet. I'm still looking for a place to consider. Was hoping that estate agents would have some on their books. If all else fails I will just have to rent a regular warehouse but semi-abandoned would be better. Basic requirements are:
    - Protection from the elements but doesn't have to be perfect.
    - Large, maybe even with some outside grounds
    - Ideally with some kind of office(s), toilets, etc.
    - Ideally away from other businesses
    - An electricity supply, phones, internet etc. would be a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Sounds like you're setting up a breaking bad esque operation ;-)

I'm not entirely sure I get the difference between a semi-abandoned warehouse and a regular empty warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Just tell me when and where and I'll be there!

I assume it's rave, yes?

Now if you were to combine the theories from both Joseph and mahogonygaspipe you could have an incredibly cashflow positive business :)

Maybe 1 or 2 downsides.....

Haha, there's no nefarious usage planned. It's a storage type business (again nothing illegal) so the state of the warehouse is not important beyond the bare basics listed. A regular warehouse has all sorts of loading bays, rolling doors, racking etc that is just not needed and in fact would get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

When companies abandon warehouses they don't take the doors off. It sounds like you're just looking for a vacant commercial unit. Any commercial agent should be able to help you once you know how much floor space etc you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

surely a warehouse that has the lowest rent would be the better way to approach it.

A good quality warehouse in a less than good position even within a decent industrial area would be quite cheap.

A quick look on daft throws up loads of warehouses

8200 sq ft in Blackpool 25k a year - that's cheap!

http://www.daft.ie/cork/commercial-property-for-rent/industrial-unit-for-rent/lower-killeens-blackpool-cork-191532/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

This topic is really rather amusing but the message is in the title, abandoned. Suggests he is looking for somewhere that nobody "really" wants and that throwing a few bob somebody's way will secure it.

It gets really fun, when the ideal spec is listed in post#3.... toilets, offices, phones and internet plus a decent bit of open space. I was laughing so hard I nearly forgot about rates, insurance, planning needed? (undisclosed use). Unfortunately I lost composure again when I tried to look back as to what the actual space requirement was (none stated). I would venture that the estate agents were similarly incapacitated after his call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Storage of used tires until warehouse is full and then do a runner ?

Has been done before but just an idea.

VincePP wrote: »
    surely a warehouse that has the lowest rent would be the better way to approach it.

A good quality warehouse in a less than good position even within a decent industrial area would be quite cheap.

A quick look on daft throws up loads of warehouses

8200 sq ft in Blackpool 25k a year - that's cheap!

Thanks for the reply, yeah I've already done the online search but it's just not what I'm looking for. The idea I have is not my own, I've seen a guy in Vancouver, BC do this and run it out of a disused farm! He was making a killing on very little work.

A commercial warehouse would start eating into the margin particularly when you add in rates - it's just too "polished" for what I need it for!

pedronomix wrote: »
    This topic is really rather amusing but the message is in the title, abandoned. Suggests he is looking for somewhere that nobody "really" wants and that throwing a few bob somebody's way will secure it.

It gets really fun, when the ideal spec is listed in post#3.... toilets, offices, phones and internet plus a decent bit of open space. I was laughing so hard I nearly forgot about rates, insurance, planning needed? (undisclosed use). Unfortunately I lost composure again when I tried to look back as to what the actual space requirement was (none stated). I would venture that the estate agents were similarly incapacitated after his call.

I'm glad you're amused. If you like I can send you my full business plan and then forward my bank details, my mother's maiden name, some blank signed cheques and a really good business contact I have in the diamond mines in Botswana with $25million just waiting to be claimed :-P But unfortunately I see this account is closed... the boards.ie community mourns.

Obviously I'm not going to disclose all the details on an open forum, it was a single pointed question.

gar32 wrote: »
    Storage of used tires until warehouse is full and then do a runner ?

Has been done before but just an idea.

Nope. guess again.

Answers on the back of a 50euro note.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I think the issue is with how you're framing the question.

By the sounds of things you want an empty building, but one which is close enough to the city / town to be able to get both electricity and internet access.

Looking for an "abandoned" building won't get you very far

I'm not sure how the business parks are around Cork city, but in other parts of the country there are quite a few properties that were built just before the market crash and they're lying empty.

You might be better off driving around a few of the areas with business parks and try to identify buildings that fit your requirements.

Advertisement