Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

dandi2k8 wrote: »
    Ah I'm sure you did great I have my interview next Monday.. so nervous.. I see your from Galway can I ask where you stayed or did you travel on the day? I'm travelling from Donegal and looking for a hotel as close as I can get to the building to avoid me getting lost! I travelled for stage 2 on the day last time with a friend who knew dublin but I'm attempting Monday solo!
    Travelled up on the day. Jurys Inn on Parnell Street would be handy for you. It's at the top of O'Connell Street and only short walk to the Public Jobs office.

https://www.jurysinns.com/hotels/dublin/parnell-street?tmad=c&tmcampid=38&tmplaceref=e&tmclickref=jurys inn parnell&gclid=CML7kLi-w88CFWEz0wodnHwGMA&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dandi2k8

Ah thank you..did they ask you about joining the reserves? Any particular challenging questions?

Ah thank you..did they ask you about joining the reserves? Any particular challenging questions?
    Yes to both questions. I applied for the Reserves in 2013. Perfectly OK if you have not - just have a reason why.
    I had done plenty of prep for the interview but I wasn't asked about most of topics I had covered. They might ask a few random questions to see how you cope under pressure. If you do your prep, you will be fine. They're not setting out to trip people up. Take your time, be clear and confident in your answers.

I worked my ass off in preparation for yesterday and I still feel I may not have done enough. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Give it your best shot. That's all any of us can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CuriousLady

Yes to both questions. I applied for the Reserves in 2013. Perfectly OK if you have not - just have a reason why.
    I had done plenty of prep for the interview but I wasn't asked about most of topics I had covered. They might ask a few random questions to see how you cope under pressure. If you do your prep, you will be fine. They're not setting out to trip people up. Take your time, be clear and confident in your answers.

I worked my ass off in preparation for yesterday and I still feel I may not have done enough. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Give it your best shot. That's all any of us can do.

Do they cover all your competencys? What do they zone in on ur interview form ? I have mine today !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bazz1000

Had my interview yesterday and must say I am very happy with my performance. Answered everything as well as I hoped. Got caught on one question but that's ok. Held the nerves as the panel being nice was helpful. Know your competencies,
    And have a answer for not joining garda reserve. Was thrown a curve ball about time management under pressure and if Amy problems what did I do to rectify it, thankfully my current job had plenty of examples.
    Just keep the head and relax as they want you to do well.
    And remember, USE THE WATER ON THE TABLE, TAKE A SUP WHILE YOU THINK OF AN APPROPRIATE ANSWER!!!
    BEST of luck all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭AudiKidd

Had my interview yesterday. Mixed feelings leaving it. Felt I answered their questions sufficiently but I will always feel I could have done better - such is the nature of an interview I guess. It was 40 mins but the time absolutely flew. Know your application form inside and out. I was asked questions on each and every section. Nerves came through at times but I'm sure they allow for this. Panel were firm but fair. They have a timeline they need to stick to.
    Your Form B needs to be 1,000,000% accurate. I forgot a post code on one relatives address and I had a typo in the DOB for another. This has already caused a delay in my vetting process so make sure your Form B is spotless. I have to re-submit the required information to them online but you only have 7 days to do this.
    Fingers crossed I did enough to make it to the next stage. Best of luck to those yet to do the interview.
    Now to play the waiting game! :)

Well done greasy.

Hopefully you get good news.

Do they cover all your competencys? What do they zone in on ur interview form ? I have mine today !!!
    Yes they will ask you questions on all competencies. They asked me about everything on my form. I was surprised about that but if you know your form, you will be fine. Good luck today!

AudiKidd wrote: »
    Had my interview yesterday. Mixed feelings leaving it. Felt I answered their questions sufficiently but I will always feel I could have done better - such is the nature of an interview I guess. It was 40 mins but the time absolutely flew. Know your application form inside and out. I was asked questions on each and every section. Nerves came through at times but I'm sure they allow for this. Panel were firm but fair. They have a timeline they need to stick to.
    Your Form B needs to be 1,000,000% accurate. I forgot a post code on one relatives address and I had a typo in the DOB for another. This has already caused a delay in my vetting process so make sure your Form B is spotless. I have to re-submit the required information to them online but you only have 7 days to do this.
    Fingers crossed I did enough to make it to the next stage. Best of luck to those yet to do the interview.

Well done greasy.

Hopefully you get good news.
    Cheers bud

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Theflycatcher

Did you hear about the mix ups on your Form B that quick, I passed my interview 3 weeks ago and have only just met the local sergeant. Is hearing nothing from the vetting a good thing I wonder???

