Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Johan Cruijff has died

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

This for me was THE Cruijff moment.

What the clip doesnt show is that he as actually busy rearranging his socks moments before that ball came in his direction. You can still see the string of bandage (as that was what was used to keep the socks up...) in his right hand.

Yes, he might be busy with his socks but you have to be a fool to think he wasnt paying attention and not already thinking what to do next.

dudara wrote: »
    As the Guardian said... "Cruyff was argumentative, arrogant, dominating and brilliant". In other words he was 100% Dutch and they, along with football fans everywhere, will miss him

The Guardian can be of the opinion we might be all that but at least we dont put pictures of Robbie Rensenbrink up when the article is about one of the worlds most famous football players ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

inforfun wrote: »
    The Guardian can be of the opinion we might be all that but at least we dont put pictures of Robbie Rensenbrink up when the article is about one of the worlds most famous football players ever.

That is a seriously embarassing error.

Used google translate so....

Jan Olsson (73) was a Swedish international, but the former defender is especially remembered for one moment: the day when Johan Cruyff put him with the now famous Cruyff-turn for a ride.
    Thursday of lung cancer deceased Cruyff (68) did at the World Cup of 1974. He stood with his back to Olsson, pretended he gave a through ball, but sliced ​​the ball past his standing leg toward the goal line. "Every time the time passes, it is laughed at me and I laugh over it, 'Olsson reacts in British media on the sudden death of Amsterdam.

"Johan Cruyff has me worried the greatest moment of pride. He gave me my own space given in the history of football, has given people a reason to remember my name to this day. I found it an honor to stand on a box with him when he showed the world turn. The fact that he caused 20,000 Dutch fans laughed at me is a moment for me to cherish. "

Shame he does not feel. "What was I supposed to do to stop him?" He says rhetorically. "I have several great players come across in my career, but he was the greatest of them all, was an unprecedented high level. He was simply too fast, too soon even to kick him down. Yet we have never exchanged a word wrong, even after that Cruyff-turn. He was my idol and will always remain in my heart. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Along with Maradona, the greatest of all time. Hard to pick one over the other

Along with Maradona, the greatest of all time. Hard to pick one over the other

Or you could just pick Pele over both of them.

Or you could just pick Pele over both of them.

Not on the same level.

Not on the same level.

Really.

3 world cup wins.2 Copa Libertadores.2 Intercontinental Cups.Average of around a goal per game.If anything Cryuff and Maradona aren't on the same level as Pele.

Really.

3 world cup wins.2 Copa Libertadores.2 Intercontinental Cups.Average of around a goal per game.If anything Cryuff and Maradona aren't on the same level as Pele.

Didn't they win a world cup when he wasn't even there? Team accolades have little bearing on how good a player is, unless the player is the creative force in the team. Goals in American and South America. Never tried to do it in Europe though, did he? Happy with being a big fish in a little pond. I wouldn't even rate him as the greatest striker ever. I'd have Muller and a few others ahead of him

• Advertisement

Didn't they win a world cup when he wasn't even there? Team accolades have little bearing on how good a player is, unless the player is the creative force in the team. Goals in American and South America. Never tried to do it in Europe though, did he? Happy with being a big fish in a little pond. I wouldn't even rate him as the greatest striker ever. I'd have Muller and a few others ahead of him

South America Club Football was as strong if not stronger than European Club football during Pele's time.

He won the Intercontinental Cup twice with Santos (the 2 times they played in it).South American teams won 6 of the 10 Intercontinental cups in the 1960's.Santos regularly thrashed European teams they played when on international tours .

South America Club Football was as strong if not stronger than European Club football during Pele's time.

He won the Intercontinental Cup twice with Santos (the 2 times they played in it).South American teams won 6 of the 10 Intercontinental cups in the 1960's.Santos regularly thrashed European teams they played when on international tours .

It simply wasn't on the same level. And he was a striker. Cruyff and Maradona were attacking mids and the lynch pin in every team they played. They regularly dragged them to far greater heights. Pele didn't .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

inforfun wrote: »

This for me was THE Cruijff moment.

What the clip doesnt show is that he as actually busy rearranging his socks moments before that ball came in his direction. You can still see the string of bandage (as that was what was used to keep the socks up...) in his right hand.

Yes, he might be busy with his socks but you have to be a fool to think he wasnt paying attention and not already thinking what to do next.

That's just magnificant.

a4952c843d8777a5cfa70c7236e098b8.png
    e7c64f262c174e70ebde40f1dbf1d0e8.png

Probably explaining to Verstappen how to drive a formula 1 car....

Advertisement