Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Smallboy wrote: »
    That's actually really good idea I think. Would it stand against us to apply and just leave it there JUST INCASE.

And from speaking to Garda I heard that one member will give you the cold shoulder to see how you respond to this, but I guess if theyr smiling and laughing it's a good sign.

Pretty sure that new campain is to allow more females and ethnic minorities to apply.

I'm pretty sure the new campaign is for people who have always wanted to be a guard and to apply for the job,...23,000 people applied in 2013, 18,000 people in 2015, can't be all male! When i sat stage 2 half were women sitting exam, when sat interview 5 women waiting to 3 men waiting, was told by HR member of staff at interview i quote 'the recruitment were trilled to see the amount of ladies that had applied for job', was fantastic to hear! There are people on this tread waiting 8 years to finally get their dream of being a guard, myself being one always wanted finally getting opportunity (at final hurdle!), hopefully more recruitments to come and best of luck to all in 2016 recruitment, definitely read these threads so much advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭AudiKidd

VW73 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the new campaign is for people who have always wanted to be a guard and to apply for the job,...23,000 people applied in 2013, 18,000 people in 2015, can't be all male! When i sat stage 2 half were women sitting exam, when sat interview 5 women waiting to 3 men waiting, was told by HR member of staff at interview i quote 'the recruitment were trilled to see the amount of ladies that had applied for job', was fantastic to hear! There are people on this tread waiting 8 years to finally get their dream of being a guard, myself being one always wanted finally getting opportunity (at final hurdle!), hopefully more recruitments to come and best of luck to all in 2016 recruitment, definitely read these threads so much advice

I didn't come across any ethnic minority during any of the stages.

Even the at the last stage, the fitness test, It was at least 75% males, 25% females, all white.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wonderisit

Hey a friend of mine was leaving her interview and said that the guy who was taking all of the notes walked her out and said well done and he thought she did "very well" is this the norm???

She also said that the panel were very nice.
    And that they didn't throw any curve balls at all the interview was very straight forward.

AudiKidd wrote: »

Even the at the last stage, the fitness test, It was at least 75% males, 25% females, all white.

That's really interesting, curious to see ratio at physical I'll be attending. There was 1 ethnic minority at interview stage i attended, would be interesting to see statistics of Male/Female/Enthnic minority through each stage,

That's really interesting, curious to see ratio at physical I'll be attending. There was 1 ethnic minority at interview stage i attended, would be interesting to see statistics of Male/Female/Enthnic minority through each stage,

Just read a piece on a different thread about 2016 recruitment Heart break Kid your right, looking for more females, ethic minority, sorry for mix up! (didn't look into 2016 campaign don't want to jinx how far I've got in this campaign), know a few friends thinking of applying great stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Johnboy95

Is anybody experiencing any issues with the interview form link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JustCaff

Guys that have done it and or know; what's the attire for the day? Is it mad formal or will a simple white/grey shirt with a tie and slacks do or do I need the whole shebang?
    Thanks in advance.

Had mine Wednesday and there was a mixture. A shirt, tie and pants seemed to be what most people wore. I had a suit but I don't think it makes much odds.
    Best advice is, whatever you wear make sure it's clean and ironed, clean shaved and the likes. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

Can anyone help me! I have been called for interview. I was sent the information link and the interview form. I have my leaving cert and I forgot that i had foundation level maths done and passed. (hate the subject) I also have a FETAC and recently a QQI award
    will they stop me because of my foundation level even tho it was back in 2008 and I can count better now :P I have seen they look for 5 Subjects at min D3 grade. SOS please

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mac22

I also got a B in foundation maths for the leaving cert back in 2005, so long as you have the minimum 5 subjects including your language your good to go. I was in the same boat with regards maths results, also had Irish as my language. Passed PCT yesterday so just waiting on the call for next intake. Best of luck!

mac22 wrote: »
    I also got a B in foundation maths for the leaving cert back in 2005, so long as you have the minimum 5 subjects including your language your good to go. I was in the same boat with regards maths results, also had Irish as my language. Passed PCT yesterday so just waiting on the call for next intake. Best of luck!

Thank you so much this has brightened up my day! PHEW!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Lctm

Is there anyone else here done the leaving cert applied? And do you think there will be any issues with it? I got distinction. And Irish and German were 2 of the languages. I'm just wondering how do you know if you have passed both languages in leaving cert applied as its completely different. Any answers greatly appreciated 😊

I read somewhere here that the Garda HQ ring for references is it all the employers they ring because I havent spoken to them since I left and also have not told my current employer that Ive applied for the guards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lctm

If anybody needs any help or advice on the interview don't be afraid to message me.

