Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 5 third party battery

Options
  • 23-03-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi All, i have/had an iphone 5. I was having problems with the battery life on the phone when i got it about 18 months ago. it would drop to 25% and turn off. When i was heavily pregnant my OH took the phone and got a battery put in it and that solved the problem. But 2 weeks ago the phone stopped working again. I couldn't update and restore the phone and it turns out all the problems are because of a third party battery that was put in to it. I brought the phone to an authorised apple repair shop and they have told me there is absolutely nothing that they can do because i put a third party battery in to the phone. It was explained to me that when the phone goes back to Apple they replace an apple battery with a new apple battery. if a phone goes back with a different battery in it, they won't replace it! I did ask the repair shop could i not pay for a new battery and really didnt get an answer.

Is there any company that can put an apple battery in to my phone or do i just forget about it??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 alanalien

missyb01 wrote: »
    Hi All, i have/had an iphone 5. I was having problems with the battery life on the phone when i got it about 18 months ago. it would drop to 25% and turn off. When i was heavily pregnant my OH took the phone and got a battery put in it and that solved the problem. But 2 weeks ago the phone stopped working again. I couldn't update and restore the phone and it turns out all the problems are because of a third party battery that was put in to it. I brought the phone to an authorised apple repair shop and they have told me there is absolutely nothing that they can do because i put a third party battery in to the phone. It was explained to me that when the phone goes back to Apple they replace an apple battery with a new apple battery. if a phone goes back with a different battery in it, they won't replace it! I did ask the repair shop could i not pay for a new battery and really didnt get an answer.

Is there any company that can put an apple battery in to my phone or do i just forget about it??

You can have any repair shop put a replacement battery into it for you and it should be fine if its just a battery issue. Apple will never fix a phone under warranty if it has third party parts in it but that doesn't mean third party parts do not work. Obviously there are good and bad 3rd party repair centres so just find a reputable one that gives you a warranty on the replacement battery and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Your phone might have been one of the affected serial numbers here:

https://www.apple.com/ie/support/iphone5-battery/

Having a third party component in your phone now makes that link a bit pointless for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

Just an update. I got a call from repair shop to say that apple have replaced my old phone with a new iPhone!!!! The guy in the shop said that this had never happened in the 5 years he'd been there and really had no explanation for me as to why they replaced it even though it had third party part in it. I wasn't going to argue with it and collected my phone.

Advertisement