Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing cabling through walls

Options
  • 24-03-2016 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I've just moved in to a new house and we're scratching our heads over the wiring. It's a recent-ish build (8 years old roughly). All the houses in the estate were prewired with Cat5e and coax with plenty of faceplate jacks around the house. The problem is that we can't find the other end of the wiring for the jacks. The other houses in the estate have a central box in the kitchen with a patch panel for hooking everything up (i.e. connect external UPC line to house's internal coax lines with a splitter, and connect ports of cable modem/router to the Cat5 ethernet lines). Our house had some renovation/extension done and they've gotten rid of the box. Presumably the wiring is tucked away somewhere, but I've yet to find it short of ripping open walls.

Is there any way to trace the wires back back to find where they end? In summary, I have access to one end of each wire (Cat5 and coax) and I'd like to trace it back through the house to see where they end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishfire

Luck100 wrote:
    I've just moved in to a new house and we're scratching our heads over the wiring. It's a recent-ish build (8 years old roughly). All the houses in the estate were prewired with Cat5e and coax with plenty of faceplate jacks around the house. The problem is that we can't find the other end of the wiring for the jacks. The other houses in the estate have a central box in the kitchen with a patch panel for hooking everything up (i.e. connect external UPC line to house's internal coax lines with a splitter, and connect ports of cable modem/router to the Cat5 ethernet lines). Our house had some renovation/extension done and they've gotten rid of the box. Presumably the wiring is tucked away somewhere, but I've yet to find it short of ripping open walls.

Luck100 wrote:
    Is there any way to trace the wires back back to find where they end? In summary, I have access to one end of each wire (Cat5 and coax) and I'd like to trace it back through the house to see where they end.

Reading your post I was going to suggest a toner and probe, but depending on how thick the walls are and how deep the cables are this might be ineffective, worth a try though

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

irishfire wrote: »
    Reading your post I was going to suggest a toner and probe, but depending on how thick the walls are and how deep the cables are this might be ineffective, worth a try though

Any idea where I can get my hands on toner and probe? I found this Fluke Pro3000 unit on Amazon US but it's going to be well over a 100 euros with shipping and duty. Plus it will probably take weeks to get here, and then who knows if it will do the job.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-26000900-Pro3000-Generator/dp/B000FTADX0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1EZ2V2AKS0VVR

Advertisement