Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email going around in work call people out on 'mistakes'

Options
  • 23-03-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to be vague here.
    There is a department in my job who we can call to get faults assigned , and also to get updates on faults.
    Today an email came around to all staff giving reasons for unnecessary calls coming through to them and also had a list of staff members who rang through to them when they shouldn't and stating the reason for the call to them.
    There were a few people on the list.
    Is this allowed? I think if people make mistakes it should be addressed individually. It is very embarrassing when this goes out. It seems to be only a new thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Yes, of course it is allowed.

Some companies use this type of name-and-shame when simply training people on procedures do not have the desired effect on compliance. I have seen this used where folks were ignoring workplace health and Safety & PPE Rules and were potentially putting others in danger. In that case it worked leading to the staff self-policing each other.

But it is a risky option... and there is always the question of whether it will have the desired effect ?

If people are embarrassed in seeing their names on this list....it might work.
    If people's managers take them to task for non-compliance....it might work.
    If people stop reporting faults for fear that they may end up on the list...it may backfire.

I would expect if a persons name appears often enough, then there may be a private chat or indeed perhaps a disciplinary process may be invoked in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

And what are these people's team members doing to assist the people who are making unnecessary calls? I would guess that the unnecessary calls happen because the people who make them are getting inadequate support from their co-workers and managers. In that case, they should be the ones who are embarrassed, not the people legitimately asking for help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Speedwell wrote: »
    And what are these people's team members doing to assist the people who are making unnecessary calls? I would guess that the unnecessary calls happen because the people who make them are getting inadequate support from their co-workers and managers. In that case, they should be the ones who are embarrassed, not the people legitimately asking for help.

There's a flip side to this though, and it's people refusing to learn from past mistakes.

I've worked in environments where week after week, and month after month, despite communications to managers, no action was taken on people who were timesinks due to their refusal to learn or change their behaviour.

I've seen male and female staff on service desks in tears getting abuse from people like this who refuse to accept they have a part to play.

Then you've the politics. Just this afternoon I chaired a meeting which highlighted a significant issue in delivering services to a customer, which for the sake of politics was presented as a general issue. The dogs on the street, let alone, those in the room, knew it was a frequent issue caused by this individual, yet no one dared mention it.

Thankfully, one individual read between the lines and proposed a generic solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Yeah, I'm with you. As a corporate IT trainer and high-level help desk tech at a multinational energy company in Texas, I had to deal with many ass-pains from many different locations. :) The fourth time one of them came to my three-day class for the engineering database, I wrote his manager and asked, "is there anything we can do to help this guy"? Turned out the boss had no idea he was wasting time in class or that he was the help desk's worst nightmare (my own boss had a very unflattering and hilarious name for the poor schmuck). I made a four-hour car trip to the facility in question just to meet with the fellow's team. The stories they had to tell made it clear the guy was a walking case of industrial sabotage. It wasn't clear he was even doing it on purpose, though you'd expect a qualified senior engineer to be just a hair smarter. I am sad to say the fellow lost his job; I am not the person to pass negative comments on someone else's work, especially if I can't do that job myself. But there is honestly only so much you can do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Speedwell wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm with you. As a corporate IT trainer and high-level help desk tech at a multinational energy company in Texas, I had to deal with many ass-pains from many different locations. :) The fourth time one of them came to my three-day class for the engineering database, I wrote his manager and asked, "is there anything we can do to help this guy"? Turned out the boss had no idea he was wasting time in class or that he was the help desk's worst nightmare (my own boss had a very unflattering and hilarious name for the poor schmuck). I made a four-hour car trip to the facility in question just to meet with the fellow's team. The stories they had to tell made it clear the guy was a walking case of industrial sabotage. It wasn't clear he was even doing it on purpose, though you'd expect a qualified senior engineer to be just a hair smarter. I am sad to say the fellow lost his job; I am not the person to pass negative comments on someone else's work, especially if I can't do that job myself. But there is honestly only so much you can do.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about, not people being singled out for no reason.

I once delivered a three day course where someone on the second day came in 30 mins late, then slept till lunchtime, then failed their exam at the end.

Thankfully I'd flagged it in advance to their manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Seems like they run the risk a high risk of a HR complaint about doing it like that if you've not be forewarned. Embarrassing people throughout a company because they made a mistake. OTT and unprofessional IMO. Usual practice anywhere I've worked, is to filter this out by making them go through a local point of contact/intermediary so only valid issues get passed through, local training and support is identified and addressed locally. All they've done is establish precedent where people won't report faults for fear of embarrassment. Unnecessary calls is a symptom of a problem. Not just a problem in itself. There is a problem that's creating these calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for replies. I am talking issue with it because I was on it. I was on it because a person in training was 'shadowing me' and we have to let them take calls. So while theres a email saying that I never followed correct procedures with a customer for everyone to see, it wasn't even me who was talking to the customer

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The problem is I had a person training who was sitting in with deadling with customer. The email says I didnt go through the correct procedure with customer. When in fact I never spoke to them

Sounds like the email it self wasn't following any agreed procedure. If you're not happy take it up with your manager and HR. Make a complaint.

Or alternatively ask what is the correct process in the situation you were in. Is it documented anywhere and was that information made known previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

anon845 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. I am talking issue with it because I was on it. I was on it because a person in training was 'shadowing me' and we have to let them take calls. So while theres a email saying that I never followed correct procedures with a customer for everyone to see, it wasn't even me who was talking to the customer

You were training them.

If they were shadowing, then you should have been in control.

If they were having a live practice session which you were in control of, then you should have been confident that they would follow correct procedures or ask you if they were unsure, before you let them use your ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Sounds like a call center. We had this loads. Sometimes agents are just lazy and transfer a call that they can do by their self, other times the other department isn't turning over enough conversions. Usually this list is just a reminder to follow procedures that ye had training in and anymore incidences are noted. I really wouldn't take it personally because you weren't at fault here and its just a reminder ye are given. Just speak to your manager lightly and explain ,it's probably nothing big x

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Yes, of course it is allowed.

Some companies use this type of name-and-shame when simply training people on procedures do not have the desired effect on compliance. I have seen this used where folks were ignoring workplace health and Safety & PPE Rules and were potentially putting others in danger. In that case it worked leading to the staff self-policing each other.

But it is a risky option... and there is always the question of whether it will have the desired effect ?

If people are embarrassed in seeing their names on this list....it might work.
    If people's managers take them to task for non-compliance....it might work.
    If people stop reporting faults for fear that they may end up on the list...it may backfire.

I would expect if a persons name appears often enough, then there may be a private chat or indeed perhaps a disciplinary process may be invoked in private.

WRONG! It is NEVER acceptable to embarrass someone in work, ever, for ANY reason. The fact that you think so shows that you are either a bully or a willing bully victim. People have fought long and hard over the centuries to gain the work rights that most of us thankfully now enjoy in the west and take for granted. Without those rights we would be virtual slaves, as people were for so long, and still are in many places today. All these issues can be resolved using respectful interaction or in the worst cases by disciplinary action, but NEVER through bullying.

kuntboy wrote: »
    WRONG! It is NEVER acceptable to embarrass someone in work, ever, for ANY reason. The fact that you think so shows that you are either a bully or a willing bully victim. People have fought long and hard over the centuries to gain the work rights that most of us thankfully now enjoy in the west and take for granted. Without those rights we would be virtual slaves, as people were for so long, and still are in many places today. All these issues can be resolved using respectful interaction or in the worst cases by disciplinary action, but NEVER through bullying.

If you read my mail, I never said that it was good practice, I pointed out the down side in embarrassing people in my post.

The OP asked if it was allowed, and of course it is, there is no law or rule against calling people out on breaches of procedure. There is no regulations against embarrassing your employees.Companies have rules and they are there for a reason, they are entitled to enforce the rules, agreeing to follow company procedure is something that folks sign up to in their employment contract. Call centers are notoriously procedure and metric driven environments, often where folks are seen as replaceable, so this behavior does not surprise me at all. In other workplaces, this sort of communication would indeed be unacceptable and have a destructive effect on team morale and cooperation with management.

Your reaction to my contribution is frankly, OTT, dramatic and mostly off topic.

Enjoy your day.

WRONG! It is NEVER acceptable to embarrass someone in work, ever, for ANY reason.

Sez who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Sez who?

lol. its obvious a public staff reprimand is an awful management technique that simply does not work and affects morale and productivity in the long run.

lol. its obvious a public staff reprimand is an awful management technique that simply does not work and affects morale and productivity in the long run.

If the person knows, or should know, that they have f*ed up, then being transparent about the immediate management reaction may be good practice.

For example, teenagers working in McDonalds who decided to entertain themselves throwing food around the kitchen, or who blatantly lied about whether they'd swept the floor after being asked to do.

In both of these very specific situations, a clear public verbal reprimand was the correct action to take. It demonstrated the required behaviour to both the miscreants and their colleagues who were watching. And no further issues arose.

Now if someone was to make a habit of these behaviours, of course you would take further steps in private. But they some of the situations where public action is appropriate.

And it's not hard to think of some in grown-up jobs too. For example if a nurse assaulted a patient, if would be totally appropriate for the employer to take the issue to the guards. Very embarrassing for the employee indeed. But warranted by the seriousness of the issue.

The problem is if you professionally embarrass someone incorrectly, perhaps they weren't notified or had no training.

In my experience, public reprimands are used in three situations.

(1) To deal with repeated minor "offences"
    Where using a low level peer pressure can change behavior .
    Repeatedly missed deadlines, repeated failure to follow basic procedures.

(2) Where transparency is valuable.
    Sometimes it is important for justice to be seen to be done.
    Sometimes caling people out in private caused issues with the people that the original behaviour impacted, as they feel that nothing is being done.

(3) Where the issue is serious enough that needs to be addressed immediately.
    Some health & Safety Issues.

But it should be either procedural, i.e. A regular communication that everyone knows is coming, it a training delinquency list or a project status list. Or very urgent where the issue needs to be resolved immediately.

But more often than not there is some blow-back and it is not a great tool.

