Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiognomy

Options
  • 24-03-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

I wish to contact people who are interested in the subject of Physiognomy, can you please suggest a forum to place my post ! Thanks !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I don't think there is a precise match. It's long discredited pseudoscience, and we don't have a forum dedicated to that. That's not to say there aren't forums where pseudoscience isn't welcome, there is the likes of Conspiracy Theories and the Paranormal forums where such things are common, but there's no conspiracy or paranormal aspect here. The most general home for it would be popular science. How welcome it might be there would depend upon whether you're attempting to take it seriously though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Spear wrote: »
    I don't think there is a precise match. It's long discredited pseudoscience, and we don't have a forum dedicated to that. That's not to say there aren't forums where pseudoscience isn't welcome, there is the likes of Conspiracy Theories and the Paranormal forums where such things are common, but there's no conspiracy or paranormal aspect here. The most general home for it would be popular science. How welcome it might be there would depend upon whether you're attempting to take it seriously though.

Who are these great judges that label subjects they do not agree with or understand as pseudosciences ?.

The principal promoter of physiognomy in modern times was the Swiss pastor Johann Kaspar Lavater (1741–1801) who was briefly a friend of Goethe. Lavater's essays on physiognomy were first published in German in 1772 and gained great popularity. These influential essays were translated into French and English

The principal promoter of physiognomy in modern times was the Swiss pastor Johann Kaspar Lavater (1741–1801) who was briefly a friend of Goethe. Lavater's essays on physiognomy were first published in German in 1772 and gained great popularity. These influential essays were translated into French and English.

A February 2009 article in NewScientist magazine reported that physiognomy is living a small revival, with research papers trying to find links between personality traits and facial traits.[1] Still no conclusive evidence exists for any clear link.[1]

A physiognomist named Yo****o Mizuno was employed from 1936 to 1945 by the Imperial Japanese Naval Aeronautics Department, examining candidates for the Naval Air Corps, after—to their surprise—Admiral Yamamoto's staff discovered that he could predict with over 80% accuracy the qualifications of candidates to become successful pilots.[19]

In 2011, the South Korean news agency Yonhap published a physiognomical analysis of the current leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-Un.

I have been aware of the subject for many years, my curiosity was again recently awoken when reading a copy of Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/140063991

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

I would appreciate it if you would publish my last post to this thread. I am not asking for a reply, just to be published. Thank you !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Xenophile wrote: »
    I would appreciate it if you would publish my last post to this thread. I am not asking for a reply, just to be published. Thank you !

I held off on approving that for a few reasons. Principally to spare you from making it look like you've been taken in by crank nonsense, but additionally your post is mostly just extracts from a Wikipedia page which also repeatedly notes it as being pseudoscience.

Thank you !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Xenophile wrote: »
    I wish to contact people who are interested in the subject of Physiognomy, can you please suggest a forum to place my post ! Thanks !
    Hi Xenophile. If you wish to discuss the philosophical implications of Physiognomy, perhaps citing the works of Pythagoras or Aristotle or Giambattista della Porta or Johann Caspar Lavater or William Hogarth or Lord Shaftesbury, you may do so in our Philosophy forum. If so, please read our Philosophy charter before opening your OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement