Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Byrne 2016

• 22-03-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what date this is happening for 2016? I have no targets yet this year so thought this could be a good one!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Anyone know what date this is happening for 2016? I have no targets yet this year so thought this could be a good one!

Sunday, 29th. May 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pumatrev

When will the entry for this be opened, done it last year great event, looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Entry opened in late April last year so it will probably be the same this year. Definitely one of the best sportives going whether you do the 100, 160 or 200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've only 2 other distance events planned this year so I might sign up. I'll put in an application with herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Is there a shorter route say 110 or 160 for those not up to the full 200?

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »
    Is there a shorter route say 110 or 160 for those not up to the full 200?

Yes.
    Entry opened in late April last year so it will probably be the same this year. Definitely one of the best sportives going whether you do the 100, 160 or 200.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Online entry opening soon:
    http://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/mick-byrne-200/

MIght see can I get out to it this year, always one of my favourite events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

I did the 160 three years ago and the 200 last year. Don't be fooled the 200 is a beast and those extra 40k with all that extra climbing could you finish you off. Brilliant event, one and only one I try to get to. the missed year was due to a communion :-)

CramCycle wrote: »
    Online entry opening soon:
    http://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/mick-byrne-200/

MIght see can I get out to it this year, always one of my favourite events.

Bring a bike with gears :D

daragh_ wrote: »
    Bring a bike with gears :D

My OH bought me one this year, its interesting and confusing in equal measure.

• Advertisement

Online entry now open on http://www.sorrentocyclingclub.com/uncategorized/2015-mick-byrne-randonee/

A bit of a jump in entry fee and online charge from last year but at least the surplus goes to the Hospice Foundation. Have done a few MB100s and 160s but I think I'll see how the W200 goes in June before even thinking about the MB200 next year. From memory, you can make the call on the morning (or on the road) as to which distance you do.

Online entry now open on http://www.sorrentocyclingclub.com/uncategorized/2015-mick-byrne-randonee/

A bit of a jump in entry fee and online charge from last year but at least the surplus goes to the Hospice Foundation. Have done a few MB100s and 160s but I think I'll see how the W200 goes in June before even thinking about the MB200 next year. From memory, you can make the call on the morning (or on the road) as to which distance you do.

You could always decide before starting on the morning or on the road, they do ask that you let them know though so that they aren't waiting at a control for the last rider through. Which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Just entered this. I've been meaning to do it for a few years. Aiming for the 200 which will be a bit of a challenge given my current fitness. Hopefully eight weeks is enough time to improve things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^
    Two training runs available...

Midlands Meander a nice flat 200 in 3 weeks time followed a month later by
    Wolftrap 200 with a bit of climbing in the Slieve Blooms...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

I have committed myself to the 200 again this year, at least I know whats in store.

Roped in a couple of nutters from the club to give it a lash too.

God save us....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Signed up. Haven't been around the route since my second Audax ride back in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Euro Fred

Is it more or less the same as the WW200 in terms of difficulty?

I've signed up but my main worry is that i don't know the roads from Roundwood to Aughavannagh so not sure what to expect.

I've done the WW200 last year and the Orwell Randonee last week so I "think" I'll be ok

Euro Fred wrote: »
    More difficult in my opinion but also more enjoyable.
    I've signed up but my main worry is that i don't know the roads from Roundwood to Aughavannagh so not sure what to expect.
    The MB is one of the best signposted of the Audax events, keep an eye out for the yellow arrows and MB200 spraypainted on the road.
    I've done the WW200 last year and the Orwell Randonee last week so I "think" I'll be ok
    If you got around the Orwell 160 recently you should be more than prepared.

Euro Fred wrote: »

Harder than the W200 but if you've done the Orwell Randonee you will be fine.
    It's basically all climbing. 2 minutes from the start you are going up and it doesn't really let up from there. Pacing yourself is the key to a good day.

And Rice Cones. Lot's of Rice Cones.

I've signed up. Jury is still out on me getting a pass for the day with the Evil the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm in, third time now. Coming back the night before after 2 weeks of no cycling, this will be tough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    I'm in, third time now. Coming back the night before after 2 weeks of no cycling, this will be tough :D
    Could be the opposite Alek as your body may be fully rested. I had to take an enforced 2 week break in 2012 (broken bones) and when I returned I felt as if someone had fitted a motorbike engine into me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You may be right... we'll see, we'll see! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Good luck to all today, I had to pull out due to lack of training as I pulled a back muscle and was off the bike for 2 days but am planning to do the 200 now later in the year.

Advertisement