Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance over 15 years old?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Skatedude wrote: »
    my 97 bmw 840 is insured with aig classic car insurance for 400 euro a year, limited to 6000k millage a year and it's my only & daily driver.

Don't you need another full time car in order to get a classic policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You do, and specifically you do with AIG classic policies, so this has a whiff of BS or there's a lack of disclosure going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Nope, it's my only car.

It was first ireland brokers that got me onto the aig classic policy a few years ago, try them and see, but i was already a customer if that came into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Skatedude wrote: »
    my 97 bmw 840 is insured with aig classic car insurance for 400 euro a year, limited to 6000k millage a year and it's my only & daily driver.

Does a car not have to be at least 20 years old to be a "classic car"?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tanko wrote: »

Nope, it depends. Any exotic car (think any Ferrari, Porsche, etc.) is deemed to be classic by most classic insurers when 15 years old. Some other cars too, like sports cars, convertibles, etc. anything special really

Up to you to check with / convince your insurer that your car is classic when it's not yet 20 years old :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Nope, it depends. Any exotic car (think any Ferrari, Porsche, etc.) is deemed to be classic by most classic insurers when 15 years old. Some other cars too, like sports cars, convertibles, etc. anything special really

Up to you to check with / convince your insurer that your car is classic when it's not yet 20 years old :)

When is a '99 Corolla considered a classic car?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

tanko wrote: »

nope, cars can be insured as classic when 15 year or older, Cars are considered classics when they are 15 to 25 years old, but it varies depending on where you are, ie US cars need to be much older to be considered classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adeel1982

Boxymo is crap . They fit a box in ur car n monitor ur every move n if u do 35 in 30km/h road they threaten u to cancel the policy . I have not received my insurance disc for a month n they want euro 20 to send it quickly .

Pay 100 extra and drive normal . Regret getting this insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Current quotes are making me cry. Quotes the last few years have been between €275 - €350. Cheapest quote so far has been about €750, without any of the extras on my previous policies, breakdown, open driving, claims protection. I have not been involved in any accidents but have not driven in a year so my no claims is still valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

Fbd say they wont take on a car 12 years or older...i try axa and 123 and they say if its over 15 they wont do it...is any company doing insurance for a 15 year or older car now? Or what else can i do..car is 01 and taxed and ncted..thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

My car is 20 years old and liberty insure me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

spacekiwi wrote: »
    Fbd say they wont take on a car 12 years or older...i try axa and 123 and they say if its over 15 they wont do it...is any company doing insurance for a 15 year or older car now? Or what else can i do..car is 01 and taxed and ncted..thanks

Ring....... everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Give First Ireland a call:

http://www.firstireland.ie/

sKeith wrote: »
    My car is 20 years old and liberty insure me.

Seems to be the case, that if you have a old vehicle currently insured its no prob..its when u want to insure a different vehicle thats old. It then has to be classed a new policy....just wondering has anyone else had this bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Mine is 17 years old and 123.ie are covering it. In saying that I've been insured with them since 2008. Dunno if that has any bearing...

ARB through Chill are worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Moanin wrote: »
    Mine is 17 years old and 123.ie are covering it. In saying that I've been insured with them since 2008. Dunno if that has any bearing...

As they are your current insurer they have to quote you, they would not quote me for my 16 year old car. I got refused by about 13 companies, in the end my current insurer (AA) gave the best quote.

I heard Bank of Ireland give reasonable quotes for older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Seems to be the case, that if you have a old vehicle currently insured its no prob..its when u want to insure a different vehicle thats old. It then has to be classed a new policy....just wondering has anyone else had this bother?

I am with FBD and the car was originally my mothers 99 toyota yaris so I have 4 years drivers experience. Got my first policy under my own name with FBD on that very car for 805 last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭6541

Same issue, had to go through a broker in the end, insurance went up 200 euros from last year, all because of having an older car. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Axa will insure a car over 15year old. I was going with them through Aaran brokers but have never dealt with people so stupid in my life. We went trough creane & creane in the end and they were great to deal with. AXA for once were surprisingly competitive and BOI car insurance have some great rates give them a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

So let me get this right, if someone today buys a car any older than 2001, they will only manage to get a few insurance companies, if any, to quote. Does that not make any cars older than 2001 practically useless, no matter how good a condition it's in ?

Roughly how much more are older cars to insure btw, is it 200-300 more ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Arkady wrote: »
    So let me get this right, if someone today buys a car any older than 2001, they will only manage to get a few insurance companies, if any, to quote. Does that not make any cars older than 2001 practically useless, no matter how good a condition it's in ? Roughly how much more are older cars to insure btw, is it 200-300 more ?

You're about 6 months behind with this news

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/insurers-refuse-to-cover-older-vehicles-31397715.html
    http://www.theaa.ie/blog/car-15-years-old-follow-aa-advice/
    http://www.thejournal.ie/car-old-hard-insurance-change-allianz-2232262-Jul2015/

There were numerous forum threads about it at the time.

Most seem to be able to get a renewal with their existing insurer.

beauf wrote: »
    You're about 6 months behind with this news

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/insurers-refuse-to-cover-older-vehicles-31397715.html
    http://www.theaa.ie/blog/car-15-years-old-follow-aa-advice/
    http://www.thejournal.ie/car-old-hard-insurance-change-allianz-2232262-Jul2015/

There were numerous forum threads about it at the time.

Most seem to be able to get a renewal with their existing insurer.

Thanks, but do you know the answers to what I actually asked ? The questions I asked are not answered in any of the articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

I got my 21-year-old car insured with AXA at a very reasonable rate, and it's a new policy with them I might add.

Lellostag wrote: »
    I got my 21-year-old car insured with AXA at a very reasonable rate, and it's a new policy with them I might add.

Do they take into account how long you've owned the car, or will they be reasonable with a recently bought older car as well ?

The answer will depend on such a range of variables to be pretty much unanswerable.

Anyone buying any car, has always had to ring around and if its affordable for their budget. The answer to that will be different for everyone.

All that's really happened is the baseline cost for driving has increased, by the amount of the increased premium and/or the cost of a newer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Aviva will cover you.
    But my insurance went from €350 last year to €750 this year.
    Feckin' nuts.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Aviva will cover you.
    But my insurance went from €350 last year to €750 this year.
    Feckin' nuts.

Thats a renewal though not a car you've just bought? Mine hardly increased but some in the office it went up by 500 ish. I don't know anyone who has bought an older car recently. Most people I know have just bought much newer cars, or got rid of them completely.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/car-insurance-comes-at-a-premium-for-drivers-who-have-no-choice-1.2522806

Thanks everyone...may giv boi a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Arkady wrote: »
    Do they take into account how long you've owned the car, or will they be reasonable with a recently bought older car as well ?

Good question, but I have no idea to be honest. Perhaps the most accurate answer you'll get to that question is a 'maybe'...

All you can do ia call them and get a quote and take it from there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement