Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going over the "limit" of "unlimited" broadband.

Options
  • 24-03-2016 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have been charged for over use of my "unlimited" EIR broadband. The customer care??? centre is a disgrace. I have lost forty euro phone credit being left on hold by inexperienced and rude staff. My broadband was cut off for four days with no re-imbursement. I cannot see anywhere in the terms and conditions where there an be can "limit" on an unlimited package. This is false advertisement and a breach of my consumer rights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Hi Aaron,

This nearly happened to me. Here is the thread I started about it:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057058602/1#post87021390

Have you only recently started using efibre?

If so check any documentation you received.

As mentioned in my thread, I contacted Eir via the live chat option and had no problems.

Hope you get sorted.

Drake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

AaronF74 wrote: »
    I have been charged for over use of my "unlimited" EIR broadband. The customer care??? centre is a disgrace. I have lost forty euro phone credit being left on hold by inexperienced and rude staff. My broadband was cut off for four days with no re-imbursement. I cannot see anywhere in the terms and conditions where there an be can "limit" on an unlimited package. This is false advertisement and a breach of my consumer rights
    Hi  AaronF74,

I'm sorry to hear this. 

Have you called 1901? This is a freephone number for customer care.

As pre the terms and conditions a fair usage would apply to an unlimited package, you can view this here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf

Note 5.
    Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a
    more appropriate level. In the event of a customer refusing or neglecting to select an appropriate level, eir may upon due notice terminate the provision of the facility to the customer. The additional charge for excess usage is €2.03 per GB
    (€1.65 ex. VAT) up to a maximum of €24.40 (inc. VAT) per month. eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month

Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AaronF74

Pamela,

There was an “overspend” on my January bill. I was charged an extra €22.50. I rang the customer care team and was told that this was a mistake on behalf of EIR and I was assured that it would not happen again. The agent told me that I should not incur any other charges as my package was “unlimited”.  This overspend was then refunded. Not at any stage in this conversation was I informed of any “limit” on my unlimited?? broadband.

I have a tech savvy teenager who has a powerful PC. As it turns out, he had been uploading and downloading large amounts on his PC. I have been informed that in February as well as January (which EIR informed me that it was thEIR mistake) that I exceeded the fair usage policy. I do not dispute or deny exceeding this limit and now that I am aware of it, I will be taking measures to ensure it does not happen again. IF I HAD BEEN INFORMED OF THIS WHEN I RANG IN JANUARY, I WOULD HAVE TAKEN THESE MEASURES EARLIER.

I am disgusted with the treatment I got from the customer care?? representatives. I work at sea and do not have access to my mobile phone for two weeks a month. I came home last Tuesday to find a few warning text messages on my mobile phone, requesting that I ring a 01-(Dublin) number—NOT 1901. I rang this number at 1845. Spoke to a customer care rep and was then put on hold for 20 minutes. EIRs office hours are up until 1900 so if I had not hung up and tried again, I would have never known that the care team were all on their way home. I did not receive any other forms of contact (EMAIL) warning me.

My broadband was cut off Wednesday morning before I had a chance to speak to anybody and was not re-instated until Friday evening. I spent nearly three hours being put on hold/ignored and hung up on and all this was to this Dublin number the text message had requested that I ring.

On Friday I was then informed that a dispute will be raised and this was most likely a mistake by EIR and my broadband was eventually re-connected.

Yesterday, when I rang to see why the €100 extra on my February bad not been removed, I was informed that the dispute was declined.

Please show me where I can find an explanation for this in your terms and conditions.

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eir have a 1TB FUP, thats 1000GB or 1000000MB. Its not insignificant. Your son would have to jump on a fair few torrents to hit that in a month.
    . eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf

ED E wrote: »
    Eir have a 1TB FUP, thats 1000GB or 1000000MB. Its not insignificant. Your son would have to jump on a fair few torrents to hit that in a month.
    . eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month
    That's very true. I was on to the Tech support team, who were very helpful. They informed me that in one ten day period, a device in my house downloaded/uploaded 700GB. They will be able to identify what this device is once I get back home and contact them when I'm beside my router. I might be selling a PC in the next few weeks.....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

Hi  AaronF74,

I'm sorry to hear this. 

Have you called 1901? This is a freephone number for customer care.

As pre the terms and conditions a fair usage would apply to an unlimited package, you can view this here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/Part3.1.pdf

Note 5.
    Where customer usage exceeds the specified monthly download/upload limit appropriate to the customer's chosen level, the company reserves the right to charge the customer for the excess use or to request the customer to select a
    more appropriate level. In the event of a customer refusing or neglecting to select an appropriate level, eir may upon due notice terminate the provision of the facility to the customer. The additional charge for excess usage is €2.03 per GB
    (€1.65 ex. VAT) up to a maximum of €24.40 (inc. VAT) per month. eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month

Pamela 

Seriously ? Who reads every single one of the terms & conditions and small print in every single contract they enter into?

Unlimited broadband should be exactly that or else rename it. I'd be asking comreg what they think of Eir 's punitive charges for normal use of their service.

What's the point in having 4k, ultra hd content if an "unlimited" plan can't cover it.

That's very true. I was on to the Tech support team, who were very helpful. They informed me that in one ten day period, a device in my house downloaded/uploaded 700GB. They will be able to identify what this device is once I get back home and contact them when I'm beside my router. I might be selling a PC in the next few weeks.....!
    Apologies AaronF74When you contacted customer care regarding your usage you should have been advised, I will be sure to have this flagged.
    Please feel free to PM me your account number and I'll check your account and make sure the charges you have been charged until you were made aware of the fair usage policy waived.

Pamela 

Hi Pamela,
    Many thanks for sorting this issue out for me.
    Aaron

Hi Pamela,
    Many thanks for sorting this issue out for me.
    Aaron
    No problem AaronF74,
    More than happy to look into this :)
    I'll be back to you shortly via PM.

Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Keep the PC ......  sell the kid   :D

• Advertisement

Hi Pamela,
    Could you try and figure out why EIR have added back on the charges that you waived. I feel I'm now back at square one. Please tell me this was a mistake on behalf of EIR,
    Aaron

Hi Pamela,
    Could you try and figure out why EIR have added back on the charges that you waived. I feel I'm now back at square one. Please tell me this was a mistake on behalf of EIR,
    Aaron
    The reason why you have been charged on the April bill for usage  AaronF74 is because the fair usage was exceeded again in March.
    The fair usage of 1000GB still applies. 

-Pamela 

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Pamela,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]You have my account details; please confirm for me how 449.963GB which is my March usage exceeds the fair usage policy of 1000GB. I am after getting another "warning text" from your "customer care" team.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]After I contacted you, the charges were waived for the February bill, to which I thanked you. A week later these charges appeared back on my bill.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Was this just done to take this issue off this public forum before it generates momentum?[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Please explain,[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Aaron[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You have my account details; please confirm for me how 449.963GB which is my March usage exceeds the fair usage policy of 1000GB. I am after getting another "warning text" from your "customer care" team.
    Make sure you're reading combined usage, not just down or just up, just in case. 

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

Pamela,

You have my account details; please confirm for me how 449.963GB which is my March usage exceeds the fair usage policy of 1000GB. I am after getting another "warning text" from your "customer care" team.

After I contacted you, the charges were waived for the February bill, to which I thanked you. A week later these charges appeared back on my bill.

Was this just done to take this issue off this public forum before it generates momentum?

Please explain,

Aaron
    Are you looking to have the fee waived every month?? Perhaps take it easy on the downloads? As you said "I have a tech savvy teenager who has a powerful PC. As it turns out, he had been uploading and downloading large amounts on his PC" - Maybe the warning text is only exactly that- a warning to take it easy BEFORE you go over again? Is that beyond the realm of possibility? No?

RezwoK wrote: »
    Are you looking to have the fee waived every month?? Perhaps take it easy on the downloads? As you said "I have a tech savvy teenager who has a powerful PC. As it turns out, he had been uploading and downloading large amounts on his PC" - Maybe the warning text is only exactly that- a warning to take it easy BEFORE you go over again? Is that beyond the realm of possibility? No?

I have neither the time nor the the crayons to explain all this to you

Make sure you're reading combined usage, not just down or just up, just in case. 

Yeah, that was end of month combined usage. A significant drop on the February usage. The son is finding it a lot harder to type after I microwaved his keyboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Until today i thought my unlimited broadband was unlimited, That was until I saw a charge on my account for exceeding the "Fair Usage". I contacted Eir and was told I had to pay as I exceeded the fair usage policy. There are 6 of us in the house and dont use normal TV. The vast majority of this was through Netflix. As well as over 200 GB of games from Steam from birthday vouchers.

Anyway I remembered I had a chat transcript from when I was talking to a chat rep from eir about upgrading. The question I asked was "Is there any download limit as there are 6 of us in the house and we would easily use a few 100 GB a month" The answer was "No".

As soon as I said this to the chat rep today and told him I could email the chat transcript he reversed the charge. Will this happen any month I go over the 1024GB Limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Yeah, that was end of month combined usage. A significant drop on the February usage. The son is finding it a lot harder to type after I microwaved his keyboard
    Switch to Sky - it is actually unlimited with no FUP.

Advertisement