I've done the interview twice, and passed it back in June.

It's difficult, but with lots of hard work and studying you should be fine.
    Did you do a prep course?

Lctm wrote: »
    Did you do a prep course?

Yeah I did. If you want to know which one then mail me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I read somewhere here that the Garda HQ ring for references is it all the employers they ring because I havent spoken to them since I left and also have not told my current employer that Ive applied for the guards!

There is a option on form b to not give permission for your current employers to be contacted

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭FletcherBelle

wonderisit wrote: »
    Hey a friend of mine was leaving her interview and said that the guy who was taking all of the notes walked her out and said well done and he thought she did "very well" is this the norm???

She also said that the panel were very nice.
    And that they didn't throw any curve balls at all the interview was very straight forward.

I found the panel to be nice too, they explained everything clearly and gave a chance to answer
    he just said thanks for coming to me and waved me off??
    Good luck in your interview

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hkejfjim

JustCaff wrote: »
    Had mine Wednesday and there was a mixture. A shirt, tie and pants seemed to be what most people wore. I had a suit but I don't think it makes much odds.
    Best advice is, whatever you wear make sure it's clean and ironed, clean shaved and the likes. Best of luck!

I had my interview about 6 weeks ago and I met with someone to go through stuff and I was told black suit with a white shirt, black shoes and a plain tie(I wore grey). Hope that helps.

I think you will find out if you have passed interview before they will start vetting you and they will only contact your current employer if you have agreed to that, and they will contact the references that you have given. They won't contact all of your previous employers.

Guys that have done it and or know; what's the attire for the day? Is it mad formal or will a simple white/grey shirt with a tie and slacks do or do I need the whole shebang?
    Thanks in advance.

It is a formal interview so it's best to dress formal. Look your best and you will feel better when you are in there

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

Nerves finally starting to settle in guys and gals. Any last minute tip that might help me and others going soon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Nerves finally starting to settle in guys and gals. Any last minute tip that might help me and others going soon?

The panel hate failing people.
    They want you to be a guard as much as you do.

Don't give short answers to any of their questions. If your talking and talking and they need to cut across you/interrupt you that's kind of a good sign. Don't be put off by being interrupted it's completely normal in an interview.

You have earned your place in front of those three people be confident not nervous. Now go and earn your place in Templemore

D Trent wrote: »
    The panel hate failing people.
    They want you to be a guard as much as you do.

Don't give short answers to any of their questions. If your talking and talking and they need to cut across you/interrupt you that's kind of a good sign. Don't be put off by being interrupted it's completely normal in an interview.

You have earned your place in front of those three people be confident not nervous. Now go and earn your place in Templemore

Exactly what I needed my friend. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

Thanks to all the contributors on here throughout the years. The advice is hugely appreciated and extremely helpful.

Does anyone know about the grading? Like is every competency one part where if your fail 1/5 you've failed? Or are they a collective where if you get 3/5 you've passed that section? Or does anyone have an idea of what they think?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

Does anyone know about the grading? Like is every competency one part where if your fail 1/5 you've failed? Or are they a collective where if you get 3/5 you've passed that section? Or does anyone have an idea of what they think?

You need to get a qualifying score on each of the competencies! If you fall below the qualifying score on any of the competencies you fail

BobbyDaisy wrote: »
    You need to get a qualifying score on each of the competencies! If you fall below the qualifying score on any of the competencies you fail

Sounds rough alright, but obviously it's do-able. Would you say it matters on how you approach the competency or would you say the story? Or even if you say keywords that match their decision could maybe offer points towards score? Hmm

Sounds rough alright, but obviously it's do-able. Would you say it matters on how you approach the competency or would you say the story? Or even if you say keywords that match their decision could maybe offer points towards score? Hmm

Of course it matters.

Begin at the start, finish at the end. Clear, detailed, and concise.

Use the S.T.A.R method:

Situation
    Task
    Action
    Result

Forget about keywords, and prove to them that you have the skills needed to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Danmarger

Hi all my OOM is 1600+ and was wondering how far are along are they in offering interview dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

Just a quick question for anyone here familiar with the interview........is it possible to bring up 'personal' issues when responding (relating to resilience, for example)? I have a lot of experience working with disadvantaged youth and training local soccer and GAA teams, so I'm sure that I'm in a decent position anyway. But within the past two/three years, my father (after becoming unemployed and getting a drink driving conviction) fell into a very serious spiral of depression and alcoholism. I effectively called to him on a daily basis for nine months (he lives a fair bit away), helped him get into volunteering in his community, and managed to convince him to take up AA meetings (he's sober now thank god).

