Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU components source for Audio Prod desktop build?

Options
  • 24-03-2016 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

A guy is offering me a custom build of

i7-6700k (Quad-core) @4.0GHz
    MSI Z170A PC Mate
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    Corsair CX500W Semi-Modular PSU
    Fractal Design Define S

for 900 euro. No storage drive included as I reckoned I'd be better off trying to source at least that part cheaply by myself. I'll be wanting a 500GB+ SSD, there's a few quid at stake one way or the other.

I'm looking for something that will keep me in bulky DAW sessions choc-full of sample libraries and realtime VST action on a couple of dozen tracks without any problems for a few years to come, and more importantly I guess, very upgradeable for a couple of years beyond that too.

I've checked out newegg and Scan UK and didn't like how prices were shaping up with all the shipping and/or VAT built in.

I would put the thing together myself if I could get the parts at the right price - are there EU sites I should check out before pulling the trigger on something like this offer above here?

Edit: I see the FAQ etc wants me to fill this out so here it is:

1. What is your budget? [€999]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Audio - recording (i.e. at low latency with an ext interface) and production (massive sessions of VSTs and large sample libraries to be toggled between without waiting around all day)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 19" and upwards is fine

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] - Need keyboard and mouse but don't need high end ones

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not big into it as my previous machine was like jet turbine because of the CPU OC.

8. How can you pay? Credit card

9. When are you purchasing? No hard deadline but purchasing pretty soon

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin city but I won't need help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Also, comments on the build welcome. I'm hoping for it to be a decently quiet machine but doesn't need to be dead silent. Was thinking I'd get away with regular heatsink/fan coming with the CPU rather than getting into liquid cooling and passive-only methods

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

6700k doesn't come with a cooler so you'd want to find out what he's put on it

To build yourself,

6700k €350
    Z170 €100
    Case €100
    500w PSU €60
    512gb SSD €120 (bit higher I'd say)
    2tb HDD €80
    16gb DDR4 €80
    Cooler €40
    Total €930

So you could get a free SSD and a case of your choosing to build yourself basically

Amazon is handy for parts, I don't think dabs is extortionate for SSDs iirc, memoryc.ie is quite good too

If going the self build route, then mindfactory.de, computer universe or amazon are the best priced places

*Edit* Forgot the cooler :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Do you need an i7? A i5 can cut most tasks, and the price

We can shave another bit if you want to drop overclocking, I doubt its necessary either

Advertisement