Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

For the Uncle and Aunt details, is there any way you can get their date of birth and address without directly asking them. I mean I have a uncle that I have never spoken to and it would be awkward having to ring him up to ask those personal details!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle06

ganthy wrote: »
    For the Uncle and Aunt details, is there any way you can get their date of birth and address without directly asking them. I mean I have a uncle that I have never spoken to and it would be awkward having to ring him up to ask those personal details!

What form is this? Is this after your interview?

Doyle06 wrote: »
    I thought you have to fill in a form with all the details about your parents, aunts and uncles. Not sure if thats before or after interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

I thought you have to fill in a form with all the details about your parents, aunts and uncles. Not sure if thats before or after interview.

When you send your interview form back to public jobs, a few days later they will send you an interview date and a Form B, which is the form you include your family, education, addresses, references etc. This form must be completed and brought with you on the day of your interview. :)

VicMack wrote: »
    When you send your interview form back to public jobs, a few days later they will send you an interview date and a Form B, which is the form you include your family, education, addresses, references etc. This form must be completed and brought with you on the day of your interview. :)
    So what if you are too reluctant to get the details of a uncle that you barely know. Do they expect you to just ring him and ask or is there a way I could get the address and date of birth of him without asking him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BearClock1901

Silly Question Coming Up...

Just started filling the Interview form. Education section it asks for Date, Subjects taken, Grade, Uni attended and ''Full address at which you resided''.....

Full address at which you resided means where I lived in college or the address of the college??

And.. if 'resided' means where I lived. is it just the address for the date i obtained the degree or all my 5 various student houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle06

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Bearclock1901...I'm assuming that's the 5 addresses of your student accommodation as I'm thinking this will all come down to your placement.

Ganthy...your local parish would have files if your uncle lives local, or many library hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vivikins

Silly Question Coming Up...

Just started filling the Interview form. Education section it asks for Date, Subjects taken, Grade, Uni attended and ''Full address at which you resided''.....

Full address at which you resided means where I lived in college or the address of the college??

And.. if 'resided' means where I lived. is it just the address for the date i obtained the degree or all my 5 various student houses?

I'd put in all of the addresses, they'll be vetting under any address you had, so if you lived in 5 different addresses during your degree I'd put them all in to be safe!

For your form b are people attaching their pic or do you think they'll take one of you there?

• Advertisement

vivikins wrote: »
    For your form b are people attaching their pic or do you think they'll take one of you there?

Never mind! Read the instructionsðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 10 topman1945

Hi guys! is anyone else having trouble opening the interview form?

This is what pops up when I try to open up the form:

"Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
    viewer may not be able to display this type of document"

My pdf viewer is up to date, anyone else encounter this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭danjob1987

topman1945 wrote: »
    Hi guys! is anyone else having trouble opening the interview form?

This is what pops up when I try to open up the form:

"Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
    viewer may not be able to display this type of document"

My pdf viewer is up to date, anyone else encounter this problem?

I had this issue, save that file to your desktop, open up adobe Reader and then open the saved file from the desktop. It worked for me then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

VW73 wrote: »
    Bearclock1901...I'm assuming that's the 5 addresses of your student accommodation as I'm thinking this will all come down to your placement.

Ganthy...your local parish would have files if your uncle lives local, or many library hope you get sorted.

What VW73 said. Plus your local registry office. Some of the genealogy websites are great for information too.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

AudiKid wrote: »
    I had my Interview today, and I'm happy with how it went.

The Interview board were nice, and the interview wasn't as intimidating as I expected.

I just hope that I passed now!!!

Congrats! give it a week and you will think you done the worst interview known to man :p
    Push it out of your head now on to the fitness!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

RedmondHR wrote: »
    Congrats! give it a week and you will think you done the worst interview known to man :p
    Push it out of your head now on to the fitness!

Thanks bud, I'm beginning to doubt myself already!! I won't believe anything until I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coffeeguzzler

Hi!
    New here. I've got my date for the interview and am currently filling in this damn Interview Form.

Does anyone have any tips?

Much appriciated

Hi!
    New here. I've got my date for the interview and am currently filling in this damn Interview Form.

Does anyone have any tips?

Much appriciated

My advice is, fill it in truthfully. Include any courses you never finished, and times you were unemployed.

Use lots of key words when filling in your work experience, and mention all the skills that you have, and showed while at that job.

For your achievements, think long and hard, because even a small achievement can be a big deal. Mention how they are relevant to the Gardai also.

For voluntary, and community work, mention every club, team, sport your ever played with it for, and your role, and the relevance to the Gardai. Along with any fundraising you did, or events that you went to using your own time.

Sell yourself on the form. This will be your first impression. They will read all this before they even meet you.

Be able to back up everything on the form, and most importantly don't lie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 navanlad

How long was everyone waiting for their results of stage 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 smg17

navanlad wrote: »
    How long was everyone waiting for their results of stage 2?

I asked this yesterday. .no replies.. (awwhhhh sad face).
    I did the stage 2 five weeks this week, still haven't heard anything. I haven't seen any comments regarding how long people were waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jimboland80

Hello to everyone,

I feel like I'm having a bit of a stupid evening here -- where does it ask for compentencies on the IV form? Section A deals with qualifications and employment, Section B details community work / achievements.

Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jimboland80

There is 5 of them.

Motivation to be a Garda
    Resilience
    Delivery of Results
    Interpersonal Skills
    Judgment and Decision Making

Hello

Can you please tell me where this list is formally provided by Public Jobs? I cannot find it in any material that I have to date.

Thanks for your help

Hello to everyone,

I feel like I'm having a bit of a stupid evening here -- where does it ask for compentencies on the IV form? Section A deals with qualifications and employment, Section B details community work / achievements.

Thanks for the help

It doesn't. Competencies are listed in the email sent out with your interview time and date.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Navanlad, i was waiting for 5 weeks for results, best of luck!

How are people finding the interviews?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 alanw249

Just want to check, Is Form B provided when I get my time and date for the interview?

I have gotten my form for my english + Irish Interview, Just waiting on dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AM11

I have mine this week. I'm getting nervous. Have you had yours Audikid?

alanw249 wrote: »
    Just want to check, Is Form B provided when I get my time and date for the interview?

I have gotten my form for my english + Irish Interview, Just waiting on dates!

Yes it is.

Start preparing now though. All your close family dates of birth etc, plus all your aunts, uncles, grandparents and your wife or partners dates of birth, and addresses etc.

AM11 wrote: »
    I have mine this week. I'm getting nervous. Have you had yours Audikid?

I have mine done and dusted.

Make sure you know all your competancies in detail, and know your stuff about the Gardai.

Try and get a mock interview too because it helps.

When you say know your competancies in detail, do you mean you need to know your examples in detail or will they ask questions about interpersonal skills etc?

• Advertisement

When you say know your competancies in detail, do you mean you need to know your examples in detail or will they ask questions about interpersonal skills etc?

When they ask you for an example of a time that you showed resilience, then be able to answer the question.

Have your competancy ready and know it inside out, and be able to answer the questions that you might be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭i-ron

Have two examples for each learned well. But also they will ask you about what you learned from your experience for each example. This is where I got stuck a few times. Be able to tell them what skills you developed or improved, and what you learned, I was asked for these quite a bit.
    For example, for judgement and decision making I was asked what decision making skill / skills did I feel I improved and what one do I feel like I could improve in future. I wasn't expecting that and it threw me off. Best of luck

i-ron wrote: »
    Have two examples for each learned well. But also they will ask you about what you learned from your experience for each example. This is where I got stuck a few times. Be able to tell them what skills you developed or improved, and what you learned, I was asked for these quite a bit.
    For example, for judgement and decision making I was asked what decision making skill / skills did I feel I improved and what one do I feel like I could improve in future. I wasn't expecting that and it threw me off. Best of luck

I wasn't asked anything like that. How do you think you did overall?

yeah i was surprised myself. It all depends which board your in front of and who you get i suppose. I feel i did ok, stumbled twice, forgot my resilience example (the one i was most confident of going into the interview with) but i gave two other examples and think i got away with it. Im hearing a lot of failed interview stories so i cant really tell how well/bad i did. How did you get on?

Do they give you any indication how you did in the interview?

i-ron wrote: »
    yeah i was surprised myself. It all depends which board your in front of and who you get i suppose. I feel i did ok, stumbled twice, forgot my resilience example (the one i was most confident of going into the interview with) but i gave two other examples and think i got away with it. Im hearing a lot of failed interview stories so i cant really tell how well/bad i did. How did you get on?

I felt I did well, but as time goes by I start overthinking. If I don't pass I'll be shocked, because I had no inclination that things were going bad.

I did fail the interview before, and that drove me on to do better this time.

I heard that there is a high pass rate, but plenty do still fail.

We will just have to wait and see.

Did they ask about the training in Templemore?

Did they ask about the training in Templemore?

I was asked about the training in Templemore. Handy to be able to talk about it.

Thats good to hear audikid, fingers crossed.
    Yes i was asked what my knowledge of the training was. Luckily ive read over it good few times. learn the time spent in templemore, the overall training schedule and the subjects you will be doing down there. They might also ask you which subject you might have difficulty with or find the hardest.

I was also asked about how I'd cope with the low salary.

Would also repeat what the others have said. Have at least two, if not three, scenarios prepared for each competency. I found myself flying through them. Felt like I hadn't hit the mark with one of them and was glad to be able to shore up one or two competencies with further examples.

Best of luck everyone!

• Advertisement

Thanks a million everyone. All/ any advice welcome :)

Thanks a million everyone. All/ any advice welcome :)

Call into your local Garda station, and ask them a few questions on what they do and local issues. You can always mention it in the interview. They will be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Laffs_a_lot

Did anybody else get an updated form b to fill out?

Did anybody else get an updated form b to fill out?

Yeah it's so annoying. Just copy and paste from the other form.

Interview over and done with but now for another long wait :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭danjob1987

Fair play on the interview today AM11, hope it went well. Anything stand out in it?

On filling in section A of the interview form on page 4 it says

"In the following section, please describe some of your personal achievements to date that demonstrate certain skills and abilities which have been identified as necessary, for the position of Garda Trainee."

There is no box underneath to fill in anything here just an empty space, anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 noelctb

Ya I was d same..just left it blank..if they say nythin just say that to them
    danjob1987 wrote: »
    Fair play on the interview today AM11, hope it went well. Anything stand out in it?

On filling in section A of the interview form on page 4 it says

"In the following section, please describe some of your personal achievements to date that demonstrate certain skills and abilities which have been identified as necessary, for the position of Garda Trainee."

There is no box underneath to fill in anything here just an empty space, anyone else have this issue?

Thanks danjob1987. I would say to have as many examples ready as possible. I had a few prepared but the panel asked me to give examples for specific jobs I've had, I didnt get to choose the example how I would have liked but thats about it. They did ask about the training in Templemore and if I could manage the pay etc and if I would have problems being stationed in Kerry or somewhere far from home.

In relation to the form, I had that issue too. There are boxes on the next page where it asks about volunteering etc. Thats what you fill out.

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 noelctb

How long of a wait for form b I wonder?

• Advertisement

I got my b form a few days after sending in the interview form. Sent in on a Monday or Tuesday and got the b form on the Friday.

Advertisement