Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental dilemma

Options
  • 23-03-2016 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I had a chipped tooth fixed about three months ago but today the filling fell out. It just came loose, I wasn't even eating or anything. Can I ask to have it redone or is it my bad luck and I need to pay for another?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

mhge wrote: »
    I had a chipped tooth fixed about three months ago but today the filling fell out. It just came loose, I wasn't even eating or anything. Can I ask to have it redone or is it my bad luck and I need to pay for another?

Depends on whether it was badly done or fractured off due to load placed on it. If it was the biting edge of a front tooth it is the latter, the filling is bonded to the tooth without drilling away perfectly good tooth to hold the filling in. The benefit of this is that it conserves good tooth, the drawback (and frustrating part) is that the filling is effectively glued to a thin edge and is brittle. I usually replace free of charge the first time if it is within a year but if it happens again it is not the dentists fault and you will be charged. Unfortunately the way to improve the bond strength is to drill away more of the tooth to increase the surface area to which the filling sticks, that is counterproductive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thank you that's helpful! Yes it is the biting edge unfortunately...

Advertisement