Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Events in Ballyhoura

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Looks fine again now

Yeah...could be an evening for both sun cream and the rain jacket :-)

Really enjoyed that....great course and perfect racing conditions.

I ran slightly better than expected too....hit a mini wall after 5k but stuck with and got back on track for a sprint finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Yeah...could be an evening for both sun cream and the rain jacket :-)

Thankfully stayed lovely for the race :) Really good event, well stewarded and laid out.

Really enjoyed that....great course and perfect racing conditions.

I ran slightly better than expected too....hit a mini wall after 5k but stuck with and got back on track for a sprint finish.

Agree 100%, I ran a good bit better than I had hoped so delighted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Posted a race report in my training log but suffice it to say, a new PB at 39:24 for the distance. Lovely evening for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Flat half on this weekend

The second annual Cahir Downhill Half Marathon will take place on Sunday, July 10th at 10 AM. Competitors will be bused from Cahir to the beginning in Kilbehenny, the gateway to the Galtees and running exactly 13.1 miles along a very good road surface to the historical town of Cahir, Co. Tipperary. This is technically a downhill route as 70m is lost from start to finish. The route is mostly flat with a few minor pulls. A great atmosphere is guaranteed. Very good value at €40 incl booking fee, two course meal, technical t-shirt, goody bag, physios and showers. ICAN Irish Children's Arthritis Network are delighted to be the charity partner for 2016.

https://www.strava.com/activities/264661911?fb_action_ids=1582966175248943&fb_action_types=fitness.runs&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B833372976736467%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22fitness.runs%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

https://www.mynextrun.com/cahir-downhill-half-marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

Here is a preview of the Cahir Downhill Half Marathon route,

https://youtu.be/jHzrr4_A8JE

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

First half marathon so looking forward to Sunday!! Hopefully the legs will make it through!!

It seems that this thread has grown beyond the Ballyhoura Active Series ;)

Might be useful to keep it going though to keep track of local races (??)....there seems to be no single source which covers everything.

Next on my list anyway is Curraghchase 10k on 21/08/2016.

And probably Charleville Half after that if training goes ok.

Would ideally like to do something else before then (10k or less) but doesn't seem to be a lot around. I've signed up for Parkrun alright but it's virtually impossible for me to get out to UL for 9.30 on a Saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

It seems that this thread has grown beyond the Ballyhoura Active Series ;)

Might be useful to keep it going though to keep track of local races (??)....there seems to be no single source which covers everything.

And probably Charleville Half after that if training goes ok.

Would ideally like to do something else before then (10k or less) but doesn't seem to be a lot around. I've signed up for Parkrun alright but it's virtually impossible for me to get out to UL for 9.30 on a Saturday morning

There is a parkrun in Newcastle-west as well

• Advertisement

The last race in Ballyhoura Active series which is the Charleville Half Marathon on 18th Sept. The early bird fee is closing today.
    http://www.charlevillehalf.com/registration/

They have teased an announcement on FB yesterday so hopefully be one or two more races as they are down to the last 3 now. A 10km at the end of September would be great!!

Will have to keep an eye out for you and Future Guy

Will have to keep an eye out for you and Future Guy

It may well be my debut event as an 'An Bru' runner - hoping to join up the club next week.

Saw the message on Facebook as well last night from Ballyhoura - another race or two would be great....not everyone is doing the Dublin marathon!

It may well be my debut event as an 'An Bru' runner - hoping to join up the club next week.

Saw the message on Facebook as well last night from Ballyhoura - another race or two would be great....not everyone is doing the Dublin marathon!

Oh best of luck with the club, something I have considered myself (either Charleville or Kilmallock) but really don't have the time to commit to it at the moment so will train away on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

Ran the downhill half in cahir today..a tough race but a great atmosphere before and afterwards...fair play to all the organisers.

The announcement is a Run - Bike - Run duathalon. Colour me intrigued, full details in a few days.

Race 8 of 2016 Ballyhoura Active Series
    Galteee Runners GR8 Road Race,
    Venue: Mitchelstown Co.Cork
    Date: Fri 5th August 2016
    Start Time: 19:30:00
    Hosted By Galtee Runners Ac
    Entry Fee: €10
    More Info https://www.facebook.com/Galtee-Runners-112679275414274/

Might give that Mitchelstown race a go if get out of work a bit early on the Friday.

re: Curraghchase 10k - does anyone have a course profile/description? Anything I read about it makes reference to 'lots of hills' but doesn't say where they are, how many etc.

• Advertisement

Toffeeboy wrote: »

That's perfect....thanks a lot.

Looks less daunting than I had thought actually.

Talking to a fella last night and he said it was "less hilly than Bilboa" so should be ok

That's perfect....thanks a lot.

Looks less daunting than I had thought actually.

Talking to a fella last night and he said it was "less hilly than Bilboa" so should be ok

It's the middle few km that is tough. From the road into the car park is fine I would say, nothing out of the ordinary. From the car park up to the caravan park is the difficult bit with a couple climbs, once you are in the caravan park it is pretty much flat or down hill from there. There is one fairly sharp downhill bit with about 2km to go and it is also on a tight s bend.

They are doing some training runs out there if you follow them on FB (although they only did 3.6km last night so glad I didn't venture out). Might be worth a few of us meeting up to run it some evening if we got a few people interested.

Announced today that there are medals for the Curragh Chase 10k. Sad to say but really excited to get my 1st running medal :D

Are ye all set for Mitchelstown??

Not in bad shape at the minute...although my dodgy achilles have started to flare up a bit. Shouldn't be a problem on Friday night though

Found a possible alternative to Curraghchase 10k - the Liscarroll 10k is on Friday evening 19/08/2016.

Not a big fan of races in the middle of a weekend afternoon day tbh so although Liscarroll is a bit of a trek it might be a better option for me

Hey Cartman78, best of luck tomorrow night if you decide to run Liscarroll.

So who is in for the Curraghchase 10Km on Sunday? Looks like it is going to bucketing rain so joy :)

Hey Cartman78, best of luck tomorrow night if you decide to run Liscarroll.

So who is in for the Curraghchase 10Km on Sunday? Looks like it is going to bucketing rain so joy :)

Cheers....actually going to give it a miss tonight :o

Training away ok this week but feel a bit leggy and battling a cold so not worth driving an hour or so down to Liscarrol when not 100%.

Tied up a bit on Sunday too so Curraghchase is out.

The SMRC (early October) is probably my target race now for the rest of the year

Cheers....actually going to give it a miss tonight :o

Training away ok this week but feel a bit leggy and battling a cold so not worth driving an hour or so down to Liscarrol when not 100%.

Tied up a bit on Sunday too so Curraghchase is out.

The SMRC (early October) is probably my target race now for the rest of the year

Aiming to do that myself alright and the Night Run in Cork in November (although they may end up with a Limerick one from what I understand)

• Advertisement

Have my race report up here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100753796&postcount=37

There seems to have been an issue where a few runners took a wrong turn due to a steward going AWOL which is disappointing for all involved.

Did anyone else venture out. The climb from the car park to the caravan park and the one just out the back gate after the caravan park nearly broke me :(

Advertisement