Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

This was it as just a few fields away maybe. Could hear it in the sky like a jetplane! Lots of people have seen it!

28cf21i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

pad199207 wrote: »
    This was it as just a few fields away maybe. Could hear it in the sky like a jetplane! Lots of people have seen it!

Hard to tell at that angle, why u be so close?! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Heavy thundery rain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

LEIN wrote: »
    Heavy thundery rain here.

Frequent thunder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

KNOCK AIRPORT(P) S 02 THUNDERSTORM 15 94 0.6 999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Just heard two rumbles south of here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time for a good thunderstorm in Germany last week. They were popping up all around me but little over us. Heard plenty of rumbles at times and just before I left for home got a good sideswipe from 1 storm at the airport ( ground operations suspended for 30 mins due to the lightning ).

Pictures of a Cb forming and punching through a cap cloud and pics of the neighbours roof that was damaged by hailstone a couple of days before we arrived last week. Seen plenty of cars too that were damaged by hailstone, the neighbour was saying he got a quote of €4000 to repair his !

8cnDkv9.jpg?2

9SmB69o.jpg?1

o9CjPhS.jpg?1

Acz5WdU.jpg?1

K6LwdHm.jpg?1

Had to run from this place as a storm approched , standing on the roof next to the Lightning rod wasent the best place to be.

SqXd7K6.jpg?1

LIpVrwJ.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Biblical rain here SE Sligo at the mo, no thunder, well I can't hear anything above the sound of the rain. Would not be surprised if some flash floods lower down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Ditto here in west Laois, torrential downpour for about 10 minutes easing off a bit now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Over the hill of Allen in Kildare today, pretty decent example

nb26fc.jpg

35bckuh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Very ominous skies here in D11 looking towards the city, lots of rising scud . Could be more funnels about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Can confirm looking west from Dublin City Centre sky is very BLACK and Heavy

Thunder at inchicore about 20 minutes ago followed by stupidly heavy rain with very bad flash flooding now

1st rumble just now

"Violent Shower" being reported for Mullingar for the 12:00 on Met Eireann....quite a rare report to see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

highdef wrote: »
    Thunder at inchicore about 20 minutes ago followed by stupidly heavy rain with very bad flash flooding now
    not a drop here but I can hear the thunder rumbling to the southwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Blast of thunder there shook my house in D12, loudest thing I've ever heard in Crumlin and I've heard grenades on this road...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Violent shower in Mullimgar rare to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Dublin 15. It's PISHIN out. Very heavy rain and possibly flash flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Violent showers is right. Significant damage caused by one such shower in the midlands has caused extensive water damage to some premises around the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Drove up to Dublin and in the last hour greeted with very heavy rain coming in the Naas road. At City West now and the rain has ceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

BTW Met Eireann Phoenix Park station reported 17mm rain at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A couple of claps of thunder in the last 5 minutes, and the rain is about to start, here in north east Kilkenny, very black to the north of my location.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

The rain in Dublin seems incredibly localized; it hasn't rained around the IFSC all day, so it was fairly shocking to see that there's flooding in Phibsboro!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Connacht, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Clare, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Heavy thundery downpours could lead to rainfall accumulations of 20 to 30mm and localized flooding this afternoon and early evening.

Issued:Tuesday 14 June 2016 14:00
    Valid:Tuesday 14 June 2016 14:00 to Tuesday 14 June 2016 20:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Not a drop of rain here at all, actually turned out to be a reasonably pleasant day with not much wind. Large enough cb clouds a few kms inland for most of the morning/early afternoon

andrew wrote: »
    The rain in Dublin seems incredibly localized; it hasn't rained around the IFSC all day, so it was fairly shocking to see that there's flooding in Phibsboro!

Watched it all happen in the distance .from the roof of my apartment block must setup a time lapse the next time.

Some pics of those Dublin Localised Floods ...Mini Microburst ?
    http://www.thejournal.ie/flash-flooding-hits-dublin-2823570-Jun2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

No rain in Donnybrook all day (am based just opposite Bective's rugby ground) except for a few drops before 9am when parking the car.

Heard that big clap of thunder this afternoon that a few people mentioned. When I saw the reports of flooding/heavy rain in other parts of the City it certainly shows how localised these things can be as Andrew commented on. Hope all in the affected areas are okay.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Lots of warnings for Dublin going out on social but weather seems to have passed.

• Advertisement

The midlands looks to be taking big rain hits today from looking at the Rain Radar

Advertisement