Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MDF Drawers

Options
  • 24-03-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭

I have some veneered MDF 18-20mm spare and I want to make a couple of drawers out of it.
    I don't have a domino or biscuit joiner.
    I do have a dovetail jig and good router.

Would dovetail joints be ok in MDF?

I think I have some 9mm ply spare also which I can use for the base and was planning to rout a groove for that. Would MDF be ok for the groove?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Seve OB wrote: »
    I have some veneered MDF 18-20mm spare and I want to make a couple of drawers out of it.
    I don't have a domino or biscuit joiner.
    I do have a dovetail jig and good router.

Would dovetail joints be ok in MDF?

I think I have some 9mm ply spare also which I can use for the base and was planning to rout a groove for that. Would MDF be ok for the groove?

I wouldn't use MDF for drawer sides. I made a few units for the shed and curse them every day as they jam tight when the weather is damp. In any case, MDF is just not strong enough for dovetails. They might work indoors on metal runners but something like 12mm ply is a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

i'd cut mitres and glue/pin them. the 9mm ply would add stability

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Been ill so haven't got round to this project yet.

Regarding the mitres, would they not be a lot weaker than dovetails?

Been ill so haven't got round to this project yet.

Regarding the mitres, would they not be a lot weaker than dovetails?

Welcome back. Neither mitres or dovetails will work with MDF - the stuff just crumbles away when edges are machined.
    The best way to join MDF is the use the 'confirmat' system. You buy the special screws and the one off bit and just screw them together.Plenty of choice on #bay.Otherwise old fashioned wooden dowels are not a bad choice.
    MDF will hold a 9 mm ply bottom but machine the groove at least 15 mm up from the bottom edge or it will split from the weight of the drawer contents. I've been there......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

recipio wrote: »
    Welcome back. Neither mitres or dovetails will work with MDF - the stuff just crumbles away when edges are machined.
    The best way to join MDF is the use the 'confirmat' system. You buy the special screws and the one off bit and just screw them together.Plenty of choice on #bay.Otherwise old fashioned wooden dowels are not a bad choice.
    MDF will hold a 9 mm ply bottom but machine the groove at least 15 mm up from the bottom edge or it will split from the weight of the drawer contents. I've been there......:D

Thanks. I was going to go 10mm up so nice bit of advice there to go up further.

Still in my sick bed unfortunately but give me a chance to google confirmat now :)

• Advertisement

Thanks. I was going to go 10mm up so nice bit of advice there to go up further.

Still in my sick bed unfortunately but give me a chance to google confirmat now :)

Sorry to hear that.
    I have used the Confirmat system and it works a treat.Drawers get a lot of use and will fall apart unless properly made. The only other alternative is to glue in dowels and then ( when the glue is dry ) run in some ordinary 50 mm screws into the ends of the dowels.Its a bit more work and a little fussy to line the screw holes up exactly. The confirmat system works on ply and blockboard as well.

Advertisement