Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage broker recommendation?

Options
  • 24-03-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭

Hi could anyone who has dealt with a decent broker recently please pm me their details and the fee involved?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Why do you think you need one?

Try checking out interest rates and just apply directly to the financial institution concerned. If your application isn't complete, they'll tell you what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

exaisle wrote: »

Try checking out interest rates and just apply directly to the financial institution concerned. If your application isn't complete, they'll tell you what you need.

yep can do all that, but i would be interested to see what a broker can bring to the table as well, im not in any rush as there isnt a house we want to buy just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'm open to correction but some financial institutions still pay commission to mortgage brokers.

I can understand that some people would be uncomfortable in dealing directly with a financial institution in negotiating a mortgage, but as long as a commission is involved, it's difficult to see how one could receive entirely unbiased advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Cyrus wrote: »
    Hi could anyone who has dealt with a decent broker recently please pm me their details and the fee involved?

Cheers

Before dealing with a broker, educate yourself. I didn't. Got stuck with a mortgage on a higher percentage than I should have and got a Life Assurance policy that was €100 more than I later got by shopping around.

If you compare the different banks products (there's less than 10) and contact the a couple of banks with the better products they'll put you in touch with an advisor who'll walk you through it. This is the same as dealing with a broker with the main difference that you know they're obviously only interested in their companies products.
    They'll try to sell you their life and house insurance too but those are easy enough to shop around for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Before dealing with a broker, educate yourself. I didn't. Got stuck with a mortgage on a higher percentage than I should have and got a Life Assurance policy that was €100 more than I later got by shopping around.

If you compare the different banks products (there's less than 10) and contact the a couple of banks with the better products they'll put you in touch with an advisor who'll walk you through it. This is the same as dealing with a broker with the main difference that you know they're obviously only interested in their companies products.
    They'll try to sell you their life and house insurance too but those are easy enough to shop around for.

cheers for the advice,

im reasonably comfortable with ensuring that i get the best deal and comparing the various offerings from the banks,

i work in finance myself, but with most things, if i can delegate a task i will so interested to hear recommendations for 'honest' brokers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

killers1 right here on boards. Gent and very good at what he does. Unfortunately I did not go any further with my application but will be getting on to him in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

big syke wrote: »
    killers1 right here on boards. Gent and very good at what he does. Unfortunately I did not go any further with my application but will be getting on to him in the next few months.

I second Killers, highly recommended.
    I went to banks first, then went to him. He was able to get me more money than what the banks were offering me directly (post CB rules), so no matter what broker you use, i personally think a broker is the way to go. They obviously have relationships already in place with the bank, and also know how to secure you the best deal that you might not get yourself directly.

PM if you want his details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Bear in mind the some (the majority IIRC) don't deal with brokers. There might be some merit to a broker given there are some potemtial new entrants to the Irish mortgage market.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

killers1 is currently handling our mortgage application. His contact details are on his profile page on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Think its just BOI that don't deal with brokers, I'd also recommend Killers, He has been brilliant dealing with my application so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

exaisle wrote: »

We went directly with AIB & found it a nightmare. Lost proof of I.D's ,3 different people dealing with our application & hard to contact.

I'd definatly get a mortgage broker if I was doing it again but obviously do my own homework too.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

had an awful experience with a well known mortgage broker. The guy was an imbecile, lost documents and kept telling us he was waiting to hear back from x but in the end we contacted x ourselves and they hadn't even received our application. I wouldnt rely solely on someone else who you are not a priority to. We ended up getting the mortgage ourselves by going to the bank, a bank that he previously said had rejected our application.

Advertisement