Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graves Disease advice.

Options
  • 24-03-2016 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi I have Graves disease for the past year and currently 8 weeks pregnant. I will be attending Holles St. Just wondering if there are any mums who gave birth here with graves disease. Will I be monitored more often? Will I be considered high risk? Also does anyone know who runs the thyroid clinic in Holles st?
    My current levels are as follows. Free T3 - 6.8 TSH 0.005 Free T4 27.11. I take 100mg of PTU daily

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dizzy bee

Hi I have Graves disease for the past year and currently 8 weeks pregnant. I will be attending Holles St. Just wondering if there are any mums who gave birth here with graves disease. Will I be monitored more often? Will I be considered high risk? Also does anyone know who runs the thyroid clinic in Holles st?
    My current levels are as follows. Free T3 - 6.8 TSH 0.005 Free T4 27.11. I take 100mg of PTU daily

Thanks

Hi, sorry am no use to you...not even sure what Graves' disease is. But didn't want to read and run. Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope you have a happy and healthy one. Hopefully someone here can give you some answers :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No medical advice to be given please only experiences of being pregnant with Graves disease and of the relevant experiences in Holles St hospital please .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Astilbe

I'm attending the 'High Risk' or Maternal Medicine clinic in Holles Street currently for an issue different to yours- just to reassure you they're all very lovely! You will probably be monitored more often but this is so they can catch any complications early before they cause any problems to you or baby.

Give outpatients a call (01) 637 3527 or (01) 637 3528 and ask if you can speak to a midwife from the Thyroid Clinic. They should be able to give you the run down of when you should come in to register for the clinic and be able to answer any other questions you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭petalgumdrops

Thank you so much reassuring to know that you have had a good experience. I will give them a call and see what they say thank you :)

Thank you xx

• Advertisement

Dizzy bee wrote: »
    Hi, sorry am no use to you...not even sure what Graves' disease is. But didn't want to read and run. Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope you have a happy and healthy one. Hopefully someone here can give you some answers :)

Thank you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Thanks

I have graves but had radioactive iodine 11 years ago: so I'm under active now. I have 2 toddlers: 3.5 and 2! I'm not in Dublin but attended the high risk clinic throughout. My levels were constantly monitored, and endo adjusted my meds accordingly. I had more scans and blood tests and in my 3rd trimester my thyroid antibody levels were checked as this *can* affect babies levels when they are born. I was induced at 40 weeks on both as they considered there to be a risk with going over the 40 weeks.

I'm sure you know your levels are high at the moment so have a chat with your doc about your ptu dosage.

Advertisement