Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally a trisutto blog post I agree with

Options
  • 24-03-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://trisutto.com/swimming-towards-faster-bike-splits/

A lot in here which was discussed elsewhere on this forum very recently. After the nonsense about cadence or not bringing a water bottle to the pool, this article speaks a lot of sense. This line in particular is one often ignored by people training for long distance and then wonder why they cant hit their watts on the bike and blow up on the run.

A lot of triathletes neglect their swim training since it’s the leg that takes the less time in the races, particularly in the longer distances. Those who don’t come from a swimming background are usually the first to neglect it. However, it’s important to be able to swim longer or at higher intensity than the race day distance or you might struggle later in the event, due to compounding fatigue where everything was given on the swim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

great if you agree it has to be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »
    great if you agree it has to be right.

Finally, you see the light!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Good point about the swimming. I heard about it before sutto wrote about it, is my coach better? ;)

It didn't make sense to me until I realised that it was not about getting faster in the pool for me, it was that by being swim fit it would take less out of me for the other legs.

Common sense really. Just never saw it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

BTH wrote: »
    Finally, you see the light!! ;)

would we agree that a 400 tt gives little indication about swiming strong ;-0 ?

peter kern wrote: »
    would we agree that a 400 tt gives little indication about swiming strong ;-0 ?

"Swimming strong"?? It would depend on how you define swimming strong, and for who you are defining it. A 400TT would be very relevant for someone targeting a masters swim gala :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Whats yer thoughts on this?

Skip the warm down once per week after a specific and high exertion main set. This will give an extreme sensation of “heavy shoulders” for the rest of the day and will subtly teach athletes on how to deal with this sensation by developing an ease and familiarity with the discomfort.
    The effect of not doing a proper warm down after a hard swim will surely be felt for a few hours – just like it does on race day, during the later stages. This is due to a lack of circulation and few over-head movements required. Lactic acid is a very sticky substance and will remain stuck around the bones, so it’s important to be able to deal with it, mentally and physically, as it does affect the fluidity and comfort of our movements.

Green&Red wrote: »

Skip the warm down once per week after a specific and high exertion main set. This will give an extreme sensation of “heavy shoulders” for the rest of the day and will subtly teach athletes on how to deal with this sensation by developing an ease and familiarity with the discomfort.
    The effect of not doing a proper warm down after a hard swim will surely be felt for a few hours – just like it does on race day, during the later stages. This is due to a lack of circulation and few over-head movements required. Lactic acid is a very sticky substance and will remain stuck around the bones, so it’s important to be able to deal with it, mentally and physically, as it does affect the fluidity and comfort of our movements.

How much of a warm down do you usually take. For me, max 200m, usually 50/100m. It's not exactly a proper cool down so effectively doing this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Good point, 200m max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Green&Red wrote: »

This is a new one on me, anymore information on this?

Advertisement