If you read my mail, I never said that it was good practice, I pointed out the down side in embarrassing people in my post.

The OP asked if it was allowed, and of course it is, there is no law or rule against calling people out on breaches of procedure. There is no regulations against embarrassing your employees.Companies have rules and they are there for a reason, they are entitled to enforce the rules, agreeing to follow company procedure is something that folks sign up to in their employment contract. Call centers are notoriously procedure and metric driven environments, often where folks are seen as replaceable, so this behavior does not surprise me at all. In other workplaces, this sort of communication would indeed be unacceptable and have a destructive effect on team morale and cooperation with management.

Your reaction to my contribution is frankly, OTT, dramatic and mostly off topic.

Enjoy your day.

Actually there ARE laws and regulations against embarrassing employees. It is degrading behavior, and a form of workplace bullying, which is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Sounds like a call centre I used to work for, probably the same one. It can be very irritating when you get a call numerous times of the day for the wrong reasons then have customers complaining wait times or transfers are too high, since you're new I would expect a little leeway but it might stop you making mistakes you didn't realise were happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Actually there ARE laws and regulations against embarrassing employees. It is degrading behavior, and a form of workplace bullying, which is illegal.

This is why companies go down the politically correct toilet and full of floaters that won't flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

We had something similar in one of my roles and was nothing short of a disaster. it turned into a tit-for-tat mess and the morale dropped because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I cannot easily envisage a workplace scenario where public (written) naming and shaming would be acceptable, with the possible exception of a health and safety issue.

The dignity of the individual has to be respected. A personal e-mail (followed up if necessary by a face-to-face meeting) would be much more appropriate.

The possible consequences of public shaming are many and varied, and are usually negative (sometimes seriously so).

A situation like this calls for delicate handling.

Not your ornery onager

Can you name them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Company I worked in this would happen regular enough where shift workers would be handing down work to each other and some never seemed happy with work not done by themselves. Emails would be send to a distribution list containing a whole raft of management.

It really came down to an agressive performance management system where employees were pitched against each other and we're making themselves look better by knocking others.

i never saw it happen but I'd imagine if a case of bullying and intimidation couldn't be taken under Health, Safety and Welfare at work act where the employer has a duty to provide a safe working environment including being protected from bullying in any form. If an employee complains they felt bullied or victimised then a wise manager would put a stop to the whole process, if a formal complaint was made and no management action taken then a case could be taken for bullying - I've seen bullying complaints gather momentum over much less substantial stuff !!

It's a petty process and weak management to let it continue. Proper process would see a manager informed of issues with an employee and the manager deals privately 1:1 with the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

anon845 wrote: »
    Trying to be vague here.
    There is a department in my job who we can call to get faults assigned , and also to get updates on faults.
    Today an email came around to all staff giving reasons for unnecessary calls coming through to them and also had a list of staff members who rang through to them when they shouldn't and stating the reason for the call to them.
    There were a few people on the list.
    Is this allowed? I think if people make mistakes it should be addressed individually. It is very embarrassing when this goes out. It seems to be only a new thing

I am pretty confident I know where that e-mail is coming from(from an experience sense, not the company the OP works in)

I frequently have to send e-mails to line managers and execs to have issues with process addressed with staff in the company I work with, along with every now and again firing out a name and shaming style e-mail. Although mine are structured within graphs and reports, so its not calling anyone out directly, but it does show names beside high numbers of tickets or calls that are closed as invalid.

Granted my workplace is not a call centre, its a proffesional office, there is issues with staff thinking they are above their station, and that I (team of one) am some sort of servant for them,and will drop what I'm doing to hlep them instantly. I'm a pretty flexible person and it takes A LOT to annoy me, but I do get pissed off with that attitude of "ugh I'm not logging a ticket, its too much effort" and that sort of ****.

So I frequently flag up instances where process is not being adhered too, after multiple warnings and one on one chats, where I feel the staff member is just taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I think you should let the writer of the "name and shame" email know that

1. you think your professional reputation was damaged by being named
    2. you were incorrectly named as it was a trainee's call-handling that needed improvement
    3. you would like a clarification email sent to the original recipients explaining you were incorrectly named.
    4. you would like the clarification issued immediately.

Can you name them?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/bullying_in_the_workplace.html

I can only assume you think it's perfectly fine to treat employees like 5hit.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/bullying_in_the_workplace.html

Never said that.

I just called out the claim that there are laws, when in fact there is only a Code of Practice - according to your link.

It would be very argue to say that everything which counts as bullying (eg consistently not asking someone to join you at lunch) would be covered under Health and Safety legislation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Although I agree that the scenario in the OP shouldn't have happened the way it did, I don't think this link applies to it.

It's pretty unprofessional to name and shame like that, they could have redacted the names and given examples of what they shouldn't be getting into their area. And for any instance of inappropriate contact, they should be feeding every inappropriate handoff back to the user's manager.

Naming and shaming like that is treating your staff with less dignity than I'd prefer myself. Be the bigger person and professionally take control of the matter - don't just let stuff build up until something pops and you have to email the whole company and moan about certain people.

Advertisement