Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Anyone know how long this is in for in cork ?

Very hard to estimate without loads of data, but I'd guess around 30mins until the severe element is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Almost cleared now about another 15mins.
    Should dry up then for the night.
    Fun to listen to but always kind of in the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

This is just the start of the summer season. We could b in for a good summer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The distance ratio (lag from lightning to thunder) is approximately 0.32 km per second, or 0.2 miles per second of lag. This is due to the speed of sound being approximately 720 mph (it is actually a bit higher but this makes calculation easy), which would reduce to 12 miles per minute, and therefore 0.2 miles (12/60) per second. The old rule from my pre-metric childhood was one mile for every five seconds, then one kilometre for every three seconds.

So if there's three seconds between lightning and thunder, the bolt hit (or travelled) about one kilometre away from your location, whether that's a ground strike or in cloud to cloud. The rolling aspect of thunder can be the result of different travel times from the bolt to your location, or echoing from terrain. You've probably noticed that a very close strike often goes off like a cannon shot since in that case there are fewer chances for echoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

what direction is it travelling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

The rumble I hear from start to finish was ten to fifteen seconds in duration, as long as I've ever heard.

I have heard lightning so close there wasn't a rumble, just a crack and bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    what direction is it travelling?

Variable, currently seems to be moving south easterly, but that could change in 10 minutes and it could come back and hit cork again.

Seems to be weakening rapidly now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Road outside my house after that downpour.

9u9ov4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

@northgirl..Have a look at the Cork safety Alerts page on FB..bad flooding.

Colser wrote: »
    @northgirl..Have a look at the Cork safety Alerts page on FB..bad flooding.

drove through a few :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's mad, what's that water running under the road ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

All quiet on the western front, lets hope it stays that way ;)

Not sure tbh but once it gets dark there's gonna be some damage done to cars out :mad:there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The rainwater drainage system overflowed and in this case it looks like the water couldn't lift the access cover so was forced out the sides underneath the tarmac causing it to break up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yea the CC didn't raise the drain or put a collar of sorts on it to meet the new tarmac. So easy for water to ingress and make ****e of the road.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Yea the CC didn't raise the drain or put a collar of sorts on it to meet the new tarmac. So easy for water to ingress and make ****e of the road.

not the first time this has happened tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Yes thay was some storm in Cork City I was waiting for the bus in Ballyphehane and the rain was so heavy that rubbish was even flowing down the road and water was running down in all directions. The lightning was really close alright with some really loud claps of thunder at one point it was just right above the bus shelter and the thunder that followed was loud and long. It was great to watch though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes thay was some storm in Cork City I was waiting for the bus in Ballyphehane and the rain was so heavy that rubbish was even flowing down the road and water was running down in all directions. The lightning was really close alright with some really loud claps of thunder at one point it was just right above the bus shelter and the thunder that followed was loud and long. It was great to watch though

Sitting in a very wet and presuming partly metal bus shelter doesn't sound ideal in those conditions!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The atmospherics in North Clare are very strange,there's a downwards warm breeze the fish in the river are going absolutely mental.
    That downward breeze is blowing all the moths,flies etc into the river and the fish are gorging on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Drove from Offaly to Limerick this evening. There was a lot of heavy downpours and thunder/lightning for the journey.

• Advertisement

Antwerp is getting a hammering there at the moment. The storms look as if they might drift into the south of England.

Live feed here: http://www.hzs.be/en/webcam-hzs

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Had a couple of strikes over west cork just there. One sure fire way to stop lighting, is to reach for your camera.

f1GB8Sf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Very explosive in the Netherlands/nw Germany right now, that region was under a Level 2 from estofex.org.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#y=50.7733;x=4.7134;z=6;t=3;m=sat;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

Those storms have gone on for hundreds of miles since this morning. That's the great thing about being on a continent. Sometimes I wish I lived there too.

Franeker and ameland in the firing line in the netherlands now.

http://www.fryslan.frl/stationsbrug

https://www.vvvameland.nl/webcam/webcam-haven

I think I'll go to florida ;).

http://i.imgur.com/HVwEzNR.jpg

yeah, you can use beach brollies without being blown away lol :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

http://i.imgur.com/HVwEzNR.jpg

Florida is the business for holidays. Pretty much guaranteed a storm every afternoon/evening during the summer months. Here's some of my holiday pics....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055954823

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its been very stormy here in Southern Poland since last Friday. Very warm to hot daytime temperatures have been setting off vicious thunderstorms from mid to late afternoon.

As soon as the temperature hits around 30c...Boom.

Two people were struck by lightening and killed over the weekend in the mountains where I live.

• Advertisement

Some good action all night in the East of England between Ipswich and Norwich.

Advertisement