Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Pretty anger looking stuff heading for Dunshaughlin, I'm sitting under it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah looks good, pity, would look great in a photo out in open fields.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yeah looks good, pity, would look great in a photo out in open fields.

Like this http://s345.photobucket.com/user/Techbuzz_Ireland/media/weather%20today_zpsou2ziwcx.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Should be some large cells about today, met eireann saying there will be an increasing chance of thunderstorms this afternoon, the forecasts for Knock and Shannon are also forecasting thunderstorms with hail also in the knock TAF

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

Should be some large cells about today, met eireann saying there will be an increasing chance of thunderstorms this afternoon, the forecasts for Knock and Shannon are also forecasting thunderstorms with hail also in the knock TAF

Thunderstorms in Knock? It gives Hail Mary a whole new meaning:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A nice bit of graupel would really drop the temp!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Starting the day with a torrential shower here in Kildare now. July?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very heavy downpour just east of knock airport now

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Nice display of mammatus just passed over Booterstown, Co. Dublin now (Friday, July 1st, 14:10BST) and is heading out towards Dublin Bay. Got some pics on the 700D but won't get a chance post them up 'til over the weekend.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

14:40, Torrential showers here in Naas every 30 /40 mins, just by Junction 10 on M7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

9c at Knock at 3pm!

1st of July seems to akin to the 1st of December!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

torrential rain and big heavy hailstones came from this as it passed over Athlone

30lgr9s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

BIG BULGING Mammatus on the back end of that cloud that passed over the town

As taken from my office window on my not very good resolution phone...

Torrential Rain and Hail D20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Looks like a winter wonderland. This is in Carlingford, NE Louth. A few lightning strike were heard and father claims he saw a ball lightning hit something not far from us.

390449.JPG
    390450.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

jfSDAS wrote: »
    Nice display of mammatus just passed over Booterstown, Co. Dublin now (Friday, July 1st, 14:10BST) and is heading out towards Dublin Bay. Got some pics on the 700D but won't get a chance post them up 'til over the weekend.

John

Just a quick snap while sitting at the lights at Booterstown Avenue junction 14.06pm(sorry I don't know how to make photo smaller)

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Looks like a winter wonderland. This is in Carlingford, NE Louth. A few lightning strike were heard and father claims he saw a ball lightning hit something not far from us.

390449.JPG
    390450.JPG

Ball lightning... rare that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Ball lightning... rare that?

Thought so myself but the sky did light up so I would assume it is as fork lightning wouldn't light up the sky that much during the day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ohhh....rumble of thunder here in Dublin 16.

BOOM DN22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I just heard it there, and another getting closer :D.

Hearing rumbles of thunder herebin D20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Two loud bangs of thunder in Clondalkin within the last five minutes, plus a third one, which wasn't as loud. There was little between the first flash and rumble. There was a heavy shower of hail/rain. All gone quiet now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Two more rumbles heard in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Rain and ominous clouds all day in Dublin 5 but no rumbles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Just a quick snap while sitting at the lights at Booterstown Avenue junction 14.06pm
    Great pic Tickityboo ... many thanks for sharing. It nicely captures the display from a different angle. I was at the junction near Donnybrook Church/Bus Depot.

Later that evening there was the most vivid rainbow I've seen in a long time. Alexander's Dark Band (the strip between the primary and secondary) was very prominent as was the brightness of the sky inside the primary. The band is due to the preferential scattering of light towards the inside of the primary and outside of the secondary.

Rainbow1.jpg

Mam3.jpg

Mam1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

A lightning strike showing up in the last few minutes north of Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Risk for northern parts today: http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Drove from Co Down to Dublin in the late afternoon. The journey as far as Drogheda was in some of the most intense showers I have experienced in quite some time. There were several "rivers" crossing the motorway near Dundalk.

• Advertisement

Looks like a narrow but intense line of showers has developed over the north midlands stretching to Dundalk.

Advertisement