Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Giles to be dropped by RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I think what really decided for me that is was time for Giles to go was when they were covering the B&H second leg. The presenter asked Giles if he felt that B&H had underperformed on the previous Friday and he said "Well I dont know cos Friday was the first time that I've seen them". Friday, in reference tot he first leg of the tie.

Giles is the one who is always giving out about people "not being good professionals", yet he shows up to studio and writes articles about ireland's clash with B&H having not even gone on to youtube and had a look at the team.

Would strongly agree with this. There should be a minimum level of knowledge to go with the one-liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Peist2007 wrote: »
    No one better at calling the previous 45 minutes' football than Giles. Don't be asking the man to explain the ins and outs of Juventus'transfer policy. With regard to the man's age, i believe it not to be that relevant in the context of what Giles' function as a pundit on RTE is - watch the match and describe what is happening and where each team is doing well or going wrong. I havent noticed any drop off in being able to analyse what is actually happening on the pitch.

Any half decent football fan watching at home can do this, we don't need John Giles to tell us. At least with the likes of Neville and Carragher, their analysis is a lot more interactive and their insights a lot more relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Giles is one of those gombeens who says that 'football is a simple game' but talks as if he is somehow privy to the secrets of the game and feels obliged to tell the ordinary man at home what is going on as if we can't make it out ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Are Dunphy and Brady staying on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The problem is that thankfully other experts don't agree with him.
    Giles hasn't a clue. He's from a different generation. He also made a balls of the Ireland team while in charge with his out-dated tactics.
    Wrong.
    Only for a couple of terrible refereeing decisions in the final qualifier Giles would have taken Ireland to the 1978 WC finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think what really decided for me that is was time for Giles to go was when they were covering the B&H second leg. The presenter asked Giles if he felt that B&H had underperformed on the previous Friday and he said "Well I dont know cos Friday was the first time that I've seen them". Friday, in reference tot he first leg of the tie.

Giles is the one who is always giving out about people "not being good professionals", yet he shows up to studio and writes articles about ireland's clash with B&H having not even gone on to youtube and had a look at the team.
    What's even more amazing/ridiculous about this is... I think he did the coverage for at least one of Bosnia's games in the 2014 World Cup?

red sean wrote: »
    Wrong.
    Only for a couple of terrible refereeing decisions in the final qualifier Giles would have taken Ireland to the 1978 WC finals.
    Poor example, our qualifying group was literally just us, Bulgaria and France - and we got 3 points from 4 games while finishing bottom of that group.

Just an example of the importance of analysis... Hoolahan was terrible today, but he has had a good spell with the Irish team and been part of some crucial goals against top opposition - we're clearly better for him being in the squad, and it was always the right thing to do to bring him on. Haven't been able to get RTE coverage over here for 18 months, but Giles and Dunphy were always big on playing him a lot more and criticising MON for not doing so.

If Giles and Dunphy were French, they would currently be writing off 'this Hoolahan chap' a a joker, spoofer, nothing player, and every other meaningless insult to his playing ability under the sun. They would be saying he shoudln't even anywhere near a major tournament, etc etc.

So can anyone tell me, is that what they are saying about Wes on the TV at the moment?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jesus Billy, even when you can't hear the RTE punditry you still moan about them!

• Advertisement

Jesus Billy, even when you can't hear the RTE punditry you still moan about them!
    Well I'll likely be back by the second round of qualifiers, so...!

I just don't understand how some people consider him and Dunphy to be good pundits when they don't know or care who is playing, it's truly mystifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Billy. Your hatred makes your posts insignificant.
    You are so negative in your posts in this thread. Letting yourself down.

And also, Wes was not terrible today. Wasnt excellent obviously.

And when has Giles ever used the words, "spoofer, joker, nothing player"????
    The answer is never, Dunphy uses them a lot and you just throw Giles in there and blame him on Dunphy's words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

enzo roco wrote: »

The answer is never, Dunphy uses them a lot and you just throw Giles in there and blame him on Dunphy's words.

He was terrible.

He gave the ball away pretty much every time he got it.

For a ball playing player he was very poor today.

He was terrible.

