Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest outisde IFI in city west today.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Just seen that the public service extended the deadline for applying to the IFI National Forum, must be low on numbers applying. Anyone who wants to get their say across and hopes to influence any new policies and developments should apply for this
    Earlier this morning I posted this on the IFPAC Facebook page
    " At many meetings of the first forum members were asked to comment on certain issues. They were given no advance notice of the issues and members were divided up into different groups and each given a different issue to discuss. After an hour all got together to report on and discuss the issues. Then everyone went home and never heard back from IFI on whether they paid the slightest bit of attention to the forums views. At the first meeting of the new forum it will be essential that forum members make it perfectly clear to IFI that they do not want to be wasting their time at these forum meetings and that , in future, business at the forum meetings must be done in a proper structured way with detailed feedback on how their views have been taken into account by IFI. We believe that the actual online application form is some piece of work but if you are anyway interested do go ahead and apply. Closing date is 5th May."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

jkchambers wrote: »
    " At many meetings of the first forum members were asked to comment on certain issues. They were given no advance notice of the issues and members were divided up into different groups and each given a different issue to discuss. After an hour all got together to report on and discuss the issues. Then everyone went home and never heard back from IFI on whether they paid the slightest bit of attention to the forums views. At the first meeting of the new forum it will be essential that forum members make it perfectly clear to IFI that they do not want to be wasting their time at these forum meetings and that , in future, business at the forum meetings must be done in a proper structured way with detailed feedback on how their views have been taken into account by IFI. We believe that the actual online application form is some piece of work but if you are anyway interested do go ahead and apply. Closing date is 5th May."

Where can you find the application form?
    I had a look at their website but couldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Where can you find the application form?
    I had a look at their website but couldn't see it.

You need to register and log on to public jobs to download an Adobe Acrobat link to the interactive form on their website. Link appears only to work with Acrobat.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

The application form is actually a joke, and it already gives me an idea of the type of people that are sought and are likely to be there. I know it didn't work well the last time John but I went ahead and applied anyway. It's easy for us all to post on a forum here and give out about this and that and how we think things should be done. But if we have any chance of change or want to offer our input or recommendations in any areas, then we should take any chance we have that comes along IMO

The application form is actually a joke, and it already gives me an idea of the type of people that are sought and are likely to be there. I know it didn't work well the last time John but I went ahead and applied anyway. It's easy for us all to post on a forum here and give out about this and that and how we think things should be done. But if we have any chance of change or want to offer our input or recommendations in any areas, then we should take any chance we have that comes along IMO

Good to hear that you applied and I hope more did. The angling federations were asked to each nominate 2 people and I can confirm that the Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs (IFPAC) have nominated 2.

• Advertisement

There was a meeting of the main angling federations last night and the closure of hatcheries was high on the agenda. These closures could have a dire effect on the many clubs who rely on stock from Roscrea to keep their waters stocked and club memberships reasonable. The Dodder runs behind my house and it is great to see the scores of kids on the river from St Patricks Day onwards. While there are wild trout in the Dodder they rely on stockies to provide enough fish to keep the kids interested. The federations are working on a strategy to fight these closures.
    You would never know, trout anglers may soon be joining us pike anglers protesting outside the IFI offices. All should remember that anglers are fighting against IFI policies that are decided on high and not against the rank and file staff of IFI who also seem to be rather annoyed with their management these days

Word is that the Minister was not informed that IFI planned closing the hatcheries before IFI announced it and that he is not happy. He has had lots of representations on the issue from angling interests and local T.D.s and I have heard of the calls he has made. Word is that there will be a public consultation on the matter, which I am sure, will find in favour of retaining the hatcheries. Another cock up by IFI senior management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

good news, hopefully they will stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Word is that the Minister was not informed that IFI planned closing the hatcheries before IFI announced it and that he is not happy. He has had lots of representations on the issue from angling interests and local T.D.s and I have heard of the calls he has made. Word is that there will be a public consultation on the matter, which I am sure, will find in favour of retaining the hatcheries. Another cock up by IFI senior management.

I hear they were closed as they were losing money and don't have the money to keep them open. It's all well and good for the minister to step in and say otherwise, but who's going to pay for it? New minister playing politics but I bet he doesn't stump up the funds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Zzippy wrote: »
    I hear they were closed as they were losing money and don't have the money to keep them open. It's all well and good for the minister to step in and say otherwise, but who's going to pay for it? New minister playing politics but I bet he doesn't stump up the funds...

They spend a fortune on gill netting and removing pike which is something an increasing number of anglers (pike and trout) don't agree with. If a decent public campaign against the gill netting ever comes along they could easily be forced to stop it.
    I'd imagine many are arguing that this is the obvious place to save money right now.

They spend a fortune on gill netting and removing pike which is something an increasing number of anglers (pike and trout) don't agree with. If a decent public campaign against the gill netting ever comes along they could easily be forced to stop it.
    I'd imagine many are arguing that this is the obvious place to save money right now.

Do they? Do you know how much is spent on gillnetting (which I don't agree with either, btw) vs running the fish farms? My understanding is that one is far far more expensive than the other. I agree that gillnetting should be stopped, but the money saved would be so small in comparison to the hatchery running costs that it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

• Advertisement

Do they? Do you know how much is spent on gillnetting (which I don't agree with either, btw) vs running the fish farms? My understanding is that one is far far more expensive than the other. I agree that gillnetting should be stopped, but the money saved would be so small in comparison to the hatchery running costs that it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

No I admit I don't know how much the fish farms cost to run nor how much they make back from it. But they're looking to cut costs and obviously feel that the money spent on gill netting shouldn't be touched.

I do know it costs IFI a whopping €31.72 to gill net each and every pike. Average size of fish very small, maybe 2lbs. And they slaughter thousands and thousands every year with this method.
    IFI spent well over half a million euro on gill netting pike between 2010 and 2014.

€31.72 per dead pike and they charge anglers €45 membership fee for the Midlands Fisheries waters to keep the ball rolling.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd still be against it if it was costing them .50c to kill a pike. But €31.72!!

Money well spent?

I was told that around 2 years ago the IFI CEO got permission to appoint Canadian consultants to look at the fish farms at a cost of around €50,000. The Canadian company presented their report, rumour has it that a certain person didnt like it and sent it back for amendment, version 2 arrives and is sent back, version 3 arrives and is sent back. I understand that version 4 is the latest one. I further understand that this is now in the hands of trout anglers who are most anxious to get their hands on version 1. When I hear the contents I will report back.

I was told that around 2 years ago the IFI CEO got permission to appoint Canadian consultants to look at the fish farms at a cost of around €50,000. The Canadian company presented their report, rumour has it that a certain person didnt like it and sent it back for amendment, version 2 arrives and is sent back, version 3 arrives and is sent back. I understand that version 4 is the latest one. I further understand that this is now in the hands of trout anglers who are most anxious to get their hands on version 1. When I hear the contents I will report back.

FOI is a powerful tool in the right hands... ;);)

FOI is a powerful tool in the right hands... ;);)

FOI has gone in I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

No I admit I don't know how much the fish farms cost to run nor how much they make back from it. But they're looking to cut costs and obviously feel that the money spent on gill netting shouldn't be touched.

I do know it costs IFI a whopping €31.72 to gill net each and every pike. Average size of fish very small, maybe 2lbs. And they slaughter thousands and thousands every year with this method.
    IFI spent well over half a million euro on gill netting pike between 2010 and 2014.

€31.72 per dead pike and they charge anglers €45 membership fee for the Midlands Fisheries waters to keep the ball rolling.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd still be against it if it was costing them .50c to kill a pike. But €31.72!!

Money well spent?

Where does the 31.72 figure come from, is it annual reports?

Am I right in thinking all pike are catch and release? Why don't they just let the europeans keep and eat them as the eat pike on continent?

a148pro wrote: »

Am I right in thinking all pike are catch and release? Why don't they just let the europeans keep and eat them as the eat pike on continent?

Pike removal costs were tabulated twice by IFPAC. All the information has been tabulated from freedom of information requests
    Pike%20Removal%20Costs%20091009_zpsupbfrhde.jpg
    pike%20costs%202014_zpsb9ia7xmg.png

a148pro wrote: »

That image that jkchambers just posted was sent around Facebook a while back, I worked it out from there. Electrofishing seems to work out a lot cheaper per fish.

I think you're allowed to keep two pike under a certain size. Not sure. Most practice catch and release for all pike. Except the fisheries board who still slaughter thousands every year.

That image that jkchambers just posted was sent around Facebook a while back, I worked it out from there. Electrofishing seems to work out a lot cheaper per fish.

I think you're allowed to keep two pike under a certain size. Not sure. Most practice catch and release for all pike. Except the fisheries board who still slaughter thousands every year.

Those tables were put up on the IFPAC facebook page earlier this year and lots of people shared the post. An angler is allowed to take 1 puke under 50 cms for the table not 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Those tables were put up on the IFPAC facebook page earlier this year and lots of people shared the post. An angler is allowed to take 1 puke under 50 cms for the table not 2.
    they shouldnt be allowed to take any at all... all coarse fish should be catch and release. My local river has been ruined because of the four a day rule, I understand that its a handy rule if u deadbait which i do, but it allows people to use the river as a meal ticket.I dont bother goin down there anymore even tho its 5mins from my house.
    The scary thing is that its actually patrolled because theres salmon goin up it. So u can only imagine how bad it is on canals that arent patrolled. Is it true theres only two baliffs fisheries officers* policing the whole of dublin/kildare area?

MOD: Edited as per charter

Advertisement