Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

RTE weather last night said change of some severe thunderstorms this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

jimmynokia wrote: »
    RTE weather last night said change of some severe thunderstorms this weekend.

Nothing on the 9pm weather saying "severe" ???

Anyways shear is practically zero for this weekend's setup so it'll be just pulse type storms . Severe threat is very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Nothing on the 9pm weather saying "severe" ???

Anyways shear is practically zero for this weekend's setup so it'll be just pulse type storms . Severe threat is very low.

I think the risk is of Biscay imports which wouldn't really require local Ireland conditions ahead of them to be producing home grown storms,they'd have made in France on the label if they survive the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I think the risk is of Biscay imports which wouldn't really require local Ireland conditions ahead of them to be producing home grown storms,they'd have made in France on the label if they survive the trip

In an easterly flow?? :confused:

The is where the best Thunderstorms in my memory came from in the mid to late 1980's , Biscay, and never to be witnessed in Ireland since, proper real Thunderstorms, almost continuous frightening flashes and sky shattering thunder., it would roll in over several hours in a dark orange red sky and take hours to move off again, truly a great time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The is where the best Thunderstorms in my memory came from in the mid to late 1980's , Biscay, and never to be witnessed in Ireland since, proper real Thunderstorms, almost continuous frightening flashes and sky shattering thunder., it would roll in over several hours in a dark orange red sky and take hours to move off again, truly a great time.
    I remember these aswell.
    Why they haven't occurred for over 20 years confuses me. It's clearly a warmer climate now but conditions don't allow. The lack of Summertime bay of Biscay storms pbly deserves it's own thread.
    Having said that quite a few of the younger generation have never experienced such weather type

I remember these aswell.
    Why they haven't occurred for over 20 years confuses me. It's clearly a warmer climate now but conditions don't allow. The lack of Summertime bay of Biscay storms pbly deserves it's own thread.
    Having said that quite a few of the younger generation have never experienced such weather type

Yes the younger generation call 3 claps and a few flashes a Thunderstorm. :D

There are a lot of Thunderstorms that form in Biscay these days but don't blow over Ireland.

I don't think the climate is warming at all, in fact quiet the opposite, granted we had some bad Summers in my time but I always remember a lot of warmer spells.

We used to have roses in our garden in December in the 1990's and as someone who worked out doors for 7 years I can honestly say that since about 2008 the Summers have got Duller and Cooler. And not as much intense downpours.

I remember a Summer thunder shower , those that give about 4 or 5 claps of thunder ( what the young ones today call a Thunderstorm) and seeing steam rise of of roofs and roads once the sun came out. I don't see much of this in Summers today.

Speaking of the 1980's, I remember the most fierce storm of that time in my memory, of course I was very young maybe 5 in about 1985 and we were coming home from the Graveyard and the fork lightning was terrifying and at one point that night had me under the blankets with my eyes closed and fingers in my ears. A lot of people after said they never witnessed anything like it before, I wasn't the only one terrified it was scary for those who witnessed it. Lasted many hours from the evening well into the AM.

So we've a risk of thunderstorms now. Well it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A convective forecast just released from convectiveweather.co.uk/
    Day 2 Convective Outlook VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 27 May 2016 - 05:59 UTC Sat 28 May 2016
    ISSUED 21:49 UTC Thu 26 May 2016
    ISSUED BY: Chris
    An area of humid, unstable air will drift in from the south across southern parts of Britain and Ireland between Thursday evening and through Friday.

This combined with daytime heating on Friday afternoon will produce CAPE values of 500-800j/kg. The highest CAPE is expected across S/Cen England; into Wiltshire / the Salisbury plain, where we will monitor the potential for an upgrade to SLGT. Moisture may be a limiting factor with some computer models only developing isolated convection.

However given the CAPE available even these isolated storms could produce a lot of lightning and some locally heavy downpours. Bulk shear remains relatively weak, so while storms will be slow moving, updrafts will be generally of the pulse variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Looks like thunderstorms will form in the next few days.
    Yes the younger generation call 3 claps and a few flashes a Thunderstorm. :D

There are a lot of Thunderstorms that form in Biscay these days but don't blow over Ireland.

I don't think the climate is warming at all, in fact quiet the opposite, granted we had some bad Summers in my time but I always remember a lot of warmer spells.

We used to have roses in our garden in December in the 1990's and as someone who worked out doors for 7 years I can honestly say that since about 2008 the Summers have got Duller and Cooler. And not as much intense downpours.

I remember a Summer thunder shower , those that give about 4 or 5 claps of thunder ( what the young ones today call a Thunderstorm) and seeing steam rise of of roofs and roads once the sun came out. I don't see much of this in Summers today.

Speaking of the 1980's, I remember the most fierce storm of that time in my memory, of course I was very young maybe 5 in about 1985 and we were coming home from the Graveyard and the fork lightning was terrifying and at one point that night had me under the blankets with my eyes closed and fingers in my ears. A lot of people after said they never witnessed anything like it before, I wasn't the only one terrified it was scary for those who witnessed it. Lasted many hours from the evening well into the AM.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/July1985_Thunderstorm.PDF

I live in the same parish as Coon as mentioned in the report which had the 21 mm of hail/rain in 15 minutes.
    No electricity, intense lightning and the hail/rain on the roof was deafening.
    I was only 9, we were all terrified as it had being going on for hours.
    Our mother had us saying loads of rosaries.
    We were bringing in square bales of hay when it started, never saw lightning so close, several strikes extremely close, we were happy to get home alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

As mentioned on the Weather forecast warnings across Europe tomorrow and possibly over the weekend. Also mentioned for Ireland threats of local heavy showers tomorrow with Saturday and Sunday giving potential for thunderstorms.

cQC03Gf.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Potential isolated thunderstorm activity this evening.
    Lightning symbol right over me on the met eireann graphics so I'll be keeping an eye out towards the southeast.very dead and overcast here at the moment.

Sunny spells this afternoon and many places will be dry at first, but there will be some scattered heavy showers in some southeastern areas.
    Heavy showers will break out in other areas through the afternoon and evening with isolated thunderstorms possible.
    Highest afternoon temperature of 15 and 18 or possibly 19 degrees Celsius in light easterly breezes.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Looks like thunderstorms will form in the next few days.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/July1985_Thunderstorm.PDF

I live in the same parish as Coon as mentioned in the report which had the 21 mm of hail/rain in 15 minutes.
    No electricity, intense lightning and the hail/rain on the roof was deafening.
    I was only 9, we were all terrified as it had being going on for hours.
    Our mother had us saying loads of rosaries.
    We were bringing in square bales of hay when it started, never saw lightning so close, several strikes extremely close, we were happy to get home alive.

Wow, thanks a lot for that, so I was right with the year, certainly was a frightening storm. Great to have a record.

From reading the record I forgot about the crop damage, this is something I remember from bad storms in the 80's, 85 might have been the worst but there were some pretty massive ones after this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If you search this forum for old weather threads with 'thunderstorm '85/'86' as search info, you will find a big discussion on this. Including newspaper articles and eye witness accounts.

Met Eireann's rainfull totals for the July '85 event: http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/July1985_Thunderstorm.PDF

Old boards thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=296970

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Previously active system exiting Wales, will it make it to the East coast and come back to life?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Strike between Nenagh and Roscrea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Europe is lit up like a Christmas tree

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=10

Grabs popcorn...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Europe is lit up like a Christmas tree

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=10

That's a pretty cool site.

Grabs popcorn...

Im grabbin the coke then..:)

• Advertisement

LEIN wrote: »
    That's a pretty cool site.
    the app is ok too

This is the site I go to for live action http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#y=53.3178;x=-5.9712;z=4;t=3;m=sat;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

Anyone near Gort? This looks interesting.

387120.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

In Galway City and I heard a long rumble of Thunder, the Sky to the East of Galway City is pitch black.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Anyone near Gort? This looks interesting.

387120.jpg

Some big cloud tops showing up on the Sat pics. Look at Wales, activity there most of the afternoon and still getting sferics.

K2vP8Uc.jpg

16.4C here already near Tralee with much more convection then yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Sunny near Arklow and warm
    I can see hiroshima clouds developing over the wicklow mtns
    Almost flat calm here surprisingly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Big convective drops of rain here in Kildare now. Can see some decent convection over the Wicklow Mtns

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunderstorms in the knock airport forecast between 3pm-8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There is a large cumulus cloud growing just east of Limerick City. Not showing up yet on the radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Jpmarn wrote: »
    There is a large cumulus cloud growing just east of Limerick City. Not showing up yet on the radar.

Clouds don't show on radar mate , satellite

Advertisement