• Advertisement

Just a quick question for anyone here familiar with the interview........is it possible to bring up 'personal' issues when responding (relating to resilience, for example)? I have a lot of experience working with disadvantaged youth and training local soccer and GAA teams, so I'm sure that I'm in a decent position anyway. But within the past two/three years, my father (after becoming unemployed and getting a drink driving conviction) fell into a very serious spiral of depression and alcoholism. I effectively called to him on a daily basis for nine months (he lives a fair bit away), helped him get into volunteering in his community, and managed to convince him to take up AA meetings (he's sober now thank god).

That's your interpersonal skills competancy covered right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SinB

Hi guys!
    I'm sending my interview form at the minute, I had trouble with the file, had to download it, save to my computer etc to open it. So I sent the application to myself before sending it to gardatrainee and it came up the "please wait" form again, will they know to download it? It says it has to be a pdf file!
    Any help would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance!

SinB wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    I'm sending my interview form at the minute, I had trouble with the file, had to download it, save to my computer etc to open it. So I sent the application to myself before sending it to gardatrainee and it came up the "please wait" form again, will they know to download it? It says it has to be a pdf file!
    Thanks in advance!

Google search "Adobe pdf download offline version" and download that and run it. It'll run perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JustCaff

Shouldn't see how that would be a problem, the only thing is, they might ask you for examples based on your interview application form that you've submitted. My best advice would be to stick with the info you've submitted. That is the only info they have to go on. Hope this helps in someway

Hi Folks,

For those of you who have passed the interview, how long were you waiting for the results? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Meath95

Hi, I sent in my interview form today by email to public jobs and I'm just wondering should I receive an email from them telling me that they received it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

Hi Folks,

For those of you who have passed the interview, how long were you waiting for the results? Cheers.

Just under two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

Did We dress in 3 piece or 2 piece suits?

Did We dress in 3 piece or 2 piece suits?

Tuxedo ☺

Meath95 wrote: »
    Hi, I sent in my interview form today by email to public jobs and I'm just wondering should I receive an email from them telling me that they received it? Thanks

Yes, they'll email you acknowledging receipt of your application form. I got a confirmation email yesterday after submitting mine.The deadline for interview form submission was today so perhaps they were inundated with forms? Contact them tomorrow and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bazz1000

Any tips on what they might ask in interview. Ask about the college, garda promotion system. Name of commissioner etc.
    What would be proper dress code for interviews

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

SinB wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    Thanks in advance!

That form and trying to download and send it broke my heart!! Hahaha. All sent now amd im fairly sure it will display to them as "please wait". Im hoping they will be able to open it. I didnt get a confirmation email yet though. How are people feeling about the interview?!

should i put down my old school principle from 2nd level or a college ref? id imagine the lecturers have forgotten me at this stage??

also do i need postcodes for all relatives for form b?

also do i need postcodes for all relatives for form b?
    Put down as much information as possible in order to make the vetting as straight forward as possible. From speaking with others on here, the vetting seems to be the biggest cause of delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Theflycatcher

So that's my interview done and dusted(not specifying what day), hard to know how I done or how I came across. Found myself sounding a bit wishy washy and general at times, even though I had my competencies well rehearsed, and am well past 30 so have quiet a bit of experience. Just have to wait and see now....

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

So that's my interview done and dusted(not specifying what day), hard to know how I done or how I came across. Found myself sounding a bit wishy washy and general at times, even though I had my competencies well rehearsed, and am well past 30 so have quiet a bit of experience. Just have to wait and see now....

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Meath95

Yes, they'll email you acknowledging receipt of your application form. I got a confirmation email yesterday after submitting mine.The deadline for interview form submission was today so perhaps they were inundated with forms? Contact them tomorrow and see.
    I got a confirmation email this morning! Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

Best of luck to everyone going forward to be Gardai.
    We need the best and brightest in the force.
    This is more than just a job.
    It is a vocation and it is no exaggeration or BS to say you will be the last line of defence between civilisation and out and out anarchy.

Please help.... What are the phases of the training which I know to be 104 weeks,????

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Theflycatcher

Please help.... What are the phases of the training which I know to be 104 weeks,????
    34 weeks of training in Templemore, followed by 34 weeks of on the job training out in a selected Garda station. Another year of probation after that assigned to a station with selected periods of tuition in Templemore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement