Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AiB123

Interview over - you have no idea coming out how it went! Well I didn't anyway! Awful fear I messed up on a job simulation question!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

AiB123 wrote: »
    Interview over - you have no idea coming out how it went! Well I didn't anyway! Awful fear I messed up on a job simulation question!

What was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AiB123

What was that?

To do with how you'd deliver bad news to a family!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 GenericUser1

How do I display the competency "Motivation to be a Garda", I'm very unsure what this means?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

How do I display the competency "Motivation to be a Garda", I'm very unsure what this means?

Highlight your reasons for wanting to join AGS. Was there a particular point or reason in your life that made you full sure that it was a vocation you wished to pursue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

So my own experience when I was in 6th class and we had a visit from a Garda, she spoke about the job showed us her kit, and brought us into the station for a visit, from then on that is when I decided I wanted to join, as I got older then I got to research more about the job, would this be sufficient for that competence I was not sure if this is good enough but that's how it happened for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

To those of you whove been up for the interview so far, did ye bring a bag up with ye or see anyone else with one? Im travelling a fair bit so could do with bringing one but dont want to look out of place or be dragging it around the building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

To those of you whove been up for the interview so far, did ye bring a bag up with ye or see anyone else with one? Im travelling a fair bit so could do with bringing one but dont want to look out of place or be dragging it around the building

No bother bringing a bag with you. There's a designated waiting area so you can leave it there. In such a fluster was I to get in I left my phone on the waiting area chair before I went in. Still there when I came back!!

Hi Guys. Long shot but just wondered if anyone had any experience of the laser surgery in the Galway clinic?

No bother bringing a bag with you. There's a designated waiting area so you can leave it there. In such a fluster was I to get in I left my phone on the waiting area chair before I went in. Still there when I came back!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 adam kearney

Hi Guys
    Just wondering anyone who's done the interview in the past week how it went and any info would be great ?
    I placed 550 and am just waiting to be called for the interview but already starting to panic haha.
    Just wondering what it was like ? also would the fact im not in the reserves have much of an impact on my chances ??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Hi Guys
    Just wondering anyone who's done the interview in the past week how it went and any info would be great ?
    I placed 550 and am just waiting to be called for the interview but already starting to panic haha.
    Just wondering what it was like ? also would the fact im not in the reserves have much of an impact on my chances ??

Thanks

Its fine, takes about 40 minutes, just be prepared and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Memo_54

Hey I am just wondering if anyone who did the interview got any indication as to when we will be getting results? The wait is definitely the worst part!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vodkacz

I was told they may Deliver the Results ;) before Xmas. If not, first week of January. Gud Luk!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Memo_54

vodkacz wrote: »
    I was told they may Deliver the Results ;) before Xmas. If not, first week of January. Gud Luk!

That would be brilliant! Thanks a mill. :) You too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daniel12321

Hi, what did people wear when visiting the superintendent?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Hi, what did people wear when visiting the superintendent?

A suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daniel12321

Ya I was thinking that!! I'll be going straight from work, better put a suit in the car. Thanks

For those who have previously completed the interview before.

How do they phrase the questions surrounding ''motivation to be a garda''?

Is it a straight out question i.e. ''Why do you want to become a Garda'' or more of a roundabout way such as ''give me an example of an experience that made you want to become a garda'' ?

Any advice is very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gerrard2121

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    For those who have previously completed the interview before.

How do they phrase the questions surrounding ''motivation to be a garda''?

Is it a straight out question i.e. ''Why do you want to become a Garda'' or more of a roundabout way such as ''give me an example of an experience that made you want to become a garda'' ?

Any advice is very much appreciated

I was just asked what made me decide that I wanted to join the guards ?

• Advertisement

I was just asked what made me decide that I wanted to join the guards ?

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it!

I've another question in relation to the phrasing of questions. I've 2-3 examples for each competency prepared. I'm just wondering how they approach the question, for example ''Give us an example of when you showed resilience'' or ''Give us an example of when you showed resilience in your professional experience'' or ''Give us an example of resilience when working at X company'' ?

I've heard different things and understand each interview panel can vary.

Guys this is probably a silly question but what exactly is resilience. I don't know what examples to give for this. Thanks I advance.

vardy98 wrote: »
    Guys this is probably a silly question but what exactly is resilience. I don't know what examples to give for this. Thanks I advance.

Definition: The capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness

effectively how you powered through a hard time in your life or how you overcame a difficult situation or managed to succeed despite a difficult situation.

Hi guys what exactly is the competence, delivery of results, is this how you answer the other competences or does it mean something else, thanks in advance.

Hi guys what exactly is the competence, delivery of results, is this how you answer the other competences or does it mean something else, thanks in advance.

No it's not in relation to answering the other competency's.

In previous campaigns I believe that competency was referred to as ''Personal effectiveness and delivery of results''.
    Possibly bear that in mind.

You'll be asked for an example of a time where you demonstrated your ability to deliver results; e.g. this could be a work project that you excelled in or else possibly even a sporting achievement.

Remember, It's about your actions, not the actions of a team. It's about how you personally worked hard, delivered a high quality of work and succeeded.

Thanks for the reply MrBlack93, so personal effectiveness and delivery of results are the same thing, so what are the 5 competences exactly
    Motivation to be a Garda, is one
    Resilience
    Interpersonal skills
    ?
    ?
    What's the other two, is it the other two I mentioned above?

Thanks for the reply MrBlack93, so personal effectiveness and delivery of results are the same thing, so what are the 5 competences exactly
    Motivation to be a Garda, is one
    Resilience
    Interpersonal skills
    ?
    ?
    What's the other two, is it the other two I mentioned above?

These are the 5 competencys;

Interpersonal Skills
    Resilience
    Motivation to be a Garda
    Judgement and Decision Making
    Delivery of Results

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gerrard2121

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it!

I've another question in relation to the phrasing of questions. I've 2-3 examples for each competency prepared. I'm just wondering how they approach the question, for example ''Give us an example of when you showed resilience'' or ''Give us an example of when you showed resilience in your professional experience'' or ''Give us an example of resilience when working at X company'' ?

I've heard different things and understand each interview panel can vary.

To be quite honest I think you'll be fine if you have 2-3 examples for each. I think I was asked to give an example of when I had to be resilient when working in a specific job.. there all pretty straight forward their not there to catch you out.. the time will fly too!

Thanks again MrBlack93, that was a great help.ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

To be quite honest I think you'll be fine if you have 2-3 examples for each. I think I was asked to give an example of when I had to be resilient when working in a specific job.. there all pretty straight forward their not there to catch you out.. the time will fly too!

Balls, I know they're not trying to catch you out but it's specifics like that that i'm scared of ha.

Doing a 1 to 1 prep course in 2 weeks so hopefully that'll set me straight

Advertisement