Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine Connolly's sister to replace her on council

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

It's not her fault that the system says she gets to co-opt her successor, is it?

Politicians use that excuse very often. Does that make it right though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Lockstep wrote: »
    She's certainly entitled to pick whoever she chooses. But picking a family member who was rejected by the electorate is Irish nepotism at its finest. Doubtless, through her activism she knows an array of fine independent community activists who she could have co-opted.

I don't see the validity of your first point - how is a person who didn't get enough votes to be elected, somehow a worse choice than someone who didn't even bother their arse to stand?!

So if your family member is the person whose views most closely resemble yours (a reasonably likely prospect if you think about it logically), you can't pick them purely because it looks like nepotism even if the fact that they're your family...

The way I see it, if you're an independent you're actually damned no matter who you pick, because if they're not a family member they'll probably be someone else you've worked closely with... a CRONY!!

Which brings me back to my original point, what is the fairest way to deal with this situation so that the outgoing person isn't open to pissing and moaning from some quarter no matter what they do? Or maybe, just maybe, the world isn't perfect and neither is the solution in a case like this....... hmmmm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Lockstep wrote: »
    She's certainly entitled to pick whoever she chooses. But picking a family member who was rejected by the electorate is Irish nepotism at its finest. Doubtless, through her activism she knows an array of fine independent community activists who she could have co-opted.

Sure then they would endanger her chances of re-election if the said incumbent had notions of running in the next general election. They keep it in the family to ensure that they have their ear on the ground on local matters. Family will sacrifice for the greater good ie the TD Sister and allow her to take credit for whatever is achieved in the area

Sure, didn't Putin and the current Russian Prime Minister do a swap a number of years ago when Putin's first period as President came to an end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I don't see the validity of your first point - how is a person who didn't get enough votes to be elected, somehow a worse choice than someone who didn't even bother their arse to stand?!

So if your family member is the person whose views most closely resemble yours (a reasonably likely prospect if you think about it logically), you can't pick them purely because it looks like nepotism even if the fact that they're your family...

The way I see it, if you're an independent you're actually damned no matter who you pick, because if they're not a family member they'll probably be someone else you've worked closely with... a CRONY!!

Which brings me back to my original point, what is the fairest way to deal with this situation so that the outgoing person isn't open to pissing and moaning from some quarter no matter what they do? Or maybe, just maybe, the world isn't perfect and neither is the solution in a case like this....... hmmmm

But sure, look at the Seanand over the years. Avril Power couldn't get on the Fingal Council seat (I believe, twice)

Aodhan O'Riordan , who to be fair polled well and his old Constituency was carved up, was disliked by many, but has a chance of getting into the Upper House

Speaking of the Upper House, any notice the candidates for each party. Funny how the parties, especially Labour, have all of a sudden forgot about the gender quota

Is your surname Connolly by any chance?

• Advertisement

eezipc wrote: »
    Is your surname Connolly by any chance?

No, and I don't even know who she is or what constituency this happened in! I've got very little interest in politics - I don't know if I've ever even posted in this forum before - I just saw this thread in Latest and the title seemed interesting.

I like how you're attacking the poster and not the post though - logical argument not your forté..? ;)

No, and I don't even know who she is or what constituency this happened in! I've got very little interest in politics - I don't know if I've ever even posted in this forum before - I just saw this thread in Latest and the title seemed interesting.

I like how you're attacking the poster and not the post though - logical argument not your forté..? ;)

Sense of humour clearly not yours.....:D

eezipc wrote: »
    Sense of humour clearly not yours.....:D

So, you've no actual argument based on anything resembling a thought out or logical position, or a realistic alternative to the current set up. Glad we cleared that up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod

Back to discussing the topic please.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement