Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scratch post for cat.

• 24-03-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Hello all! So my cat, who is brilliant, is ripping up my couch all the time so thinking if getting her a scratch post as I think she is bored while I'm in work.
    I see some in argos for ok prices, but would I be better to go to a pet store and get one there? I'm in Dublin City Centre. Gonna pick one up on my lunch today.

Guess just looking for some opinions on what's good for her, she's medium size, hates going outside.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have a look on Amazon and zooplus, you'll probably get better value there. Whatever you buy make sure it's tall enough for her to properly do a full stretch up, and something with a sturdy base. Stay away from the cheap little 12 inch ones, really only good for kittens. Iv a big 6ft high tree that they like to survey the room from, and a smaller 2ft post downstairs that gets good use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Have a look on Amazon and zooplus, you'll probably get better value there. Whatever you buy make sure it's tall enough for her to properly do a full stretch up, and something with a sturdy base. Stay away from the cheap little 12 inch ones, really only good for kittens. Iv a big 6ft high tree that they like to survey the room from, and a smaller 2ft post downstairs that gets good use.

Really? So a good tall one with platforms on it so she can look around? I'll have a look in pet shops today then. Amazon would be great but kinda wanted to get it for her today for the weekend while I'm there. But price wise makes sense. I will gave a look.

Thanks for the fast reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I got 2 small ones from LIDL that my girl LOVES, constantly stretching her claws out on them.

Then I got her a tall cat tree from zooplus, which she loves, although she scratches less on that, prefers it for surveying her kingdom from.

I also got a flat one that can be attached to a couch or wall from zooplus but I havent connected it to anything yet.

She has a wavy cardboard style one too but I havent seen her use that in ages.

I got 2 small ones from LIDL that my girl LOVES, constantly stretching her claws out on them.

Then I got her a tall cat tree from zooplus, which she loves, although she scratches less on that, prefers it for surveying her kingdom from.

I also got a flat one that can be attached to a couch or wall from zooplus but I havent connected it to anything yet.

She has a wavy cardboard style one too but I havent seen her use that in ages.

Haha cute!

My sister (in America) usually sprays some catnip on her cat tree and the cats go crazy for it. Is that honestly a good idea to do or not use catnip at all?

I found a nice scratch post/table, with a few things hanging out of it so gonna pick it up on my lunch.

One of my girls loves a bit of catnip (but not that interested in scratch posts) but the other isnt really interested in it.

Depends on the cat I think.

• Advertisement

Also another question nothing to do with scratch posts.

So my cat won't drink water from her bowl, ever. But she will drink it from whatever glass I am using which, is annoying. So I thought to leave water in a glass for her by her food but she still doesn't touch it all day but will nearly choke herself drinking from my glass again when I get home. Even if it's a pint glass and nearly empty she will use her paw to get to the water. It's a weird one.

I have a plastic feeding bowl type thing for her and I keep it clean for her. But now I'm thinking maybe I should get her metal bowls to eat and drink from?

It's a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

It's a bit odd that she's drinking from a glass, but I have heard that cats don't like their whiskers touching the edge of a bowl while drinking (not sure why they don't mind it while eating), but get her a wider shallower dish. "Puppy dishes" are usually good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Are the food and water bowls beside each other? In the wild, cats wouldn't drink right beside where they eat, they don't drag a mouse down to the river so they can have a little tipple in between, so they often don't like to drink water that's been "contaminated" with food smell. You could try moving the water to the opposite end of the room, or better yet get a water fountain, they generally love flowing water so it should keep your glass safe!

Are the food and water bowls beside each other? In the wild, cats wouldn't drink right beside where they eat, they don't drag a mouse down to the river so they can have a little tipple in between, so they often don't like to drink water that's been "contaminated" with food smell. You could try moving the water to the opposite end of the room, or better yet get a water fountain, they generally love flowing water so it should keep your glass safe!

Haha this is very true. I did try putting a glass of water at the other side if the room and she didn't touch it at all.

I'll try a wider bowl and see if that makes a difference.

Also, she will only drink filtered water. She's a bit too fancy for her own good. But hate to think she is dehydrated until I get home.

One of mine was a bit odd about drinking water at first, she would drink from a glass left on the table but never from her bowl.

So we got her a fancy water fountain and she was terrified of it. Next thing I noticed her drinking out of mucky puddles outside!!

Eventually one morning I found her drinking out of her fountain bowl when the actual fountain was switched off. We used to call it her "toilet bowl" because it was so big. After a while we switched and just put a normal bowl of water in the same spot. She uses it but still drinks out of water glasses when she feels like it!

The other one likes to lie beside her water bowl and splish the water with her paw until its nearly empty then miaow at me to fill it again.

Cats are funny little onions.

• Advertisement

One of mine was a bit odd about drinking water at first, she would drink from a glass left on the table but never from her bowl.

So we got her a fancy water fountain and she was terrified of it. Next thing I noticed her drinking out of mucky puddles outside!!

Eventually one morning I found her drinking out of her fountain bowl when the actual fountain was switched off. We used to call it her "toilet bowl" because it was so big. After a while we switched and just put a normal bowl of water in the same spot. She uses it but still drinks out of water glasses when she feels like it!

The other one likes to lie beside her water bowl and splish the water with her paw until its nearly empty then miaow at me to fill it again.

Cats are funny little onions.

Ha, that made me laugh. Cats are amazing! My Tigger hates outside. I put her out to get some air and she will sit at the window meowing for an hour or two till I let her back in.

Ha, that made me laugh. Cats are amazing! My Tigger hates outside. I put her out to get some air and she will sit at the window meowing for an hour or two till I let her back in.

Yeah one of ours HATES water. I mean, literally, if it starts raining she screams like its acid and runs inside. The other will go out in a storm and gambol delightedly about in the wet grass loving it!

Advertisement