Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Trying to post photo,cant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

A very active storm moving into s Kildare from Nw Carlow at the moment,it's really pepped up activity
    That's going to make a v line for Naas and the k club area on top of what's already in that area
    It's quite a thunder shower train

How do i put photo up from phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Decent cell over Enfield now, fairly frequent strikes heading towards Kilcock, seems to be tracking towards Dunshauglin region in next 30 minutes.

I am between Enfield and Kilcock and the thunderstorm was nothing but spectacular. Watched it approach for the guts of an hour and the thunder was more or less constant for about a half hour. plenty of sheet and forked lightning. Saw the mast on the hill nearby being hit twice.

diceyd wrote: »
    How do i put photo up from phone?

Use attach files at the bottom of the reply to thread box
    Use post reply not the quick reply

• Advertisement

Dark sky over finglas

Thats lightning in KK. Looking good so far

Aye it's all the same convergence zone,a little further inland than the one that formed earlier and it's only really getting going now
    Potentially people on the northern flank of that one around Kildare/Meath could have a lot of thunder before the shower train passes through fully
    It should be a long narrow band that won't move east but carry on Ne so the bottom end of it has to get all the way to the top end of it ,Eg if you are in Kildare or Meath,the storms over north Kilkenny are heading your way with all the stuff between before it
    Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Non stop thunder and lightning here in kilkenny City

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah thunder rumbling regularly for about one and half hours now in Kilkenny, some of it was near.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thunder right over Kilkenny city the past 20 mins or so.

• Advertisement

Very close now and plenty of flashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

me89 wrote: »
    Non stop thunder and lightning here in kilkenny City

What part of town? I'm in city centre so can't see much...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

RobertKK wrote: »
    Very close now and plenty of flashes.

where are you?

chris2007 wrote: »
    where are you?

As the crow flies about 6 miles north east of Kilkenny City, on the hills.

The lightning kind of stopped with my post :p but now it is lashing out.

Round 2!

Was going to post how it has come back to life, three loud bangs here since the restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hondaguy01

plenty of lighting around east Carlow / Wicklow border at moment with downpours

Looks like the train is heading into south Dublin,there will be a flurry of posts shortly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Large area of maybe thundery rain incoming...lets see what this brings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

I may be wrong but looking at the radar, the narrowish band has really expanded and when that does happen, the chances of embedded thunderstorm activity almost always drops. For Dublin, I'm expecting nothing more than a very wet few hours. Fingers crossed I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Rain rate has dropped since it was over KK, the Mountains appear to have killed this one off which is a great shame.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    I may be wrong but looking at the radar, the narrowish band has really expanded and when that does happen, the chances of embedded thunderstorm activity almost always drops. For Dublin, I'm expecting nothing more than a very wet few hours. Fingers crossed I'm wrong!

I think you're right. Looks like moderate/heavy rain for the next hour or two

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rumble of thunder here now in Dublin 16 (with heavy rain).

patneve2 wrote: »
    I think you're right. Looks like moderate/heavy rain for the next hour or two

I'll take that back - 2 decent rumbles a few minutes ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Radar looks like two+ hours of heavy rain for Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some ESB outages I presume would be lightning related....

6wVC2iz.png?2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Few pics from today of the storm system/train. I'm in nw wexford beside the blackstairs mountain.
    First pic taken just after 3.
    2016_05_21_15.jpg
    Next pic taken at 6.30 looking nw
    2016_05_21_18.jpg
    Pic taken looking n towards mt leinster at 6.30
    2016_05_21_18.jpg
    Last pic taken looking n as well just before 7.
    2016_05_21_19.jpg

Didn't actually realise how far away the system in the last pics was till I looked at ME radar. 20 - 30 miles away as the crow flies. Could have been further away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Bad phone quality unfortunately but better than nothing.

Ya lucky buggar.:p :)

I'd love to get a lightning shot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Doesn't look too good here in North Tipp ...

wwlYdnB.jpg

Plenty of claps of thunder in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Plenty of lightning and booms from that system over West Laois heading NW. Fr Ted on TV and Pat Mustard said boom right on queue :D. Got pretty gusty too in the downpours

• Advertisement

Was getting up for work at 5.30 PM and saw a huge flash and the sky sounded like the sky was cracking open.

Some pretty loud claps and very bright flashes, I was getting ready for work so couldn't see what type of lightning it was.

Some pretty heavy thundery rain also. I live at the very south of Kildare 10 K north of Carlow Town.

I wouldn't call it a Thunderstorm because my definition of a Thunderstorm is something that is severe and lasts a few hours with many flashes a min never mind a few mins. Flashes and claps every 5-10 mins isn't a Thunderstorm but still, it was nice to see and hear !

Advertisement