Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

409 bus to Parkmore

Options
  • 24-03-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

I just noticed in the advertiser today that this service will from the 3rd April now run every 12 minutes. It doesn't say if it goes back to 30 mins later in the evening or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thank you - it seems that BE announced this a week ago, but I'd totally missed it!

Features:
    The weekday service will increase to every 12minutes from its current every 15minutes between 07:00 to 19:00.
    The weekday & Saturday service after 19:00hrs will increase to every 20 minutes from its current every 30minutes.
    The Sunday service will increase to every 20minutes from its current every 30minutes between 12:00hrs and 19:00hrs
    The Sunday service after 19:00hrs will increase to every 30minutes from its current every 60minutes.

Full details here: http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=1972&month=Mar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They can say it will run every 5 min if they like but if the returning buses cannot get to Eyre Square due to traffic it'll still be a shambles.
    But it should be good for non-peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

any word on the 405 yet. The added a double decker to the route alright, but the reliability is still not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They can say it will run every 5 min if they like but if the returning buses cannot get to Eyre Square due to traffic it'll still be a shambles.
    But it should be good for non-peak hours.
    True - need FAR more bus lanes in Galway City o+ else streets that are free from private motor vehicles in the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's keep this on bus times to Parkmore

• Advertisement

Anybody know what time does it take during the Car Rush hour's these days from Parkmore to Eyre Sq and Vice Versa. Have not taken the 409 in a while. Do mornings and evenings differ?

It doesn't say if it goes back to 30 mins later in the evening or not.

I've now done a more detailed summary of the changes - there are a few twitches to various part of the day on the weekend, too.

FitzShane wrote: »
    any word on the 405 yet. The added a double decker to the route alright, but the reliability is still not great.

Nothing said about it.

BE seem to have a rolling programme of announcements: twitches in Mayo announced on the 1st of March, this 409 change and one in Cork on the 11th, some more on the N2/M2 today.

Personally I think that the 403 needs more capacity before 405 (and it kills me to say that, 'cos I catch the 405!). Either that, or introduce buses with middle doors: the time for the 403/ to unload/re-load in Eyre Square in the mornings is just mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've now done a more detailed summary of the changes - there are a few twitches to various part of the day on the weekend, too.

Nothing said about it.

BE seem to have a rolling programme of announcements: twitches in Mayo announced on the 1st of March, this 409 change and one in Cork on the 11th, some more on the N2/M2 today.

Personally I think that the 403 needs more capacity before 405 (and it kills me to say that, 'cos I catch the 405!). Either that, or introduce buses with middle doors: the time for the 403/ to unload/re-load in Eyre Square in the mornings is just mad.

I use the 403 and 405 and id agree that the 403 could do with any increase capacity wise, half hourly isnt enough on the route, at least the 405 is every 20, usually 5-7 minutes late at any sort of busy time. 403 regularly fills a double decker, same is rare on the 405.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Parkmore to Doughiska 409 bus service carries over one million passengers a year, and is one of the busiest bus routes in the country.
    :eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

snubbleste wrote: »
    :eek:

Not sure where you got that quote but it should be qualified that it's one of bus eireanns busiest routes, not sure if would feature in that statement if dublin bus routes are included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I thought I heard an ad on the radio this morning for this service. I remarked to myself that I found it unusual to hear ads from Bus Eireann about anything at all. It even gave a phone number to contact. That seemed a very open of them because I always get the feeling BE are way behind the times and slooooooooooooooow to change. eg a non stop service to Dublin to rival the local lads.
    Did anyone find it unusual of them to have an ad including a telephone number.

bobbyss wrote: »
    That seemed a very open of them because I always get the feeling BE are way behind the times and slooooooooooooooow to change. eg a non stop service to Dublin to rival the local lads.

This change could be a result of TFI putting pressure on Bus Eireann to increase services. Very hard to know with Bus Eireann if culture is changing, they never show up to any kind of transport related public events in Galway City.
    It is a good news story though. I think if they increase the #409 frequency further they should get additional facilities in place as well like bus lanes at Parkmore, priority on roads/junctions near Eyre Sq, bus shelters/real time signs and extend services into Parkmore East/West estates directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I've been wondering what other people think about the change in service. It does seem to have improved somewhat and become a lot more reliable. Far less cases of whatever time I turn up for a bus, the bus I've turned up for has been skipped which seemed to be happening frequently last year & a bit this spring.

Have wondered if this was a response to continual complaints or if people actually did complain or just grumble.

Now main reason I'm waiting for a bus is just having missed the one before, since it's gone by as i'm heading toward teh Doughiska rd.
    Hope it stays this way.

Are the increasing the number fo double deckers around town or just using the same ones on several services?
    They did all pretty much start on this service. Now I've noticed single deckers being reintroduced to this.

Stevolende wrote: »
    It does seem to have improved somewhat and become a lot more reliable. Far less cases of whatever time I turn up for a bus, the bus I've turned up for has been skipped which seemed to be happening frequently last year & a bit this spring.

It's June.

3rd level is finished for the year.
    2nd level is almost finished for the year, just a few exams to sit.
    Tourist season has started, but not yet in full flight.

So of course things will be better.

Let's see how things stack up in September/October.

I think I've been told that 409 is the best route in Galway before which has had me wondering how bad the other routes are. Is everything subject to continual skipped buses and interminable waits.

& is it true that at rush hour several buses came around the bypass to Roscam bypassing the Doughiska rd? Certainly seemed like that at times. Has left me wondering if there might be a beter chance of getting a bus from there. THough there is always one extra bus that I know should be coming via there anyway, the 410/404 but I never know what time it comes by.

PLus the 402 is within walking distance inside the Merlin park Hospital of course, if really stuck. & that should be free of the delays that come from the 409 (& 403) having to come from Parkmore and get through traffic there. Haven't really heard if the 403 had the same delays during rush hour but would suspect since the same factors were in play it probably would do.

Is there any reason that you would see a local service white double decker bus on the bypass road i.e. the main road that connects the Tuam road with the road south?
    Saw one going that way last week as I walked down to the Doughiska rd bus stop. I don't think there's any kind of service on that road.
    Wondering if a new driver missed the correct turning or something.
    Think they used to drive that way sometimes during rush hours, leaving people waiting at the Doughiska rd bus stops for ages. As i noted previously.

Going from the bus garage to the parkmore start of the route possibly.

Is there any reason that you would see a local service white double decker bus on the bypass road i.e. the main road that connects the Tuam road with the road south?
    Saw one going that way last week as I walked down to the Doughiska rd bus stop. I don't think there's any kind of service on that road.
    Wondering if a new driver missed the correct turning or something.
    Think they used to drive that way sometimes during rush hours, leaving people waiting at the Doughiska rd bus stops for ages. As i noted previously.

If it was a BE, it depends on the time of day: if they're switching from every 12 to 20 minutes (around 7pm) thne some buses go back to the garage out of service, so can use any road they want.

But they're BE colours, not plain white.

It was about 4 I think.
    & I said white cos that's the predominant colour. It was BE colours.
    JUst seemed odd that there would be a bus going that route since it isn't on any service I'm aware of. I think there wasa gap in the service for Doughiska road that corresponded to it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

It was about 4 I think.
    & I said white cos that's the predominant colour. It was BE colours.
    JUst seemed odd that there would be a bus going that route since it isn't on any service I'm aware of. I think there wasa gap in the service for Doughiska road that corresponded to it too.
    I see two buses like that, one is a tour bus to I think, the ferry to the islands,
    the other is a private shuttle for a particular company around there.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

http://connachttribune.ie/work-underway-ease-parkmore-traffic-512/

"A third measure planned for this year includes relocating the bus stops into the heart of both Parkmore East and West business parks to further encourage commuters out of their cars."

Hopefully these bus stops will have shelters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

http://connachttribune.ie/work-underway-ease-parkmore-traffic-512/

"A third measure planned for this year includes relocating the bus stops into the heart of both Parkmore East and West business parks to further encourage commuters out of their cars."

Hopefully these bus stops will have shelters

TBH I can't see this impacting Parkmore East unless they have separate routes. Given it is relatively small (at present) it would probably be quicker to get off at the existing bus stop and walk to the buildings there than to wait for the bus to go into Parkmore West and then go around to Parkmore East.

Does the walking time from Parkmore West to the bus stop really impact on how many people drive compared to taking the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

No, people don't take the bus because:

1. No one wants to go via Eyre square to get to Parkmore
    2. It takes longer that driving despite the crazy Galway traffic
    3. It's bloody expensive, if I'm already paying tax/insurance/NCt to have a car in the first place
    4. the nearest bus stop is 1 mile from my door despite living in a city estate

So, NO, the bus going in to Parkmore will not encourage anyone to use it, imo.

TBH I can't see this impacting Parkmore East unless they have separate routes. Given it is relatively small (at present) it would probably be quicker to get off at the existing bus stop and walk to the buildings there than to wait for the bus to go into Parkmore West and then go around to Parkmore East.

Does the walking time from Parkmore West to the bus stop really impact on how many people drive compared to taking the bus?

There are already separate routes: 409 could go into west and 403 into east, for example.

I think it does make a difference: west in particular is huge and you can easily have a 10-15 minute walk from the bus stop to workplace.

The 405 loadings grew whrn it started going right in to Ballybrit estate.

There are already separate routes: 409 could go into west and 403 into east, for example.

I think it does make a difference: west in particular is huge and you can easily have a 10-15 minute walk from the bus stop to workplace.

Would be very useful if there was some sort of Bus Priority measure junction for Parkmore West. Separate BUS Gate perhaps?

I think having a few express buses from Eyre Square (mixed with ones that go through the estates) or direct buses from the west side (I know not all the traffic into Parkmore comes from the city centre or the west side, but every single occupancy car removed helps) might help more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The traffic does cause havoc to the schedules. I was at dunnes in briarhill on Wednesday around 6.30 and there was 3 double decker buses one after another heading towards parkmore. Surely getting 2 of these to stop for 30 seconds and getting the people on one to get onto another one and having the empty bus to turn back towards town is a much more sensible option.

The traffic does cause havoc to the schedules. I was at dunnes in briarhill on Wednesday around 6.30 and there was 3 double decker buses one after another heading towards parkmore. Surely getting 2 of these to stop for 30 seconds and getting the people on one to get onto another one and having the empty bus to turn back towards town is a much more sensible option.

Then you need to worry about capacity leaving Parkmore, driver's breaks etc. I don't think it is quite that easy unfortunately.

• Advertisement

If they do have additional stops then I do hope that they leave the existing stops as they are. I still think that the only thing that will help are a number of direct buses, a direct bust at 15 minutes past the hour would be great up there. I know that the day they ran a direct bus at 6pm a couple years back people were in Eyre Square within 20 minutes.

Advertisement