But he didnt, please watch it back again. No where near EVERY time he got the ball, but he gave it away a few times.
    He tried to play football, tried to pass. He wanted the ball. It was tough, the french were on top at that stage.
    You are being way too harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Did Dunphy say that O Shea should have been playing before the game?

tanko wrote: »

He did say it before the game. Just when they came on air, and the team was announced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,916 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

tanko wrote: »

Yeah. And now he won't shut up about it. We always have a Ronaldo on our bench, don't we?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Ah now Wes was crap today

We have over hyped him cause he can play football without booting it

No need to defend him if hes crap though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah. And now he won't shut up about it. We always have a Ronaldo on our bench, don't we?

It wouldn't have made any difference to the result no matter what team we put out.

Kobe248 wrote: »

There is no need to go overboard and call the man crap just because Ireland lost. He wasnt crap.

Hatred of what exactly? I don't think you've actually read my posts much, I have the world of time and respect for Giles. He's just done as a pundit and has been for quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I dont think there's any need for anybody to get hugely aggressive or outraged at Giles leaving. The panel has been great over the years, but it certainly has run it's course, and probably should have been changed a couple of tournaments ago.

There are so many ads nowadays, and so little time give to the panel discussion, that it's hardly worth watching anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't think Wes was that bad, it's just Dunphy goes way over the top in his praise for him and some people just go the other way because of that.

But he didnt, please watch it back again. No where near EVERY time he got the ball, but he gave it away a few times.
    He tried to play football, tried to pass. He wanted the ball. It was tough, the french were on top at that stage.
    You are being way too harsh.

He gave the ball away too often in my opinion.If Glen Whelan done it he'd be crucified by everyone.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Hatred of what exactly? I don't think you've actually read my posts much, I have the world of time and respect for Giles. He's just done as a pundit and has been for quite some time.

But why do you put words in his mouth that he never said???
    And yes I think you have a lot of hatred for the pundits on Irish tv, Ive read loads of your posts.

Giles was right. Long looked for that peno.

Kobe248 wrote: »

Exactly. Nothing wrong with saying a good player had a bad game. And he did.

Were it not for him, we would not have even been playing today, so it's not a slight. I think we're all very proud of Wes' contributions and I think his pass to Brady will be remembered for a pretty long time. Hats off to him, but he did have a bad game today... which is fine. It happens. We were further than most expected us to get and essentially playing with house money as a long shot bet to win the game.

The team did us very proud not just this month but over the last two years, don't forgot Poland and (likely) Germany will be in the QFs and Scotland were one of the best teams not to qualify. Then there is Italy and Belgium... 4 of the 8 QF teams could be teams who were in our group or qualifying group... and the 5th being the host nation who also have one of the most talented teams in the world, that we faced today. Not a lot has been made of that, we didn't only exceed expectations but we had probably the hardest route to the QF of any team, and we nearly did it.

Exceptional, and Wes deserves more credit than most. But it doesn't make him infallible. Pretending he didn't have a poor game today would be counterproductive.

But why do you put words in his mouth that he never said???
    And yes I think you have a lot of hatred for the pundits on Irish tv, Ive read loads of your posts.
    Not sure why you're hung up on it, but are you honestly trying to claim that Giles doesn't use terms like spoofer etc to describe players or managers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Giles said he thinks England are better in attack than France....okay Johnny take your ****ing head out of the EPLS ass for once(which is ironic considering two of them play in England)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Giles was right. Long looked for that peno.

But then he said the referee was right, which is nonsensical, but that's Giles for you. And yeah it was a total dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

surripere wrote: »
    But then he said the referee was right, which is nonsensical, but that's Giles for you. And yeah it was a total dive.

Yeah I couldnt understand that when Giles said "He was looking for it, but it was the right decision".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

He was terrible.

His legs are gone, he is probably our best player on the ball but there is a reason he didnt start

As Duff said last week once your legs are gone thats it. He wont get the time and space he needs anymore, he was shocking when he came on, we needed urgency and intensity but he just doesnt have it anymore. He can pick out a ball when he has time and space, but he wont get it against good midfields . Hes 34 we should still keep for the next campaign as a sub if he doesnt retire but his days in the side are numbered.

Not sure why you're hung up on it, but are you honestly trying to claim that Giles doesn't use terms like spoofer etc to describe players or managers?

No, if you watch the panel that you complain so much about, then you would know. Giles has said that the interviews by managers after matches are full of spoofing.
    But he doesnt use the words that you said, "Spoofer, Nothing player, joker". We all know Dunphy has overused them but you put Giles in along with everything Dunphy does. And I find it annoying.
    I am hung up on it, as look at your post in this thread, you have hatred towards pundits on rte. But wont admit it.
    But I'm sure you'll just ignore the points I made and play it off that you have no problem with the pundits. Read your posts, you have a vendetta against them, especially Dunphy.

No, if you watch the panel that you complain so much about, then you would know. Giles has said that the interviews by managers after matches are full of spoofing.
    But he doesnt use the words that you said, "Spoofer, Nothing player, joker". We all know Dunphy has overused them but you put Giles in along with everything Dunphy does. And I find it annoying.
    I am hung up on it, as look at your post in this thread, you have hatred towards pundits on rte. But wont admit it.
    But I'm sure you'll just ignore the points I made and play it off that you have no problem with the pundits. Read your posts, you have a vendetta against them, especially Dunphy.

John Giles: There is an element of a spoofer in Louis van Gaal... but he has authority
    Going back to this, you should calm yourself down. I'll go back and quote one of my earlier posts since you have your mind made up on what I have wrote, without actually reading what I have actually wrote.
    me wrote:
    Giles would be right up on the higher end of people I'd like to meet, not just in the Irish or footballing sense either. Seems very, very authentic and a genuine definition of a classy 'celebrity' would conduct themselves (he'd hate that tag though, so let's say public figure instead!

If you consider me talking about how much respect I have for Giles as a person as 'hatred', you should re-evaluate your position.

If you think me pointing out that Giles' views are largely dated, that he criticises rotation while he rarely played over 30 (of 42) league games in a season to be hypocritical, or that he does not know the names of the players on the pitch or much about them and thus cannot make a good judgement on them (case in point: he would be slating Hoolahan as not being good enough of a player based off of today), you should stop thinking in such black-and-white terms and realise that you have more options than a) loving someone so much you consider them infallible, or b) hating them with a vicious passion.

John Giles: There is an element of a spoofer in Louis van Gaal... but he has authority

Going back to this, you should calm yourself down. I'll go back and quote one of my earlier posts since you have your mind made up on what I have wrote, without actually reading what I have actually wrote.

If you consider me talking about how much respect I have for Giles as a person as 'hatred', you should re-evaluate your position.

If you think me pointing out that Giles' views are largely dated, that he criticises rotation while he rarely played over 30 (of 42) league games in a season to be hypocritical, or that he does not know the names of the players on the pitch or much about them and thus cannot make a good judgement on them (case in point: he would be slating Hoolahan as not being good enough of a player based off of today), you should stop thinking in such black-and-white terms and realise that you have more options than a) loving someone so much you consider them infallible, or b) hating them with a vicious passion.

I just said he gave out about managers spoofing. But you still wont admit you put him in the same sentence as Dunphy. Just admit you shouldnt have say Dunphy AND Glies use these words. Go on and admit it. But you wont, you always have to be right...

Im glad you have respect for him. But then you dismiss him straight away.
    I never said you hate Giles, You hate rte pundits.
    You know Giles played more than 30 games each season. Your stats are from wiki, which leave out cups and europe.
    Your point about hoolahan doesnt make much sense. And these names seem to be very important to you. I'm going straight to wiki to memorise every player at this tournament. Therefore I will know so much about the game of football.

I just said he gave out about managers spoofing. But you still wont admit you put him in the same sentence as Dunphy. Just admit you shouldnt have say Dunphy AND Glies use these words. Go on and admit it. But you wont, you always have to be right...
    Of course I put him in the same sentence as Dunphy, the ttwo of the have the same issues about snap judgments on players they have never seen or heard of before, that they really should know about before kick off.

That's simply unprofessional.
    Im glad you have respect for him. But then you dismiss him straight away.
    And I have listed the reasons why, and you refuse to engage them.
    I never said you hate Giles, You hate rte pundits.
    You also seem to have missed my posts where I say Sadlier is a very good pundit, and in other threads have said Brady is alright and Cunningham despite his lack of charisma or presence actually does know what he is talking about more often than not. I've been calling for change for two years from Dunphy & Giles, precisely because RTE has other decent pundits.
    What amazes me is that Sadlier typically does both (researches and analyses well), and some people hate him for it.

