Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC Upgrade

Options
  • 24-03-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to do a small upgrade on what I currently have - it's fine by and large but I'd like to future proof it and make it a quieter.
    I think it's the power supply that's noisy as even when it's idling at 1% CPU usage it's whirring away and always has been since built - at the moment it's in a room away from the bedrooms but it'll be moving over the next few months so quietness is important.
    A higher passmark would be nice too, it's at 3800ish now but I may be serving more people so 2 or more 1080p streams at once is important.

1. What is your budget? Lets keep it under €300
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Upgrade of existing HTPC
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No
    5. Do you need a monitor? No
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No
    8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser
    9. When are you purchasing? Now

My build was suggested in this thread but for ease of viewing it's the following:
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155
    ASRock H61M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX
    4GB Patriot AMD Entertainment Edition PC3-10600 1333MHz
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA

Any suggestions on a new CPU, extra RAM and a good, quiet power supply?
    At least I presume it's the power supply as mentioned above. Need to keep it as quiet as possible so I won't get murdered by the OH.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you tried pulling a couple of streams from it? I doubt the CPU needs an upgrade, or the RAM.

For the PSU, Upgrading to a larger one with a quieter fan is the handiest way, you can also just change the fan in your PSU. I doubt that's a recommended step though, I've done it and it's easy to do.

4gb DDR3 is about €20-25, ideally you'd want to get the same as the RAM you have, but as before, I don't know if you'll need an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I've rarely had to pull more than 1 stream at a time but I'm thinking more of when 4k becomes more common and I will have to do more remote streaming rather than local streaming so network speeds may mean transcoding may become more of an issue.

I run a few small programmes out of it like Sonarr, CP, Plex, PlexPy, Sabnzb etc so I thought more RAM might come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Quickly googling for a psu: http://www.quietpc.com/sst-st30sf
    A media graphics card should allow it to pump two video streams a little better.
    I was doing a little research and this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Nvidia-Graphics-Card-PCI-E/dp/B00NM3BWVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1458818117&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+740
    Looks good. Was looking at the 730 originally but that is only a tiny step up from onboard. Then the price difference between 740 and 750 and 750TI was like... 20 pounds.

I think your amount of RAM is fine. So is the processor honestly.

Advertisement