Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Jpmarn wrote: »
    The weather channel is quoting thunderstorms for the Limerick area this Saturday and Sunday.

Yeah its currently looking like a decent risk for widespread thunderstorms Saturday afternoon.

Good widespread instability with a few 100j/kg-1 of cape.
    386270.png

Reasonable deep layer shear of up to 30knts
    386271.png

Decent lapse rates.
    386272.png

Still alot can change up until then so will check back in on things tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

An almighty downpour here near Arklow
    I've not often seen rain like it
    Absolute rivers of water running down the yard
    Literally a flood in minutes and still on going
    No thunder,no hail,just huge quantities of rain,very noisy on the shed roof

My weather station is sadly out of action at the moment

That shower never really stopped,another just as heavy shower has caught up with it,some flash flooding here now as this has been going on for an hour and 20 mins plus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

recent lightning strikes up north towards Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Much of a downgrade on tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Looks like there might be some coast huggers in the East tomorrow

Yes, I am one of these east-coast huggers and the blast of wind from the west coast hitting my pantry this evening is quite beautiful, fresh air again on its long journey from the west to east.

There was a few gusts an hour ago in north county dublin from a small cell, but calm now.

Knock Shannon and Cork forecast currently showing thunderstorms tomorrow from mid morning to around midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Knock Shannon and Cork forecast currently showing thunderstorms tomorrow from mid morning to around midday.

Hopefully they dont make it to Westmeath - I'm playing golf at midday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

CL__HDLWcAAi8XD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice clap of thunder just south of Clonmel now.

• Advertisement

Nice clap of thunder just south of Clonmel now.

Aye a very marked convergence zone has been developing inland from Waterford all the way up to Wicklow
    Its noticeable on satelite and now on radar
    I can see cb's building on it here at its northern end maybe 20 km's inland of Arklow,lightning likely anywhere along that 200km shower train track I would think?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nice and early in the day for development, could be an eventful afternoon in the east midlands, temp climbing nicely here on the Dublin/ Kildare border

Nice tops beginning to form

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 21 May 2016 - 05:59 UTC Sun 22 May 2016

ISSUED 09:28 UTC Sat 21 May 2016
    ISSUED BY: Chris

Scattered showers are likely to turn heavy and thundery across Ireland and into parts of Britain during the afternoon on Saturday. Cold air aloft and afternoon surface heating will allow Surface to 500mph lapse rates to reaching into the lower 40s across Ireland, where the most frequent and widespread lightning is likely to occur during the afternoon. Lapse rates are less across Britain, but CAPE values of 300-500j/kg could allow for a few showers to turn thundery there in the afternoon.

Saturday evening and overnight a plume of unstable air will move out of France pushing an area of showers and thunderstorms northeastwards. There is still a lot of uncertainty about the track of these storms, and it appears most of them will stay offshore, however it is close enough to include a risk. It should be noted that if these storms do move across Kent and up the east coast of East Anglia they would likely require an upgrade to SLGT as they could be quite electrically active. The situation will be monitored later this afternoon and through the early evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Some distant thunder coming from the south here in Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder and lightning in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Play has been suspended at the Irish Open Golf at the K Club co. Kildare due to lightning threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Just heard thunder in D22.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Fairly much constant thunder overhead here from a shower that came in from Monasterevin direction, heading towards the K Club just now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Sunny here in Clondalkin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

There seems to be a decent cell on the Meath/Kildare border. Just a heavy shower here a few hours ago, nothing much compared to other areas. Never seem to do well here when there's thunderstorm activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Had a couple of beefy showers but no thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Got a hail shower in my location in the Ballysimon area of Co. Limerick. No threat of thunder in my part of the country. You have to go at least 80 miles up the M7 to get to the thunder showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Taken at 14:42 looking north from Skerries

20160521_144148_zpssxnkbg9g.jpg

20160521_144207_zps5lojkru9.jpg

Quite a few rumbles off that I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Decent cell over Enfield now, fairly frequent strikes heading towards Kilcock, seems to be tracking towards Dunshauglin region in next 30 minutes.

Hmmm...
    CASEMENT AERODROME SW 10 HEAVY THUNDERST 12 85 1.4 1001

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

..and then it goes quiet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Sky turning black over finglas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

diceyd wrote: »
    Sky turning black over finglas
    Has to be thunder I that