Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimalism

Options
  • 24-03-2016 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

I thought this would be a good place to post. The last few months I've been focusing on paring down my physical belongings to make more sense of things. I find that the less I have around me, the more I can do with it. I've cleared out hundreds of items from my home and expanded the idea into the rest of my life, and it has worked a treat.

I've drawn lots of inspiration from these guys http://www.theminimalists.com/about/

Has anyone else tried the minimalist lifestyle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

I thought this would be a good place to post. The last few months I've been focusing on paring down my physical belongings to make more sense of things. I find that the less I have around me, the more I can do with it. I've cleared out hundreds of items from my home and expanded the idea into the rest of my life, and it has worked a treat.

I've drawn lots of inspiration from these guys http://www.theminimalists.com/about/

Has anyone else tried the minimalist lifestyle?

Sorry to drag up an old post but just after coming across your post and can't find any similar discussions on boards.

How are you getting on with your decluttering?

I started a few years ago with going paperless which I find great to get extra headspace and save time looking for paper around the house.

Also did a bit of clearing out of stuff I didn't need/use anymore (DVD's, books etc) but had to pause for a while when my daughter was born.

Trying to get back into it now with clearing out clothes that I don't wear and junk built up in the garage/attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 farnaby

Netflix is showing a documentary entitled "Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things", featuring the Minimalists mentioned in the first post. It is a worthwhile watch but didn't really hit home for me for two reasons.

One is that the 'minimalism' it depicts is nowhere near an ascetic lifestyle; it only looks that way versus the extremes of American consumption. Living in a small apartment without tons of stuff doesn't count as minimalism in Ireland does it.

Secondly it focuses on childless millennials who seem to be still "finding themselves". Any single talented person can flex their consumption to their income and find the right balance for him/herself. What interested me was when the documentary spent time (less than 5 mins) on supposedly minimalist families to find the kids had plenty of toys and tablets and the mothers were not as keen on the minimalist lifestyle as the dads. I've lived in austere situations in my single life and been quite content; but in marriage and fatherhood it is simply not an option for my wife and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

farnaby wrote: »
    Netflix is showing a documentary entitled "Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things", featuring the Minimalists mentioned in the first post. It is a worthwhile watch but didn't really hit home for me for two reasons.

One is that the 'minimalism' it depicts is nowhere near an ascetic lifestyle; it only looks that way versus the extremes of American consumption. Living in a small apartment without tons of stuff doesn't count as minimalism in Ireland does it.

Secondly it focuses on childless millennials who seem to be still "finding themselves". Any single talented person can flex their consumption to their income and find the right balance for him/herself. What interested me was when the documentary spent time (less than 5 mins) on supposedly minimalist families to find the kids had plenty of toys and tablets and the mothers were not as keen on the minimalist lifestyle as the dads. I've lived in austere situations in my single life and been quite content; but in marriage and fatherhood it is simply not an option for my wife and kids.
    Just seen this documentary on Netflix, well worth a view, I probably am a minimalist I don't like shoping have no interest in cars or gadgets hate clutter and hate spoiled kids, yes I have kids of my own and if they don't need it they ain't getting it and all these years I just taught I was a stringy fuuck

Advertisement