Did you hear about the mix ups on your Form B that quick, I passed my interview 3 weeks ago and have only just met the local sergeant. Is hearing nothing from the vetting a good thing I wonder???
    Vetting can take quite a while so it really doesn't matter if you haven't heard anything. Some people will have vetting cleared sooner than others. In my own case, I have family in the US and Canada. I have lived in the US and the UK too. All of this means my vetting will likely take longer to clear. The lady I spoke with yesterday informed me that there are people on the panel who have been waiting almost a year for their vetting to clear. Give them time to get it done. They are experiencing delays with UK background checks in particular. My Form B was reviewed at the offices yesterday and I was immediately made aware that some extra information was required.

I'm continuing to work on my fitness while waiting for a result from the interview. I figure the best thing to do is to continue to prepare as though you could be called to the next stage at any time. The vetting will take care of itself. I got the impression they are working flat-out to try and clear as many people as possible, as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

They prob told her/him about the mix up on day of interview when the HR team go through it.

Apologies for all the long winded posts today. Didn't sleep a wink last night. Needed to get all of this out of my system :)

They prob told her/him about the mix up on day of interview when the HR team go through it.
    The sergeant I met today pretty much told me he was doing all the vetting for me, so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

I feel the exact same!! Had my interview at 9am this morning. A lady briefed me outside and told me who was on the board etc.. and to talk directly to the person asking the question. There was so much more I had prepped for and wanted to say. I hope I did enough. Obviously I knew it was competency based but didnt think they would be asked as directly as I was. They each told me what competency they would be questioning me on, and then gave me a brief outline of what they expected in the answer. The lady doing judgement and decision making was poking me loads but I think the others were ok. The inspector asked me about resilience and motivation to be a garda. Nothing really asked about my supplementary info which I was disappointed with but such is the nature of a 40 min interview. Best of luck to everyone doing it and feel free to ask any questions if ye like :)

The sergeant I met today pretty much told me he was doing all the vetting for me, so fingers crossed.

When did u get the call? When she the super meeting?
    Vetting is the key, we will sail through med and physical.

When did u get the call? When she the super meeting?
    Vetting is the key, we will sail through med and physical.
    Literally got the call at about 10 this morning and i happened to be on annual leave so I arranged to pop in at 12:30. Should be meeting the Superintendent early next week. I mentioned the vetting and he said he'd had a look and "your grand." Not sure if he meant just me or all my vetting...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

Hi did you do your interview then get a call from sargeant?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

Hi when do you meet the sargeant and super is it after the interview or medical

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

Hi when do you meet the sargeant and super is it after the interview or medical

Can be after either I met mine after my medical but others before they did it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Topman101

Hi folks
    Quick question for the form b. The section for filling out your aunts and uncles occupations. Do you just put in what they do?
    Example say one aunt is a retail assistant would that be enough or would you put down if it was in dunnes or tesco aswell?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Topman101 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Quick question for the form b. The section for filling out your aunts and uncles occupations. Do you just put in what they do?
    Example say one aunt is a retail assistant would that be enough or would you put down if it was in dunnes or tesco aswell?

Thanks

Retail assistant is fine they don't need that much detail.:pac:

Hi did you do your interview then get a call from sargeant?
    About three weeks after I passed my interview. Haven't got a date for my medical yet

About three weeks after I passed my interview. Haven't got a date for my medical yet

How long where u waiting for interview results ? I done mine today they said I should hear ny start Nov !

How long where u waiting for interview results ? I done mine today they said I should hear ny start Nov !
    I was waiting about a week and a half untill I got mine, but I was at the end of my particular interview schedule, so they hadnt many thanks do after me. You'll be waiting no longer than 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PoorAuldDivil

Hello everyone........I have my interview in a couple of weeks, and was wondering could someone help me with something. The competency areas....is there some form that these have to be filled in in, or are you just asked them on the day? I didn't notice any section of them in Form B.

Hello everyone........I have my interview in a couple of weeks, and was wondering could someone help me with something. The competency areas....is there some form that these have to be filled in in, or are you just asked them on the day? I didn't notice any section of them in Form B.

You are just asked them on the day. They ask you to demonstrate a time when you have best used your interpersonal skills, a time when you displayed resilience, what is your motivation to being a guard, judgement and decision making and delievery of results.

I done a prep interview with career service I would 100% recommend to be honest I felt really well prepared like I knew my answers as they were asking the questions. It made me less nervous on the day and more confident.

They also asked me a few questions like what's the biggest dissapointment I've had to deal wig to date, how do I handle a set back etc.

The time flies once you have your answers set out in your mind I suggest writing them out so u see how clear they are, you don't want to look wishy washy. . Best of luck ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭air assault

any one else here up around the 900's waiting to hear about a medical. The waiting is killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JustCaff

any one else here up around the 900's waiting to hear about a medical. The waiting is killing me

In the 800s myself, haven't heard anything yet. It'll come around yet, use the time wisely to prepare in the meanwhile :)

Hi can I ask if you have previously been garda vetted would this speed up your vetting process?

• Advertisement

Hi can I ask if you have previously been garda vetted would this speed up your vetting process?
    It's hard to know, I've been Garda vetted for my gun licences, but I don't know if that counts for you family background checks.

Those of you waiting for medical when did you do your interviews ? This next 3 weeks is a killer. Waiting for results ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Meath95

In relation to form B when filling out family details do you include your parents brothers/ sisters in law or just your parents brothers/sisters?

Meath95 wrote: »
    In relation to form B when filling out family details do you include your parents brothers/ sisters in law or just your parents brothers/sisters?

Just blood relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭the galway secret

Hi just wondering are we supposed to have proof of college results and if so will a print out of the official results do?

Hi just wondering are we supposed to have proof of college results and if so will a print out of the official results do?

I brought copies of transcripts for Degree and Masters. I was told they didn't need them when the lady up there was reviewing my paperwork. They were more interested in my Leaving Cert :rolleyes:

I brought them just in case. Better to have them and not need them etc. etc. Also, I only brought them as I had them to hand from previous job applications. I didn't order them off the colleges I studied in specifically for Stage 3.

• Advertisement

cool thanks. Also filling in form B none of the address fit in properly anyone else have this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tri83

Make sure you put all your lines of your address under each other because wen u print them out they will be all over lapping. It happened to me and I had to go and re type them and re print the whole thing again.

Oh really? Just your own address or all the addresses of family members as wel? Isn't really room?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tri83

Pm sent

Do you shake all the panels hands when you enter or just sit down?Im new to this interview craic :/

• Advertisement

Do you shake all the panels hands when you enter or just sit down?Im new to this interview craic :/
    They all stand up to shake your hand as they're being introduced....

Hiya.. for my references I have employer,old teacher and a guard but for my other one could I use my old neighbour who I lived beside for 24years or should i find another one?

Hiya.. for my references I have employer,old teacher and a guard but for my other one could I use my old neighbour who I lived beside for 24years or should i find another one?

Did u ever do any community work ? We're u in a scouts club/summer project or any after school activity that u could get someone to reference for you? I used a family friend who I done work experience for years ago from school she owns a buisness. Something more official than a neighbour they are just a few ideas.. best of luck with ur interview !

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sparky_7

Lads for the Form B do deceased GrandParents and Aunts/Uncles have to be included too?

Thank you, I must try find someone else. my issue is I work alone and only interact with my manager so cant use colleague's and in relation to my volunteer work it's all over the place and not working with any one person consistently for 5 years :/ I was a marshal at a few adventure races this last 2 years and I voulnteer as a big sister in local youth club on and off for this last 3years then my local priest has been changed 3 times in last 5 years also so that's a no go aswel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭AudiKidd

Sparky_7 wrote: »
    Lads for the Form B do deceased GrandParents and Aunts/Uncles have to be included too?

Yes

Thank you, I must try find someone else. my issue is I work alone and only interact with my manager so cant use colleague's and in relation to my volunteer work it's all over the place and not working with any one person consistently for 5 years :/ I was a marshal at a few adventure races this last 2 years and I voulnteer as a big sister in local youth club on and off for this last 3years then my local priest has been changed 3 times in last 5 years also so that's a no go aswel

As far as I know even if u knew them say 8 years ago and worked together fr a year or so that counts I don't think u need to have been consistently with them for the past 5 years? It's a tricky one tho. I think it's more aimed at people in extra activities like I menioned. I didn't have any so that why I used the family friend.. when is ur interview ?

To be honest, that's as good as anything I had and I passed. Just practice getting those points across in the competencies

Cheers guys.. interview is on the 17th..I'll be a bag of nerves!

When you get your results is there a breakdown of how you scored or simply if you're successful or unsuccessful?

• Advertisement
Advertisement