Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance over 15 years old?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just been a victim of these so called parasites aswell.
    Been with my current insurer over 15 years.No accidents ,claims convictions etc.I have zero penalty points but they wont insure me on anything over 15 years old (Aviva btw)

Aviva have been one of the biggest shower of ***** in this whole insurance debacle, being one of the first companies to start refusing older cars.

Absolute gangsters and I would love if consumers could find some way of getting them where it hurts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Aviva have been one of the biggest shower of ***** in this whole insurance debacle, being one of the first companies to start refusing older cars.Absolute gangsters and I would love if consumers could find some way of getting them where it hurts.

They will when people start driving around uninsured. Folk can only take so much until its blatantly obvious they're getting screwed and then they rebel.

Its also the case here that the less wealthy you are the more screwed you get. Isn't it always?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Jesus. wrote: »
    They will when people start driving around uninsured. Folk can only take so much until its blatantly obvious they're getting screwed and then they rebel.

Its also the case here that the less wealthy you are the more screwed you get. Isn't it always?

It might well be the case. A few reasons why I thing insurers might not want 15 year old plus cars are:-
    As they are of low value the owners won't be inclined to spend much on maintenance, repair and keeping good tyres on them.
    They are likely to be driven by both older and younger drivers. The former are not used to the current roads and do not have the money for upkeep.
    The latter are young and inexperienced and so have accidents and again not enough money for upkeep.
    This is just guesswork on my part. One thing that I notice is that cars last much longer than they used to. !0 yr old plus cars were a rarity until the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Allinall

Your thinking is a bit naive there.

If insurers don't want your business, because they think you're too high a risk, they'll be more than happy for you to drive uninsured.

Added bonus will be when you get caught and put off the road.

Most outrage against insurance companies is totally misguided.

Allinall wrote: »
    Your thinking is a bit naive there.If insurers don't want your business, because they think you're too high a risk, they'll be more than happy for you to drive uninsured.Added bonus will be when you get caught and put off the road.
    And if it begins to happen en masse?
    So you think its okay to be charged insane prices to drive an older car; perhaps the only one you can afford? Why don't other European Countries get charged through the roof?

Its the claims situation that's driving it IMO but insurance companies are culpable in that also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

4ensic15 wrote: »
    As they are of low value the owners won't be inclined to spend much on maintenance, repair and keeping good tyres on them.

What is the NCT for then? No way to pass that with bald tyres and/or a car that is generally f**ked up.
    They are likely to be driven by both older and younger drivers. The former are not used to the current roads and do not have the money for upkeep.

Insurers ask for your particulars when you apply for a quote. So that excuse is absolute bunkum really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

So you think its okay to be charged insane prices to drive an older car; perhaps the only one you can afford? Why don't other European Countries get charged through the roof?

Its the claims situation that's driving it IMO but insurance companies are culpable in that also.
    Other European countries do not have the level of awards that are paid in Ireland. Other European countries do not tolerate unlicensed driving or drink driving. In Switzerland if there is an accident, the driver breaking any law is deemed to be at fault no matter what happened. Sit in a parked car with bald tyres and be held responsible when someone crashes into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Allinall

To be honest, I don't think you are thinking logically.

To take your first point: if uninsured drivers became the majority, insurance companies wouldn't care a jot. They may get levied a bit more, but their major risk is gone.

As to the second point, they don't care whether you can afford a brand new car, or a 20 year old banger.

Why should they ?

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Other European countries do not tolerate unlicensed driving or drink driving.
    Neither is it tolerated here. In fact drink driving in Ireland is no higher than the rest of Europe. The penalties are severe.

Are unlicensed drivers and drink driving the reason for such premium hikes on old cars? Nonsense.
    To be honest, I don't think you are thinking logically.To take your first point: if uninsured drivers became the majority, insurance companies wouldn't care a jot. They may get levied a bit more, but their major risk is gone.
    Their major risk would be gone along with all their customers. They'd last a long time in that scenario.
    Besides are you suggesting that citizens are powerless to do something about this and should take whatever sh1t they're shovelled? Suppose the insurance companies start charging 2 grand for every car over 10 years old. Just sit back and take it?
    As to the second point, they don't care whether you can afford a brand new car, or a 20 year old banger.Why should they ?
    I know they don't! But neither should the hard pressed customer care about insurance profits or losses if their car is perfectly fine and they've never been in an accident or got points......... Why should they? Its within the Government's power to do something about this. But you seem to think the insurance companies are blameless for this scenario developing. I put it to you that they are far from that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

To be honest, I don't think you are thinking logically.

To take your first point: if uninsured drivers became the majority, insurance companies wouldn't care a jot. They may get levied a bit more, but their major risk is gone.

As to the second point, they don't care whether you can afford a brand new car, or a 20 year old banger.

Why should they ?

