Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance over 15 years old?

Options
  • 31-07-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I've been offered a nice 1997 barge in great nick and am considering it as my new daily.
    What's the story with some insurance companies not doing cars over 15 years? I don't want to get into something I can't insure in a couple of years...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

My car is 15 years old and the only issue I had this year (aside from the usual JDM-phobia that some of them have) was that FBD wouldnt quote me for full comp; said they only offer TPFT insurance on cars over 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

djimi wrote: »
    My car is 15 years old and the only issue I had this year (aside from the usual JDM-phobia that some of them have) was that FBD wouldnt quote me for full comp; said they only offer TPFT insurance on cars over 15 years old.

Cool, that's good to hear. I haven't rang them yet but I tried a few online quotes and some would others wouldn't. Probably nothing to worry about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Have you been quoted on a 15+ year old car?
    If yes, what companies and what cost please?

My Daughter just came home from Australia and cant get an insurance quote on a 2001 Yaris.
    She had a full NCB before she left but that has passed its best before date.
    Her 3.5 years driving in Aus is not being taken into consideration.
    She is 27 with a full licence and clean driving record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

123 might be able to give her a quote. Also you might consider bringing it up if any politicians knock on your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies so far.
    Ideally id like to hear from people with actual experience of insuring a 15+ year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

macnab wrote: »
    Have you been quoted on a 15+ year old car?
    If yes, what companies and what cost please?

My Daughter just came home from Australia and cant get an insurance quote on a 2001 Yaris.
    She had a full NCB before she left but that has passed its best before date.
    Her 3.5 years driving in Aus is not being taken into consideration.
    She is 27 with a full licence and clean driving record.

Almost the same situation. Try axa using AIB. Worked for me, and my car is from 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ideally id like to hear from people with actual experience of insuring a 15+ year old car.

Some insurers will and some won't.

Some insurers will insure someone with no bonus and some won't.

She is going to have to pick up the phone and ring them all, there is no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

I'm insured with its4women with a car that's turning sweet 16 this year :D I think this is my 3rd year with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Also try ARB LLOYDS Underwriters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Keisha07

My sister got her 00 matiz covered by just4women in January less than €400 might be worth a try, good luck sorry meant its4women

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are many, me included. But you probably know that the most important details will vary, car engine size, alarm, location, NCB etc

This is why she should ring many brokers and insurers and get quotes.
    One of the links I searched and gave you will contain info about another person back from Australia and their solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

The AA were the best for me for the last two years. Two different cars, both over 15 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Allianz were the cheapest last year for an 01 passat 1.9 TDI for me and I havent found anyone cheaper than them so far this year even though they're quoting me 50% more than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

how much millage does she do? i'm insured with AIG through first ireland for classic car insurance on my 4.4L 840 bmw. Car needs to 15 or older with limited millage of 6000 a year and driver must be 25 or older for 400 euros a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

What a death trap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

2002 car insured with Allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had two years with Allianz with a 99 Avensis.
    They are still insuring older cars AFAIK, however the best way is to get a Broker to search for a good deal for your Daughter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm insured on a 01 Golf GTI with 123.ie. €297 :)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Jesus. wrote: »
    What a death trap

Nothing to do with the question I asked, but I'll bite.....why is it a death trap?

Nothing to do with the question I asked, but I'll bite.....why is it a death trap?

thats the excuse the insurance companies are using for 15 years or older cars,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Skatedude wrote: »
    thats the excuse the insurance companies are using for 15 years or older cars,

Provide a link confirming that comment if you don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Skatedude wrote: »
    how much millage does she do? i'm insured with AIG through first ireland for classic car insurance on my 4.4L 840 bmw. Car needs to 15 or older with limited millage of 6000 a year and driver must be 25 or older for 400 euros a year.

Yes but you need another car that's insured as your primary car to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Wasn’t there a thread a few weeks ago about BOI insuring older cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Allianz were one of the few to quote my 03 Mondeo. €750, not cheap, but cheapest. Axa was €1250. 123.ie, BOI, AA were among those who took my time and details before refusing to quote the above vehicle without any explanatiom aside from 'computer says no'. My driving record is clean and 5 years NC.

Never mind USC, I feel with compulsory nature of car insurance here this flyaway rise should be the bigger election issue. My last premium 2 years ago was about €450. I have full sympathy for your daughter after been out of the country for 18 months its been a real mountain for me to climb to get back on the road again. I did my best by buying a cheap car at €900 with a years nct but tax and insurance for the year is touching €1500. Considering how many people had to leave Ireland we don't half make it harder than hell to get back on their feet again. People need cars for work. Its not like we have a realistic public transport system to use as an alternative.

Yes but you need another car that's insured as your primary car to do this

Nope, it's my only and daily car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Pretty obvious that was sarcasm?!

A colleague of mine was getting insurance quotes today for a 15 year old Golf. Cheapest was AA. I'm also with AA. Try them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Lia_lia wrote: »

A colleague of mine was getting insurance quotes today for a 15 year old Golf. Cheapest was AA. I'm also with AA. Try them. :)

I didn't get that one. Maybe because I'm using a sarcasm detector from the 50's full of valves, dust and woodworm.

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »

Yeah I got the sarcasm, it was the point of the post that eluded me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement