Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of Career Advice

Options
  • 23-03-2016 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

As the title says I am considering a change of career and moving into Development.

I am currently a part qualified accountant however I have found myself out of work since December and really I have never taken to accountancy so the prospect of moving in to a firm is tough to take at the moment.

So now I am thinking about pursuing my interest in IT / Computing. I've always been a bit of a geek at heart and really I enjoy tinkering / messing about - be it on computers / media centres / mechanically on cars etc.

I'm 28 years old and giving serious consideration to either a MSc Software Development conversion course in Queens Belfast or the equivalent in University of Ulster (I'm based in Belfast).

I've tried my hand at some web design through Team Treehouse and find it quite enjoyable but really I thrive and learn alot better in a classroom setting.

I suppose what I'd be keen to hear is if anybody on Boards has made a move at this age from accountancy or otherwise? how did it work out? and did you go through a MSc / taught course? Realistically also what is the employment situation like for graduates?

Cheers!! :o

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's quite a regular question, here's some of the previous answers that might help:

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=25&query=change+career

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm 33 and doing a 4 year honours degree in computing. I have experience and currently work in php, and decided to get a proper qualification if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

Yeah I was speaking with a friend who did the MSc one year intensive conversion course for non - IT backgrounds. He found it very good but still found coming out of it that jobs were extremely competitive.

I was under the impression that there is big demand for IT professionals at the moment? Espec in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

scrapsmac wrote: »
    Yeah I was speaking with a friend who did the MSc one year intensive conversion course for non - IT backgrounds. He found it very good but still found coming out of it that jobs were extremely competitive.

I was under the impression that there is big demand for IT professionals at the moment? Espec in NI?

There's a big demand for senior IT professionals, not so much juniors/graduates. There's still jobs for juniors though, just a bit more competitive.

I've done the degree part time while working full time. It's a big commitment but if you love it you'll have no issue. If it's what you want to do, go for it :)

thanks for all the advice guys. I've applied for the MSc in Belfast so fingers crossed!

That feeling of trying something new and fresh and really giving it your all is really exciting!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Firstly, the demand is far higher in the RoI. NI doesn't have the same volume of companies, private sector in particular, that Dublin has. As per the poster above, senior level professionals are in high demand. The junior/graduate jobs market is competitive.

Getting your foot is the door is important, so I would recommend that you select a course in which you have a work placement. I have worked with graduates from Queens and University of Ulster. The standard of graduate from Queens was very, very high. Best of luck with the application. Any questions, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Berserker wrote: »
    Firstly, the demand is far higher in the RoI. NI doesn't have the same volume of companies, private sector in particular, that Dublin has. As per the poster above, senior level professionals are in high demand. The junior/graduate jobs market is competitive.

About four years ago someone in N.I. was paying the recruiters to go to town on bringing in senior talent from the RoI. I was getting plagued with approaches even though I was living in Canada at the time. I remember though that the pay on offer was a significant discount to the going rate in RoI, but I guess beggars at that time could not be choosers (which was why I was in Canada, Ireland was a very tough market at that time).

Since then, not seen much N.I. related. Most of the action is definitely coming from around Dublin and of course London.

Niall

Berserker wrote: »

Getting your foot is the door is important, so I would recommend that you select a course in which you have a work placement. I have worked with graduates from Queens and University of Ulster. The standard of graduate from Queens was very, very high. Best of luck with the application. Any questions, just ask.

Thanks buddy! yeah I can pick between Queens and University of Ulster Coleraine but I'm living in the centre of Belfast so Queens is my preference - walking distance infact.

Anyway my application is in so fingers crossed. I've signed up with Team Treehouse in the meantime to get stuck in to some web site development (big interest of mine) and java.

Are there any books worth picking up for a total noob such as myself? Also what are some of the languages worth dipping in to before I start the course?

Some of my greatest strengths gained from previous employment are my project management skills and knowledge of business processes - so I'm really hoping I'll have an opportunity to apply these when I finish the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Thanks buddy! yeah I can pick between Queens and University of Ulster Coleraine but I'm living in the centre of Belfast so Queens is my preference - walking distance infact.

Anyway my application is in so fingers crossed. I've signed up with Team Treehouse in the meantime to get stuck in to some web site development (big interest of mine) and java.

Are there any books worth picking up for a total noob such as myself? Also what are some of the languages worth dipping in to before I start the course?

Some of my greatest strengths gained from previous employment are my project management skills and knowledge of business processes - so I'm really hoping I'll have an opportunity to apply these when I finish the course.

Wishing you the best of luck!

I made a similar move myself. Went back to college and did a conversion course. Got myself a low paying graduate developer job afterwards. Still there 4 years on and am now a senior developer. Your previous experience will definitely stand to you.

Advertisement