Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Iancar29 wrote: »
    All in the name of weather guys! It is the weather form after all !

It's "forUm" not "form" Aarrrrgh!!!!!

200_s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Looks like a shower building in the Abbeyleix area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Danno wrote: »

No rainfall returns on the radar just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

highdef wrote: »
    No rainfall returns on the radar just yet.

There is on the M.E radar and another one in the dunlavin area (kildare/wicklow border ).

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    There is on the M.E radar and another one in the dunlavin area (kildare/wicklow border ).

They could be showers but could just as easily be anaprop. There is a lot of it showing up in various parts of the country today. RE the kildare/wicklow border one, it looks very strange on the net weather radar but if it is real, it will be passing over the junction 3 area of the M9 shortly, which is north of Castledermot and south of Kilcullen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Danno wrote: »

Got a few drops from that shower about 20 minutes ago (west of Abbeyleix), very dark overhead but I don't think much will come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

HighLine wrote: »
    Well the poster had obviously realised his mistake and corrected the spelling of the post on here and the video title before his "education" but obviously couldn't change the text in the video.

And, IMO, a :rolleyes: doesn't come across as humorous.

No offence/offense taken although I'd be pretty sure the origin of lightning came from the word lightening so I reckon the lad who originally dropped the 'e' is the real culprit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There was a convective shower development in North East Limerick (Castleconnell area) and South East Clare. But it didn't get to mature into a full fledged thunderstorm.

Met Eireann 07:50

Thursday night: Calm and humid with patches of rain, drizzle and fog. There is a risk of some pockets of heavy rain developing with localized thunderstorm activity. Temperatures not falling below 12 to 16 degrees.

Here's hoping for a Thunderstorm like 1985 !!!! haha if only !

Met Eireann 10.24 Thunderstorm threat gone.

Tonight outbreaks of rain will spread eastwards and turn persistent in western and northwestern areas. Lowest temperatures will stay around 12 to 16 degrees in light variable or southwesterly breezes with mist and fog forming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Jpmarn wrote: »
    There was a convective shower development in North East Limerick (Castleconnell area) and South East Clare. But it didn't get to mature into a full fledged thunderstorm.

I got a pic of a anchor formation about 18:00 in Limerick city to the north west towards Clare, I'll dig it out when I get home from work. No action from it though.

D6SGj9nl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Convective Outlook

StaticMapService.GetMapImage?1m2&1i7787&2i5044&2e1&3u6&4m2&1u410&2u555&5m5&1e0&5sen-US&6sus&10b1&12b1&token=15297largethumb.php?date=2016-06-10

Convective Outlook VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 05:59 UTC Sat 11 Jun 2016
    ISSUED 20:59 UTC Thu 09 Jun 2016
    ISSUED BY: Chris

High pressure to the north of Britain will continue to weaken, leaving a slack pattern in place. At the same time, height falls will continue aloft as well as cooling of mid-levels over Ireland into the afternoon. The steeping lapse rates in Ireland may produce a few isolated heavy showers with thunder very late in the day and into early evening there.

A lot of cloud and some dynamic rain is expected during the morning across central England, but south of that, an area of instability will develop into the afternoon. CAPE values for 400-500j/kg will be possible into the afternoon, with LIs only neutral or marginally negative. These relatively weak thermodynamics combined with virtually no shear and the fact that a similar airmass did not produce much thunder on Thursday mean that this slight risk is on the low end, and may need to be downgraded. Convection should initiate in the slight zone between 1200-1400BST on Friday.

Mesoscale models indicate the warm/humid airmass will linger into the early evening across SCen England, suggesting a few heavy showers with marginal thunder risk may develop there into the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some early storms ongoing up north atm.

388438.png

Some chances further south later this afternoon as instability increases. Cloud cover is limiting the fun but wind convergence should set things off later.

388439.png

A large amount of convection now appears to be taking place in the southern third of the country, going by satellite imagery. We may have kickoff very shortly.

Yeah lots of cells popping up now. doubt they'll be as lightning active though as ones up north.

388450.png

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nasty looking sky citywest direction

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Bit of a squall line trying to develop south west of athlone. tasty looking ridge of cloud visible from my office window

As mentioned earlier, wind convergence is key to get things going under cloudy skies.

388457.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rikand wrote: »
    Bit of a squall line trying to develop south west of athlone. tasty looking ridge of cloud visible from my office window

Temperature dropped significantly and then 5 minutes later (aka now) the heavens have well and truly open out there.

The road is a flood! very very heavy stuff

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent strike in the north Wexford/east Carlow area. http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

massive bang of thunder here in Naas

And one further north, near Enfield. Downpour now and it's moving at walking pace....first rain in nearly two weeks at this location

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Monster rainfall Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Monsoon downpour now, nil thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Black clouds to my west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Moderate rain DN 22... Boring....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

A storm chaser captures a huge burst of wind and rain which explodes in the sky and crashes to the ground. Shot on August 8, this dramatic timelapse was shot by photographer Bryan Snider, 29, in Tucson, Arizona. The incredibly detailed footage shows a weather event known as a wet microburst which occurs when a cooled column of air sinks rapidly through the middle of a thunder storm. The unique storm phenomena affects an area of no more than two and a half miles and can generate winds of over 150 mph. New Mexico-born Bryan lives and works in Phoenix, Arizona, as a full time videographer.

An example of a wet microburst during a thunderstorm in Arizona

HD version here: https://vimeo.com/135811823

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

An example of a wet microburst during a thunderstorm in Arizona

HD version here: https://vimeo.com/135811823

is there an footage of that from underneath it? looks damn scary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    is there an footage of that from underneath it? looks damn scary.

It's not of this particular storm, but this is the first time I heard of one:

Advertisement