Different post:
    the fact is that Sadlier tends to know his stuff whereas Giles genuinely struggles to know who most of the guys on the pitch are.

Do yourself a favour and try reading my posts before commenting on them so as not to come across so emotional and ignorant, thanks.
    You know Giles played more than 30 games each season. Your stats are from wiki, which leave out cups and europe.
    Yes, that is why I said (of 42) - to point out I was talking about league as other games also fluctuate in terms of how many you play.

Giles was rotated in his career, and it's a fact. I actually had the figures off as I must have confused him with someone else, but he about 75% of league games during his time at Leeds. If you played less than him being critical of managers rotating players is thus, completely hypocritical.
    Your point about hoolahan doesnt make much sense. And these names seem to be very important to you. I'm going straight to wiki to memorise every player at this tournament. Therefore I will know so much about the game of football.
    Don't worrry, you're not being paid taxpayers money (and a handsome amount, I would imagine) to be on the national broadcaster. Giles is. That's kind of why I said it was unprofessional to not research... obvious, no?

My point about Hoolahan makes perfect sense, you just don't seem interested in tackling it. It's called research. Sadlier does it. Cunningham does it. Carragher and Neville do it. Good pundits do it. And then, amazingly, when it comes to the game they know about the players they are discussing. Sure, they'll know more about Ronaldo than they will the bench players for Iceland, but they'll at least know what they could gather. That way, they won't wind up writing off someone straight away as Giles & Dunphy so often do, and would have done with Hoolahan today were he from another country, and not the guy they've been pining to get on the pitch more often.

Of course I put him in the same sentence as Dunphy, the ttwo of the have the same issues about snap judgments on players they have never seen or heard of before, that they really should know about before kick off.

That's simply unprofessional.

Well at least you admitted it, well in Billy.
    So I was correct.

Ive read a lot of your posts. You have some amount of hate over pundits.

And I never wanted to engage in your reasons, I just wanted you to admit it, and you have.

12 times in his career he played 30 or more league games in a season.

Well at least you admitted it, well in Billy.
    So I was correct.

Ive read a lot of your posts. You have some amount of hate over pundits.

And I never wanted to engage in your reasons, I just wanted you to admit it, and you have.

No, actually I haven't. If you want to point out where I said I hate all the RTE pundits, go ahead. Otherwise, stop responding because you're not contributing anything in any way related to my posts.

12 times in his career he played 30 or more league games in a season.

Yeah I corrected that - he played around 75% of league games during his time with Leeds, which makes up his peak years. That would equate to about 28/29 league games per season in todays 38 game league.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's actually a very good thing, but the guy did get rotated back then just like players get rotated today (where the game is also played at a much higher pace, and I would imagine between more European ties and internationals, there are more matches per year in total).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

There is no need to go overboard and call the man crap just because Ireland lost. He wasnt crap.

Im not going over board

He was crap

There is no other way to say it

Just cause we like a player doesnt mean we should ignore the obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's fair to say he's now far too easily befuddled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It's fair to say he's now far too easily befuddled

Kept calling Williams, Williamson last night even after Dunphy referring to him as Williams a couple of times himself.

I don't think player names certainly over the last 10/15 years anyway was his strong point.

He's still sharp when talking about the game in general, like that piece he just did on the shortcomings of the German attack, don't think there are many other analysts who could explain it as clearly and concisely as Gilesy.

• So is Sunday D-Day?

Wonder will they mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So is Sunday D-Day?

Of course they'll mention it.

Dumphy will probably give him flowers and descend into an alcohol fuelled flood of tears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Coat22 wrote: »
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So is Sunday D-Day?

Of course they'll mention it.

Dumphy will probably give him flowers and descend into an alcohol fuelled flood of tears

That or dunphy will go on a rant about how giles made rte coverage good and will then come out with something like the producer ran away and left his wife for a young one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Coat22 wrote: »

nothing like Eamon getting all tired & emotional on TV - thats what makes RTE coverage good (Brady seams to have made gritted peace with Eamo , but you can sense his underlying anger - Giles , should have gone 2 years ago, was a great player, manager and decent pundit - but the last few years shouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

bout time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Did they do a tribute video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Did they do a tribute video?

Small montage alright, seen it pop up on a few FB pages last night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement