Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data from Facebook on desktop

Options
  • 24-03-2016 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I was wondering if i am logged into google account on my "work" desktop will my searches and FB come up on my work computer if am using say from my phone or tablet ?

IT guy said that data is being used on my desktop in work and i was wondering would my searchers and FB messages appear as data if am logged in on the work desktop?

Comments

If you are on the work network, even with your own tablet, if they are interested they can see all you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Providing you're set up on a network with a server login, all internet activity should be logged. This includes FB & Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

yea work computer is network computer, So if am in the office using my tablet and logged in with "Google Chrome" and browsing internet my desktop with same logged in with "Google Chrome" is picking up my searches :o , Yea the IT lad could tell me yesterday that i was using FB on my FB at lunch time , told him i was on lunch ??? We allowed FB so its no worries but i didnt know that having FB open on my desktop and using on my tablet the IT could pick up data from my desktop as a result of me being logged in on chrome/ Thats made what IT can see LOL

so pretty much if am logged in on my desktop on FB

but use my tablet my desktop FB is still sending data such as messages , likes etc as if i was using my desktop: Need to start logging out hahaha

Are you in work now? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Logging out won't make a difference, if your employer monitors all network traffic and you login, they could see the user visited Facebook or anything at a certain time. Can they see your google searches? Yes relatively easy for ones made on the work network, ones you made off network not without a bit of work (and potential privacy/legal issues there too)

Nick

IT said because my chrome account is on the desktop that is connected to the network when I use my tablet my searches or FB posts are showing up on my desktop as data , so my chrome from tablet is mirroring onto desktop. Very very strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

MrTom1 wrote: »
    IT said because my chrome account is on the desktop that is connected to the network when I use my tablet my searches or FB posts are showing up on my desktop as data , so my chrome from tablet is mirroring onto desktop. Very very strange

So, you're signed in to Chrome? You can choose what to sync (and to be honest, I wouldn't sign in to Chrome on your work machine!... where you see your name up the top right of the browser).

More here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MrTom1 wrote: »

Its not strange at all, its perfectly normal.

When in doubt don't use personal accounts in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Your IT guy is seeing whatever Google is syncing between the 2 machines. Even if you are not using FB or Whatever.com on your work PC, Google is pulling the internet history from your account. Its this history data that carries (your) internet sites, that flags up on IT monitoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

They would see the urls and some other data, but surely the main webpages containing the important data is encrypted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Its only the url's that the IT guys are seeing..

Was thinking that as well , so person logs in work computer, logs into google chrome then into facebook yahoomail and say Gmail. Leaves for his lunch and uses his personal tablet in canteen , same as above logs into a google chrome then into facebook yahoomail and say Gmail , IT have said persons computer is showing usage or data from sites mentioned . On review it's the tablet being used but as chrome is logged in on both systems it's duplicating searches and usage on desktop as if person is sitting there as well .😧😧😧 IT are gobsmacked at this discovery , I told them will it makes sense

Advertisement