Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny April Update

Options
  • 24-03-2016 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭

So, what do you all think of the April update.

I was underwhelmed and actually annoyed when watching the stream - the PoE update looks fun enough, but seemed that everything else was being left behind. Reading the info presented after (they really should have said it on twitch) KF isn't being completely left behind and other ativities will drop close to end level gear as well.

For a free update we are getting two new versions of PoE, a light level increase to normal and hard KF raids, new gear and weapons.

Hopefullty next week they confirm a version of infusion to 335 (Sterling thing -silver/light mentioned in the PoE screen - Etheric Light v2?)

I do think having a Playstation exclusive quest is a joke - i know their hands are tired by contract (or, I assume they are) but it just seems let yet another kick in the teeth for xbox players. Again, probably nothing Bungie can do about it, but it is a problem, imo.

Overall, I don't really see this update doing anything to bring people back to Destiny in any signficant way, to the level of play in November, for example - but that was probably an impossible ask for this upadte. It'll give people like myself something else to do, and have a laugh with, and it may intice some others to dip their toes back in once a week or something.

Again though, I can see us getting to near the end of May and people being utterly done with this new content, and then screaming for new stuff until (i assume) around September when the bigger update is due.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Most of new content is just old content repackaged as far aa I can see? Wont be enough to bring me back anyway but if I was still playing the game regularly it would have been welcome I suppose.

They're probably setting a precedent now by rejigging PoE and KF, maybe a high level VoG will be in the next big update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Looking forward to it, I always liked POE so nice to see some new stuff and at least it just wasn't rehashing Skolas.

Pity about the PS exclusive stuff again, wonder if that "Malok" hunter helmet will turn up in that quest or the new strike.

They didnt say much about KF and how they will introduce the higher light levels, assuming all the enemies get an increase aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So, what do you all think of the April update.

To address the Elephant in the Room.... it's FREE... YAYYYY!!!!!

Free content (even if it is retreading old ground)
    I was underwhelmed and actually annoyed when watching the stream - the PoE update looks fun enough, but seemed that everything else was being left behind. Reading the info presented after (they really should have said it on twitch) KF isn't being completely left behind and other ativities will drop close to end level gear as well.

I've said it before, but I set my expectations accordingly.
    I could probably go back far enough and quote an EXACT post where I speculated on what would be included and that's pretty much what they got.
    Not saying I'm the Messiah.... but well, yanno....
    For a free update we are getting two new versions of PoE, a light level increase to normal and hard KF raids, new gear and weapons.

And a New Strike, A re-done Strike, 4 Quests and a New Mission
    Hopefullty next week they confirm a version of infusion to 335 (Sterling thing -silver/light mentioned in the PoE screen - Etheric Light v2?)

Yup, next week will be all the Levelling/Gear/QoL stuff.
    Hopefully a bit more currency, levelling and drop rates tweaking
    I do think having a Playstation exclusive quest is a joke - i know their hands are tired by contract (or, I assume they are) but it just seems let yet another kick in the teeth for xbox players. Again, probably nothing Bungie can do about it, but it is a problem, imo.

Exclusives are rubbish. But thats business. You just need to accept it, PS were willing to pay MORE to have MORE. X-Box bought out the Tomb Raider license exclusivity so it's just a thing now. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's not ideal, but honestly if you look at all the other exclusive stuff to date, the X-box crowd haven't been missing much. The only good stuff is Exodus Blue and Jade Rabbit (The Undying Mind, Echo Chamber, 4th Horseman - except for that brief window it was fun - Sector 618, The Exlusive gear sets and the new IB armour - which has the exact smear stats and it just cosmetic - are ALL very "Meh" now in fairness)

It's like they design 7 strikes and make the worst one the exclusive.
    Overall, I don't really see this update doing anything to bring people back to Destiny in any signficant way, to the level of play in November, for example - but that was probably an impossible ask for this upadte. It'll give people like myself something else to do, and have a laugh with, and it may intice some others to dip their toes back in once a week or something.

People will come back for a day or a week or a day every week for 4 or 6 weeks and that will be that. People will still be salty. But hey-ho, it's free.
    Again though, I can see us getting to near the end of May and people being utterly done with this new content, and then screaming for new stuff until (i assume) around September when the bigger update is due

Depending one how you play, this update will mean 4+, 20-30 or 40+ more hours of content.

Casual (4 hours):
    New Strike once (30 mins)
    Taken Archon Priest once (15 mins)
    New Mission once (15 mins)
    New PoE 41 (30 mins)
    New PoE 42 Challenge (60 mins)
    Rest of the Quest and Bounty for that week for 1 character (1.5 hours)

Regular Player:
    All of the Above but on 3 characters and 6 more runs at New PoE 42 Challenge (45 mins x6) since you'll probably need to do it 9 times in total to fill the Variks card on all 3 the 1st week
    Then do these PoE 41 and 42s all again possibly the 2nd week and be done with the update.

"Hardcore"
    The same but doing it every week for 6 more (~8 additional hours each week time)

The main thing, is even if you just do everything ONCE (and granted they are reusing a lot of assets, areas etc) you will still get 2 regular sittings of 2-3 hours out of a Free update

CONTEXT: Batman Arkham City Harleys Revenge was €15.99 and lasted 90 minutes. This is free and looks to give everyone at least 4 hours of "stuff" to do

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I am hoping the PS exclusive item is Jade Rabbit level. I fecking love that gun.

As I say, i was annoyed when watching the stream - but having looked over the full detail available since the stream (KF to 330 etc) I'm perfectly happy with what has been delivered.

At the moment the only real plays in the game are KF challenges and PvP.

For at least a few weeks we'll have the choice of KF challenges (or just doing the full thing) for 330 gear, PoE Challenge (will need to run it 3 times or so per character for max rewards) and PvP. From watching the steam last night it also looked like the PoE challenge was relatively do-able in a 'just kill everything' kind of way - so I can see it being more fun than Skolas was during HoW or KF was on hard mode for quite a while.

At the end of the day I play Destiny for fun, because I enjoy the game most of the time. Sure, I aim for 320 (or now 335) but I play to listen to people talk sh1t and slag each other off - this new update will provide more of that, so happy enough.

Would like to have seen them bring SRL back as a rotational PvP mode, just for something a little different to do on occasion. But no biggie.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Delighted with the extra content, the way I see it is the more to do in Destiny the more I will play it and thats a good thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Is that Court of Oryx artefact a guaranteed drop? I have plenty of antiquated runes regardless.

At the end of the day I play Destiny for fun, because I enjoy the game most of the time. Sure, I aim for 320 (or now 335) but I play to listen to people talk sh1t and slag each other off - this new update will provide more of that, so happy enough.

You're in good company so here

Is that Court of Oryx artefact a guaranteed drop? I have plenty of antiquated runes regardless.

It wasn't clarified tbh.

Cormac... wrote: »
    You're in good company so here

Well thats a very large part of it, to be sure. If I hadn't joined the boards.ie clan and was left to playing group activities via LFG, i'd have probably given up on Destiny a long time ago.

As it is, I have fun playing Destiny with the people I regularly play it with and I am glad to see content dropping that prolongs that.

As I said a few weeks ago, always happy for Iron Banner week because it means there are more fireteams around to play with, rather than solo.

I would think its back to good old RNG. So it seems only a few ways to get 335 stuff, artifact from the Court or weapons/armour from the top level rewards via Variks. A lot of the other stuff seems capped at 330.

Hopefully next week they might mention about exotics aswell.

• Advertisement

The thing is, as far as I can see the "Top Tier" activities will actually be either 320 or maybe 330 light. It doesn't look like you'll need to be 330 or 335 for anything (except maybe Oryx himself on Hard Mode)

I trust them to not f**k up the QoL stuff.... but the balancing.... I just know it's gonna be another huge pendulum swing

i.e. Scout Rifle base damage reduced by 25% in PvP etc.....:mad:

All the should do is Buff Handcannons a tiny bit, buff Fusions a decent bit and try bring some of the "bad" archtype weapons in line with the others.

It seems "Low impact" stuff has far to much of an advantage over "High Impact" stuff when it comes to Time to Kill.... and on that note, the Jade Rabbit needs a buff

also, unless it was down to luck or dev environment shenanigans, it could be a guaranteed 335 weapon (as that is what dropped on the stream) for the high score and I would assume a guaranteed 335 piece of armor from the cumulative score (PoE Challenge mode).

Obviously RNG will play havoc with armor type and rolls, but with infusion....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Looking forward to this as well.

I haven't even killed Skolas though so I may need to do some catch up and get him done before this drops, even if its just to get the feel of POE again as its been a while since I've graced the Reef with my presence.

But yes looking good for April, something new to look forward to I suppose.

EDIT: Oh and it's free ....

The update seems grand. I doubt it is meant to bring people back to the game, but to give the those still playing some more to do.

Just thinking though, would it not be better to leave light level capped at 320, and and use the new PoE versions as extra ways to get 320 gear?
    Bringing up the difficulty, and the level of the rewards from Kings Fall only delay it's falling by the side, since 330 will be the max gear from there. Once we hit 330, doing Kings Fall will only be useful for trying to get exotics, and giving those who have not done it before a run through it. It will join the ranks of VoG and CE.

Just thinking though, would it not be better to leave light level capped at 320.

Nope, cause then all of us would have nothing to do (I care not for being 320 when doing 310 activities). I want content, not reworking of exiting end game.

I'm here touting "Shotgun Only CE" since about a year now..... still no biters... day 372....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might jump back in for this.

Stopped playing after doing the KF hard challenges a few times.

Varik wrote: »
    Might jump back in for this.

See Beard? You were wrong! :P

There will always be a few outliers.

We need a graph, or at the very least a table

• Advertisement

I'm fond of a good long graph.

The weekly updates last night had more about the 330/335 drops, the words "upto" were used a lot. Also is seems there are no checkpoints in Prison of Elders.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

syboit wrote: »
    The weekly updates last night had more about the 330/335 drops, the words "upto" were used a lot. Also is seems there are no checkpoints in Prison of Elders.

I'll have to re-read the weekly update - but I thought that they corrected themselves over this. In that they said there were no checkpoints during the stream; but PoE does actually have checkpoints?

Too long, did not watch:
    • The April Update arrives on 04/12/2016
    • New content will be available to players of Destiny: The Taken King
    • The King is dead, but the Taken War rages on in our Solar System
    • Variks the Loyal has a renewed call to arms to battle Taken foes
    • Guardians will face new challenges through new Quests, Bounties, and Strikes
    • Maximum Light is being raised to 335, with many new ways to level up
    • Prison of Elders has a new Level 41 mode to empower you reach 320
    • Challenge of Elders is a new Level 42 scored mode to empower you to reach 335
    • Players who achieve High and Cumulative scores are guaranteed Weapons and Armor
    • Challenge of Elders rewards have up to 335 Light, depending on your power

Not mentioned on stream, but also totally true:
    • King’s Fall will drop rewards up to 330
    • Court of Oryx will drop Artifacts up to 335
    • Sometimes I forget to ask the most important questions

Mentioned on stream, but not actually true:
    • Prison of Elders does not have checkpoints (oops, sorry)
    • This is what happens when we preview work in progress on a live show

The level 41 PoE not having Checkpoints could be a bit of a pain, it will be SIMILAR (but not as hard I think) as when we hit the 35 one first; but apparently the challenge mode is generally done in 35mins or so in their play tests, so I don't see no checkpoints there being a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

The level 41 PoE not having Checkpoints could be a bit of a pain, it will be SIMILAR (but not as hard I think) as when we hit the 35 one first; but apparently the challenge mode is generally done in 35mins or so in their play tests, so I don't see no checkpoints there being a big problem.

What about the level 42 Challenge Of Elders? I imagine that being Skolas-esque length with the odd guardian having to bail in the final round before completion? The buggyness of joining as the 2 inside wipe is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Cormac... wrote: »
    Too long, did not watch:
    • Maximum Light is being raised to 335, with many new ways to level up
    • Prison of Elders has a new Level 41 mode to empower you reach 320
    • Challenge of Elders is a new Level 42 scored mode to empower you to reach 335
    • King’s Fall will drop rewards up to 330
    • Court of Oryx will drop Artifacts up to 335

Would I be right in saying:
    Many new ways to level up but only 1 way to hit maximum light, PoE 42 Challenge mode?
    With the only way to get a 335 artifact through CoO?

Yes Chimp, that sounds about right.

Loads of ways to hit 320
    A good few ways of hitting 330
    2 ways of hitting 335

But remember.... you don't NEED to be 335 for ANYTHING.

Once you're 320, you are at the highest level for all content (except for maybe trials arguably)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Trials / Iron Banner is exactly what I was thinking of...

It's a shame to see KF being made redundant...

• Advertisement

Trials / Iron Banner is exactly what I was thinking of...

It's a shame to see KF being made redundant...

It's not being made redundant. You can get 330 gear from it after the update.

That's 330/335. That's 98.5% of the maximum light level

No PvE activity will require you to be greater than 320.

Also if you went in at 320 in Trials (as opposed to 335) you will only be incurring a 2.5% damage reduction to outgoing damage and a 2.5% increase to incoming damage (IF THE PERSON SHOOTING YOU IS 335)

That's a full swing of 5% (outgoing vs incoming) in damage shift between a 320 and 335 player.

That is NOT going to be a game changer or a match winner.

If light level mattered as much as some people think, then going into Trials at 295 with Icebreaker (etc) would be cripplingly hard and unplayable, it's been shown that is not the case.

Don't let chasing the 335 Dragon ruin the game cause it really doesn't matter.
    Sure it will be nice to hit 325, 330 and 335.
    But if you're losing your mind or getting salty over it the problem is not the game, it's your perception of what matters in a game.

delta_zoom.jpg

BEING 335 DOES NOT MATTER CAUSE OF MATHS

The only time it would matter is EXTREMELY particular. I'm talking a 320 vs 335 in Trials whereby the 335 player is using a VERY particular pulse with High Impact and hits 6 headshots with 2 bursts to kill you instead killing you with 6 head shots and 1 body shot on the 3rd burst

That kind of thing will happen 0.001% of the time, if even that.

If you want evidence I'm right, try Iron Banner at 305 Light. You;re not going to "Get Wrecked"

This whole 335 thing is like the 320 thing, it's just people who don't know the facts and figures shouting in an echo chamber because the feel like they are not "done" with the game until they are MAXIMUM LEVEL!!!

Trying to hit 320 earliest (in the past) before the update has resulted in players basically no-lifing the game and then burning out and getting salty after a few weeks.

See the PS4 players that were deleting characters etc and running KF like 7 times a week...... they hit 319 or finally 320.... 2 weeks lafter BAM!!! Challenge mode and guarded 320s for all :pac:

Advertisement