Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

For the interview is there any scoring criteria outlined in the familiarisation material?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭killer91

Hi lads, what's the story with the references on the Form B?

I'm a long time out of school, doubt many of the teachers would remember me😠and it says I need an educational reference.

Also in my current job more than five years but don't want them know about the application, so who else do I get for my other two references?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eeeuuuhhh5

What sort of prep work have people done before there interviews have mine mid December and need to start preparing now

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Capricorn19

Hi,

I did the interview back in Oct and failed it from the January campaign, I did apply in the sept campaign for a back up which i am now using I did stage two back mid nov and still waiting results but I am 95% confident I passed it. I am looking for the competencies they are using from the sept campaign to see if there is any difference from the two campaigns so i can prepare early and pass it this time around! Thank you :)

killer91 wrote: »
    Hi lads, what's the story with the references on the Form B?

I'm a long time out of school, doubt many of the teachers would remember me😠and it says I need an educational reference.

Also in my current job more than five years but don't want them know about the application, so who else do I get for my other two references?

If you have employment you need to get a reference from them otherwise it will slow up your application if you don't get it from them. They ring everyone that you give for your references so they will know!

• Advertisement

If you have employment you need to get a reference from them otherwise it will slow up your application if you don't get it from them. They ring everyone that you give for your references so they will know!

It's just I didn't want to tell my current workplace about applying for this in case I wasn't successful.

When do they contact the references, is it after you pass the interview or after you pass all stages?

killer91 wrote: »
    It's just I didn't want to tell my current workplace about applying for this in case I wasn't successful.

When do they contact the references, is it after you pass the interview or after you pass all stages?

They contact once you pass the interview. It's normally the local super/sergeant who contacts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

A friend of mine said he got written references off them and brought them with his form B on the day instead of just putting down their contact details, anyone else ever heard of this like can it be done?

A friend of mine said he got written references off them and brought them with his form B on the day instead of just putting down their contact details, anyone else ever heard of this like can it be done?

I don't think that can be done it might slow down his application because they might ask for those details if they are missing off the forrm, I did get written ones from the people but i still put down there contact details on form B.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SOM2016

My only employment history is working for my Uncles business for quite a long period of time..
    However, it says that I cannot have a reference from him on my form B even though he is my only employer ever. What would be the best option for me to do, stick him down or not?

• Advertisement

SOM2016 wrote: »
    My only employment history is working for my Uncles business for quite a long period of time..
    However, it says that I cannot have a reference from him on my form B even though he is my only employer ever. What would be the best option for me to do, stick him down or not?

Im in the same position pretty much, been with the one employer since I started working. I think it says if you dont have other employers just give two people who have known you for 5 years or more instead

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SOM2016

Im in the same position pretty much, been with the one employer since I started working. I think it says if you dont have other employers just give two people who have known you for 5 years or more instead

That's all there's left to do really.. don't wanna risk being thrown out of competition with my interview coming up..

SOM2016 wrote: »

That's an awkward situation, if it was me I'd put down your uncle and get two other aswell and just explain it to the person who goes through the form with you on the day! or you could ring pas and ask what would be the best thing to do?.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AiB123

I don't think that can be done it might slow down his application because they might ask for those details if they are missing off the forrm, I did get written ones from the people but i still put down there contact details on form B.

Can I ask did you bring written references for all sections in form B or just some? Thanks!!

AiB123 wrote: »
    Can I ask did you bring written references for all sections in form B or just some? Thanks!!

I only got 3, the academic and the two general ones didn't get a written one from a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kinsellacoon93

Well lads I'm number 478 on the order of merit for stage 3...I'm just wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to when I could be called down for interview. I'm in college now so if I could get an idea it would make things a lot easier to organise myself! Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Hi guys. Just wondering if someone could advise me. If we are successful and pass interview does our OOM change much or stay the same. I have a reasonably good OOM but worried it could move back by hundreds after interview even if I pass??? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vodkacz

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding preparation for stage 3 from career services. I attended that course last Saturday but somehow have ambivalent feelings about it, as not enough examples were given? Anyone here prepared for stage 3 through career services and could share his/her experience with them?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 howarethings30

I used that course provider for stages 1 and 2 but wont be for stage 3.My friend did that course as he did for last campaign for stage 3 and he said it was the exact same.Whether its true or false Ive heard interview boards are wise to these course providers,maybe too many people attending interview with same approach,I dont know.

vodkacz wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a question regarding preparation for stage 3 from career services. I attended that course last Saturday but somehow have ambivalent feelings about it, as not enough examples were given? Anyone here prepared for stage 3 through career services and could share his/her experience with them?

I used their services for stage 1 & 2 and thought they were fantastic!

I didn't do a stage 3 course with them as I personally felt that if you're in a room with several people receiving a lecture there's a limit as to what you can achieve/learn with regards to preparing for an interview.
    As part of the stage 1/2 prep course I gained access to their interview preparation booklet which I thought was sufficient to assist with my own preparations.

I do plan on doing a 1 to 1 session with a retired superintendent in the coming weeks as I feel this would be slightly more beneficial.

Did they do any 1 to 1 tuition on the day or review anybodys competencies?

• Advertisement

Also if anyone has personal experience with Peadar O'Toole in Sligo I'd love to hear your feedback

So are ye all getting written references or just putting down phone numbers? Also whats the first and last date of interviews does anyone know?

Anybody do their interview today? If so, how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vodkacz

Are you trying to say that it is basically waste of time and money trying to prepare for the interview with careerservices? I wish they did one-to-one though. Oh well, if I fail I shall try again next time ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 GenericUser1

Hi All,
    Could anyone share with interview preparation material from one of the preparation courses? I'd really appreciate it, interview next week and I'm starting to worry big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Hi All,
    Could anyone share with interview preparation material from one of the preparation courses? I'd really appreciate it, interview next week and I'm starting to worry big time.

Don't think you are allowed share it. You'd be better off sharing your concerns on here and seeing if any users can help you out. It's natural to be worried about it BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

O.k thanks for your reply, what I should have said was what voluntary work if any did you guys do. I'm not sure to do some and if I decided to I don't know what kind. I'm wanting to do something that would help me with the interview. And give me something to talk about in the competences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Would someone mind answering me either publicly or via PM the following question? :)

What exactly do we need to have with us in the interview? Bar of course the Form B and the Passport Photo at the top.

LC results? References? Educational Certs? Birth Certs?

I have a feeling I'm after missing something!

Thanks very much lads and lassies and best of luck.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Would someone mind answering me either publicly or via PM the following question? :)

What exactly do we need to have with us in the interview? Bar of course the Form B and the Passport Photo at the top.

LC results? References? Educational Certs? Birth Certs?

I have a feeling I'm after missing something!

Thanks very much lads and lassies and best of luck.

Regards

Don't know if you've had a reply but here goes.

*Form B completed on a computer, printed out and unsigned.

*Long version of Birth Cert

*Leaving Cert and any other education certs that your application has referenced or that you rely on.

*Photo ID i.e Passport/Driving Licence.

Best of Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Don't know if you've had a reply but here goes.

*Form B completed on a computer, printed out and unsigned.

*Long version of Birth Cert

*Leaving Cert and any other education certs that your application has referenced or that you rely on.

*Photo ID i.e Passport/Driving Licence.

Best of Luck.

Thanks Galway....I like double checking!

Advertisement