Insurance works by spreading the risk and cost of claims. Reducing the number of customers makes it harder to make a profit. Wasn't that the whole point of Lifetime community rating in health insurance because there wasn't enough people paying for insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 teaparty

I contacted Itsforwomen today looking for a quote for a 01 Fiesta. They told me they do not insure cars over 15 years old (contrary to what the comments above have said). I was with them before 2 years ago, but currently not with them.... perhaps they will only insure you with a 15 yr old car if you continue your policy with them/don't leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Your thinking is a bit naive there.

If insurers don't want your business, because they think you're too high a risk, they'll be more than happy for you to drive uninsured.

Added bonus will be when you get caught and put off the road.

Your post is a more than a tad naïve you mean, to wit:
    1. They have failed to produce any data at all to substantiate their claim that older cars are of higher risk. The PAC recently took issue with them for similar reasons/sweeping statements made as well, again without any credible backup.
    2. Most outrage against insurance companies is not only warranted, it's actually, imho, under-done, and too many people walk away and don't challenge them on issues of fact, procedure and all sorts of things. Btdt, have the t-shirt.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I know a few people who just don't bother with a car now. They just get a hire car instead when they need it. Its cheaper all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

beauf wrote: »
    I know a few people who just don't bother with a car now. They just get a hire car instead when they need it. Its cheaper all things considered.
    Do they have to maintain an insurance policy, or is that not even possible if they don’t own a car? If not, do they lose their no-claims bonus after a couple of years?

I think the overheads from the current tax and insurance setup are very discouraging for people who would like to minimise their use of a car, either by hiring occasionally or keeping their own car for infrequent use.

You will lose their your no claims if you don't have insurance for a couple of years. (which is another sharp practice by insurance companies).

Though the ones I know are returning to Ireland from being away for a couple of years, or never had insurance here. So they lose nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I think the overheads from the current tax and insurance setup are very discouraging for people who would like to minimise their use of a car, either by hiring occasionally or keeping their own car for infrequent use.
    100% agree.
    €2k+ tax and insurance on 10+ year old car before I drive as far as the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

What companies will insure 15+ year old cars now. A new policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

What companies will insure 15+ year old cars now. A new policy?

I couldn't find any - had to change my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brahms10

AXA insured for me on a 17 yr old car through AA. Via AA was cheaper than AXA direct. I was with RSA before comp with bonus protection.

AXA gave me TPFT but with bonus protection for +50% more than the RSA pf the previous year.

This whole business stinks and is typical of an Ireland where the politicians are so divorced from the things that really matter to ordinary people.

What planet are they on that they think we can just go out and buy a new car? I drive an old petrol car because I have to, and I'm screwed on every front, even though my mileage is tiny.

Oh, and we have no public transport here whatsoever.

They'd make you sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I keep saying this, but get quotes and the first refusal to quote keep a record of the company and ask for it in writing.
    Then go to the declined cases committee of Insurance Ireland (the one that was raided recently) and ask for a review.
    If everyone with a >15yr old car did this it would soon straighten them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I keep saying this, but get quotes and the first refusal to quote keep a record of the company and ask for it in writing.
    Then go to the declined cases committee of Insurance Ireland (the one that was raided recently) and ask for a review.
    If everyone with a >15yr old car did this it would soon straighten them out.

If you have a renewal quote from your current insurer, or quotes from any other company, the Declined Cases Committee will not entertain you. Their function is to obtain cover for those unable to secure it ANYWHERE else. They are not there to get you a good quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

Try getting it insured as a classic 215 euro fully comp does not matter engine size 1 liter to 5 liter or 150 euro TPFT with fbd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

homingbird wrote: »
    Try getting it insured as a classic 215 euro fully comp does not matter engine size 1 liter to 5 liter or 150 euro TPFT with fbd.
    Does it need to be a second car?

Does it need to be a second car?

When I last checked it has to be a 2nd car and it was limited mileage. It was a pretty low limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭homingbird

Yes you have to have cover on a main daily driver or be a named driver as i i am on someone else's policy & fbd are the only classic car insurer that do unlimited mileage on classic cars that is why i am with them like someone else said all the rest only give you a 2 to 3 thousand mile limit the more miles you want with them the more you pay. The other insurers ask you the mileage on your car fbd dont. I know of people that are with other insurers that regularly go over this limit they might as well not be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I've been using classic car insurance for years with Aig, Allienz, Axa etc and never required a main car.
    My car is my only and daily car., but I am limited to 6k millage a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Skatedude wrote: »
    I've been using classic car insurance for years with Aig, Allienz, Axa etc and never required a main car.
    My car is my only and daily car., but I am limited to 6k millage a year.
    What age does the car need to be

I've got an 18 year old car doing less than 6k annually

Have you read all the small print on your policy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

What age does the car need to be

I've got an 18 year old car doing less than 6k annually

Have you read all the small print on your policy

It used to be for cars over 15 (jap imports not covered), but I think first ireland, who is my broker, changed it to 20 years this year.

And I've checked the small print,I always do on renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement