Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

409 bus to Parkmore

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Direct buses from the Industrial Estates to Eyre Sq would do the world of good. There used to be another in Ballybrit, but that stopped also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

FitzShane wrote: »
    Direct buses from the Industrial Estates to Eyre Sq would do the world of good. There used to be another in Ballybrit, but that stopped also.
    Not so sure about this - the odd time I take the #409 and 403 it picks people up on the way to Parkmore along the route, even in places like Doughiska. Whats needed is to improve access for buses into Parkmore (and surrounding areas ) where they do not have to use same network as private cars.

Not so sure about this - the odd time I take the #409 and 403 it picks people up on the way to Parkmore along the route, even in places like Doughiska. Whats needed is to improve access for buses into Parkmore (and surrounding areas ) where they do not have to use same network as private cars.

No reason you can't have a direct bus and one which stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FitzShane wrote: »

Indeed. The old factory buses weren't even fully express: they dropped people off along the route but didn't do pickups. Were a lot faster than the city sevices as a result.

Indeed. The old factory buses weren't even fully express: they dropped people off along the route but didn't do pickups. Were a lot faster than the city sevices as a result.
    Why is it no longer running? Money or low usage?
    I guess it would depend on what route you would take from Eyre Sq? I dont think ya can hit the population centres from Eyre Square without detour via Ballybane or Doughiska though to make it a viable service.
    If was suggested that it would be a Cross City service on the other hand from Bearna through KnocknaCarra and Rahoon straight to Parkmore can see that working.

• Advertisement

Why is it no longer running? Money or low usage?
    I guess it would depend on what route you would take from Eyre Sq? I dont think ya can hit the population centres from Eyre Square without detour via Ballybane or Doughiska though to make it a viable service.
    If was suggested that it would be a Cross City service on the other hand from Bearna through KnocknaCarra and Rahoon straight to Parkmore can see that working.

The Ballybrit one was replaced by the 405. The Medtronic one by the 409.

The factory buses were much appreciated back in the day when there were no others - but they were a once or twice a day service. Not a patch on a full day service. The only feature which the city buses don't have is fast. The routes were variable so they weren't great for people living before Eyre Square.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Used to take an express bus from knocknacarra to parkmore years ago. However it ran at half six or so in the morning so didn't suit many people and had an awkward route to the Square..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Used to take an express bus from knocknacarra to parkmore years ago. However it ran at half six or so in the morning so didn't suit many people and had an awkward route to the Square..

Surely there are enough people in the likes of Knocknacarra that work the same shifts in Parkmore that they could look at organising their own bus. Get a post up on the Parkmore Traffic Jams Facebook page and a poster/email at work. Get a quote from a private bus operator for a month and split the cost. Start with a mini-bus if needs be and scale it up. It'll make a lot of sense when they put the bus lanes in on Parkmore Road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Good idea for anyone doing that, I've moved and changed job since, if that bus was a little later in the morning it would have been great.

J o e wrote: »
    Surely there are enough people in the likes of Knocknacarra that work the same shifts in Parkmore that they could look at organising their own bus. Get a post up on the Parkmore Traffic Jams Facebook page and a poster/email at work. Get a quote from a private bus operator for a month and split the cost. Start with a mini-bus if needs be and scale it up. It'll make a lot of sense when they put the bus lanes in on Parkmore Road.

This could work for county towns as well. Tuam, Loughrea and Gort.
    One bus will take 50 cars off the road - however IDA Parkmore would need to start to increase charging companies for car parking for this to work. The companies already pay for it - but its so cheap that they provide it free for all employees in the vast surface car parks up in Parkmore which have bigger footprints than the offices and factorys themselves.

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »

I think the bold bit is the $64M question. How many people living in Knocknacarra do actually work in Parkmore. No one knows (except the companies, which have employee home addresses) but my hunch is that it's a lot less than most people expect.

I'm also not aware of any plan to put bus lanes onto the Parkmore Road. Can you like to any, apart form the general we should have them campaign from BE?

Re the county towns, BusLink from Athenry already operate one service each morning and evening which goes via Parkmore. I'm sure they'd run more if they though there was demand. And I'm surprised that Burkes haven't been convinced to run some Tuam services that way - possibly they just refuse to consider it due to the traffic.

I think the bold bit is the $64M question. How many people living in Knocknacarra do actually work in Parkmore. No one knows (except the companies, which have employee home addresses) but my hunch is that it's a lot less than most people expect.
    It is. Close to half of the Parkmore workers dont live in the City at all. Hence the sheer volume of single occupancy cars that one sees there on a daily basis.

46% was mentioned in this Joint Oireachtas Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport last Wednesday, 14 February 2018
    "
    Traffic Management and Congestion in Galway Region: Discussion
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2018-02-14a.935#g944
    "

Keep in mind that shift starts are staggered, often every 15 minutes so you can have 2 neighbours starting 90 mins apart. 1 bus isn't going to serve both unless it's a regular service

I'm also not aware of any plan to put bus lanes onto the Parkmore Road. Can you like to any, apart form the general we should have them campaign from BE?

http://connachttribune.ie/council-seeks-buy-land-sort-parkmore-traffic-nightmare-409/

"Coming from Parkmore, you’re going to have four lanes, and two bus lanes and a cycle lane."

Proposed-Traffic-Layout.jpg

Legend-inset.jpg

Keep in mind that shift starts are staggered, often every 15 minutes so you can have 2 neighbours starting 90 mins apart. 1 bus isn't going to serve both unless it's a regular service

If Companys had a Active Travel Planning - they would take this kind of thing into account. If done Parkmore wide basis even better.

If Companys had a Active Travel Planning - they would take this kind of thing into account. If done Parkmore wide basis even better.

But they do have Active Travel Planning now - staggering the shift times was one of the things they did to smooth out the traffic volumes. Putting people who've indicated they travel together onto the same shift would take things to a whole new level, and be open to all sorts of abuse.

Re the bus lanes, the plan referred to above covers only a very short portion of the Parkmore Road, from Briarhill BP to the Monivea Rd (and thru the junction as far as a the Clayton) - not the whole length, which is what would be needed to make buses free-flowing.

Re the bus lanes, the plan referred to above covers only a very short portion of the Parkmore Road, from Briarhill BP to the Monivea Rd (and thru the junction as far as a the Clayton) - not the whole length, which is what would be needed to make buses free-flowing.

Do you have a link to a more complete plan?
    The bus lane on that drawing coming from Parkmore to Briarhill continues past the edge of the image - there's no indication where it stops/starts.

But they do have Active Travel Planning now - staggering the shift times was one of the things they did to smooth out the traffic volumes. Putting people who've indicated they travel together onto the same shift would take things to a whole new level, and be open to all sorts of abuse.

More thinking along the lines of "Active"! Car Sharing/pooling - Medtronic have started to do this, Car Poolers get premium parking spots for example near factory entrances. They have also built a cycling village with bike parking and shower facilities. Staggering shifts is not really addressing the root cause, but can help for sure.

Advertisement